Sponsored by:

"Who gives a ***** about resale?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts
Default "Who gives a ***** about resale?"

Did you consider resale value when you purchased your 997?

Did you consider it when deciding on options?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

Resale is always a consideration when buying any vehicle (new or used), unless of course you plan to keep it forever.

While I did not make any option decisions on my 997S order based solely on "resale," I did consider the resale-ability of the options I did pick.

As much as I love this car, I know myself well enough to realize someday I will sell it to a very lucky person, who hopefully will appreciate my option choices a lot ($$).
Old 11-08-2005, 04:08 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not one bit of thought. Since the word "investment" can never be applied to car acquisition I just assume it's about losing money. Getting features and colors you like, the stuff that will make YOU happy is part of the initial enjoyment which should be unperturbed by hopeful strategies that might mitigate losses. BTW, except for a wild "paint to sample" choice, when you run down the option list they all seem like good choices to someone.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:15 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

No, if anyone cared about that then they should have bought a used one that already took the biggest depreciation hit...Bought it new because I fell in Love!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:22 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Didn't impact my decision making at all. I got the car a wanted, a 911. And i got all the options I wanted, nothing more, nothing less.

That said, my 996 held its value better than any car I've evr owned. Obviously, I was very happy about that. If my 997 holds its value as well that will be a very very good thing.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not one flippin' iota. What it's worth is what it's worth... not a second thought.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Speed
Pro

I considered re-sale value as an additional justification to get the 997S over the base model and also Sport Chrono. I guess not so much in terms of dollar value necessarily but in making the car more readily saleble as I think over time the "S" is going to be viewed by the marketplace as more desirable.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Did you consider resale value when you purchased your 997?

Did you consider it when deciding on options?
Absolutely. If I ordered exactly what I wanted, I would've ended up with a totally undesirable car when I'm ready to sell. Consider: pure orange exterior over black interior with orange deviated stitching, orange piping on mats, full aluminum trim, black wheels. Only I would want a car like that. Instead, I got a car I'm very happy with, and my color combination and options are great for resale.

I know I'm not going to keep the 997 forever, and resale is always on my mind. "Everything [material] is for sale at the right price."
Old 11-08-2005, 06:08 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Absolutely. If I ordered exactly what I wanted, I would've ended up with a totally undesirable car when I'm ready to sell. Consider: pure orange exterior over black interior with orange deviated stitching, orange piping on mats, full aluminum trim, black wheels. Only I would want a car like that. Instead, I got a car I'm very happy with, and my color combination and options are great for resale.

I know I'm not going to keep the 997 forever, and resale is always on my mind. "Everything [material] is for sale at the right price."
Holy $#*&! You have just described the car that I wanted!...maybe not the black wheels...

No, I never thought of resale that's why I bought a Speed Yellow cab with no heated seats.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Absolutely. If I ordered exactly what I wanted, I would've ended up with a totally undesirable car when I'm ready to sell. Consider: pure orange exterior over black interior with orange deviated stitching, orange piping on mats, full aluminum trim, black wheels. Only I would want a car like that.
Well you AND my brother would want a car like that... well, he'd settle for black interior but he'd chew his way through a chain to buy it were orange with blue interior on pure orange. I know, I know... but he was in love with a Gulf Oil sign as a kid.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:41 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Well you AND my brother would want a car like that... well, he'd settle for black interior but he'd chew his way through a chain to buy it were orange with blue interior on pure orange. I know, I know... but he was in love with a Gulf Oil sign as a kid.
Now that was a sick kid. ... I thought maybe it was because he was a die hard Florida Gators fan, or a Denver Broncos fan - before their latest darker blue color.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Holy $#*&! You have just described the car that I wanted!...maybe not the black wheels...

No, I never thought of resale that's why I bought a Speed Yellow cab with no heated seats.
your right, who would ever want a yellow 997 cab with no heated seats??? ...your car is worthless....as a favor to a fellow rennelist member, perhaps i could take it off your hands...i will even give a few dollars, being the kind fellow that i am!!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:08 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, THPorsche, JohnnyNarcosis' brother, and I are all wackos who want orange cars. But nobody else, right?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're worried about resale value and unusual colors or options no one else wants then it would be best to lease the car. That way you will not have to find a buyer and the lease residual is a fraction of the total cost of the vehicle including the "unpopular" options the costs of which you can then partially recoup.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 PM
AS
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

factory options weren't a consideration for me as far as car's resale is concerned.
not the case with 3rd party options though... the more customized it is, the more limited the mkt becomes for it.

Quick Reply: "Who gives a ***** about resale?"