Sponsored by:

Wanted: Bay area 997 PSE owner to be Lab Rat

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Wanted: Bay area 997 PSE owner to be Lab Rat

I've come up with a wiring mod to disable the "auto-quiet" mode of the 997 PSE, and to add a driver controlled "Loud/Quiet" mode activated from a dash mounted switch.

I have a 996, but not a 997, so I am looking for someone that lives in the San Francisco South Bay area that might be interested in participating in a proof-of-concept trial.

I would like to install the mod in your car, with the Porsche OEM muffler control switch (which I will give you the P/N for you to order for your car), and the associated wiring and verify the design. In return you can be the first one on your block to have the mod.

The goal of the POC is that the car's default will be loud, and will no longer automatically decide when to go into quiet mode. Only the driver can initiate the quiet mode.

When we have verified that the design is correct, I will publish the mod for all to use. I know that my wiring for the quiet loud portion is correct, what I need still to do is to optimize the cabin lighting wiring, and find the correct placement for the switch. I am looking primarily for cars with the Chrono Package.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is for the speed cutout?

I assume it would work on a non-SC car?

Wish I could help you out as I surely would like to disable the speed cutout.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:35 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

i have a 997 w/ PSE and would be willing to try the mod. i now drive it with the engine switch disconnected (on all the time).
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I've come up with a wiring mod to disable the "auto-quiet" mode of the 997 PSE, and to add a driver controlled "Loud/Quiet" mode activated from a dash mounted switch.

I have a 996, but not a 997, so I am looking for someone that lives in the San Francisco South Bay area that might be interested in participating in a proof-of-concept trial.

I would like to install the mod in your car, with the Porsche OEM muffler control switch (which I will give you the P/N for you to order for your car), and the associated wiring and verify the design. In return you can be the first one on your block to have the mod.

The goal of the POC is that the car's default will be loud, and will no longer automatically decide when to go into quiet mode. Only the driver can initiate the quiet mode.

When we have verified that the design is correct, I will publish the mod for all to use. I know that my wiring for the quiet loud portion is correct, what I need still to do is to optimize the cabin lighting wiring, and find the correct placement for the switch. I am looking primarily for cars with the Chrono Package.

Let me know if you are interested.
The 997 already has a switch for the sports exhaust option. Other than making loud the default instead of requiring you to push the PSE button (or sport button if you have the Sports Chrono), what value does this mod add (besides voiding your electrical warranty on the affected parts)?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
DavidX
AutoX

Not in California - But -
If you are willing to to mail your instructions in their "Beta" condition.
- I will install it.
- Powering the vacuum module to be on/off with a separate wire & switch is fairly easy - So I'm hoping you have a more elegant solution.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:58 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DavidX
Not in California - But -
If you are willing to to mail your instructions in their "Beta" condition.
- I will install it.
- Powering the vacuum module to be on/off with a separate wire & switch is fairly easy - So I'm hoping you have a more elegant solution.
So PSE works differently in CA than in Washington state where I live?

Is there some noise ordinance or something?

I won't have my 997 until next March.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronmart
The 997 already has a switch for the sports exhaust option. Other than making loud the default instead of requiring you to push the PSE button (or sport button if you have the Sports Chrono), what value does this mod add (besides voiding your electrical warranty on the affected parts)?

Thanks!
I think he's referring to the automatic speed cut out of the PSE even when it's switched on. It's something must PSE owners would rather not have.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Persuader
I think he's referring to the automatic speed cut out of the PSE even when it's switched on. It's something must PSE owners would rather not have.
I'm not familiar with that - what is the story?

I knew the 996 version wouldn't go into "sports exhaust" mode until after you were going 35 mph, but that was because it wasn't switched. I thought for the 997 if the switch was on, you were getting louder exhaust notes no matter which speed you were going.

If that isn't true, then i'm going to be one disappointed camper!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me see if I can answer your question. Please let me know if my assumptions are incorrect.

The 997 PSE is in the loud mode by default on cars with the Sports Chrono package. The car only goes into the quiet mode at speeds between approximately 30-45 mph. There is also not a way to put the car in quiet mode manually.

Is this a correct assumption, or can the exhaust be put in quiet mode manually? In looking at the 2005 997 owners manual I do not see any indication that the "sport" mode button affects the PSE.

This is part of performing this proof of concept is to make validate these assumptions.

The purpose of the mod that I an working on is to:
1. Add a user controlled quiet mode.
2. Disable the speed dependent quiet mode

If goal #1 is already part of the 997 PSE, then I simply need to develop a wiring plan that bypasses the DME, and powers the PSE vacuum switch via the existing dash switches. This would be great as it is much simpler.

This mod does not have any warranty implications.

Those of you that do have a factory PSE and Sports Chrono package installed in you 997, can you please describe the characteristics of how your PSE interacts with the sport button?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Let me see if I can answer your question. Please let me know if my assumptions are incorrect.

The 997 PSE is in the loud mode by default on cars with the Sports Chrono package. The car only goes into the quiet mode at speeds between approximately 30-45 mph. There is also not a way to put the car in quiet mode manually.

Is this a correct assumption, or can the exhaust be put in quiet mode manually? In looking at the 2005 997 owners manual I do not see any indication that the "sport" mode button affects the PSE.

This is part of performing this proof of concept is to make validate these assumptions.

The purpose of the mod that I an working on is to:
1. Add a user controlled quiet mode.
2. Disable the speed dependent quiet mode

If goal #1 is already part of the 997 PSE, then I simply need to develop a wiring plan that bypasses the DME, and powers the PSE vacuum switch via the existing dash switches. This would be great as it is much simpler.

This mod does not have any warranty implications.

Those of you that do have a factory PSE and Sports Chrono package installed in you 997, can you please describe the characteristics of how your PSE interacts with the sport button?

Thanks
In cars with Sports Chrono the PSE is in Quiet Mode by Default unless you press the Sport Button. It is then on apart from the 30-45 Approx mph automatic quiet mode. The Sport mode button DOES operate the PSE as a Chrono equipped 911 does not have the seperate PSE button that a non-chrono 911 does. There is a way to have the car in quiet mode permanently and that is to have the sport button off.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Personally, I would like to be able to defeat the speed cutout in a non-SC car with PSE.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Persuader
Instructor

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Personally, I would like to be able to defeat the speed cutout in a non-SC car with PSE.
definitely and with chrono cars also - there must be a way.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Persuader
Instructor

Interesting post on another forum re dealer installing a seperate switch that operates speed cut out.
Sounds a bit messy though having another switch.

http://6speedonline.com/forums/showt...threadid=36322

Quick Reply: Wanted: Bay area 997 PSE owner to be Lab Rat