Sponsored by:

996 gt3 test drive vs my 997s

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:37 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 gt3 test drive vs my 997s

just some observations from my test drive in a used gt3 with 15k. better steering feel and very stiff clutch. gearshift more notchy than my 997s although i do have the short shifter so i'm not sure what difference that make over the stock 997 stick. i've done some mild mods on my car (headers, sport mufflers and intake) and to my surprise, the gt3 seemed slower?? i expected the raw feel to the gt3 which to me is a dressed up race ready car for the street. but i was shocked that when i was on the highway my friend driving my 997s behind me was closing on me from a burst from 100km/h to 230km/h. is that normal? i'd expect the gt3 to outperform my 997s at the track but i'd also thought it would be faster in a straight line sprint. anyway, just me 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:39 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, interesting. What kind of power gains did you feel in your 997S with the mods you have made?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:45 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

around 25-35hp, may not seem like alot but the car feels significantly quicker than stock, in particular mid-range throttle response(not sure if thats at the wheels or not).
Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

The 997S is a very fast car bone stock. If you picked up 35 HP you may have actually more RWHP than the GT3.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:51 PM
GT3BB
Racer

Your modified 997 must have picked up some serious HP gains to run down a GT3, after having both cars, the GT3(imo) is faster, not a lot faster, but faster nevertheless.

That extra 1000 rpm at the end is tough to match. The 997S is a bit more torquey, particularily in mid range, and from that standpoint it feels and indeed could be a bit faster.

The gt3, however, seems to have an advantage at the shift points, shifting at redline there is a slight lag in the next gear for the 997 whereas the gt3 remains in the meat of its power curve.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Power on the street is not the same as power on the track. As GT3BB has pointed out, the GT3 remains in "the meat of its power" through the gears at each shift point. That is crucial if you are on the track. If you track alot then the GT3 is the car of choice for power and handling, but if you want a street car with gobs of torque and very fast straight line accel then the 997S is the car.

Right now I am in that exact dilema. Moving next spring and adding another P-Car to the stable. Not sure what kind of track opportunities I will have at my next destination but if there are not many, then the 997S with some minor mods will be just fine. But, if there are many track day opportunities then I will no doubt pick up a GT3 without hesitation. Just comes down to what you are goig to do with it.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:01 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want a track only car, why f around with anything less than a cup car? If you just want a toy, don't really need a DD, some playing at the track then a GT3 is the car to buy as a bridge to a cup car. If you plan DD, and some track then the only logical choice is a 997S/C4S. The damn thing runs the 'ring damn near as fast as a GT3 and is waaaay easier to live with as a DD. JMO
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

997S with X51 option, it gets no better!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Remember all the 997S lap times are without the x51, I wonder if they don't want to post any 'ring times with the x51, as it probably upstages the GT3.
If you drive on the street at all, or need a backseat ever, I don't see how you could pick a GT3 over a 997S +/- the x51. The fact is, it is just as fast and a lot easier to live with.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:32 PM
GT3BB
Racer

It could go both ways also. It might match the GT3 or it might not show $17,000 worth of difference from the C2S. Besides, I'm not sure Porsche really could or should care whether the X-51 is faster than the 996 GT3 series, those models have all been sold and resold and Porsche is more concerned with the 997 GT3 as the new performance standard.

The track people will opt for the GT3 anyway, even if the performance is comparable as the GT3 is more durable and a whole lot cheaper at this stage. Low miles GT3's can be had for the Base price of a 997s without the x51.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:05 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NITEALB
around 25-35hp, may not seem like alot but the car feels significantly quicker than stock, in particular mid-range throttle response(not sure if thats at the wheels or not).
How did you measure this? Butt dyno? Or just adding up the manufacturer's claimed gains?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

C'mon guys, I know you're happy with your new 997s X51 or modded out 997s, and I can't wait to see JF's, but the 3 is a lighter car, much better suspension, gearbox, and engine which dyno's at 365 rwhp. TPC, Jessup, Md numbers. They believe as I do, that the horsepower on a 3 is underrated. TPC estimates 400 hp to the flywheel.

The GT-3 has ultra-lightweight titanium connecting rods and weight optmized pistons that help minimize the oscillating masses in the engine, enabling a more dynamic and immediate response. Red line is 8,200rpm.

The torque curve is different, max @5,000 rpm and between 4,200-5,000 the graph goes straight up. In addition, it has a dedicated oil-cooler system and dry-sump lubrication with an engine mounted tank. It is a RACING engine constructed from a different block. (Plagiarized from MJones, but true.)

The TPC raceteam says that there really isn't any difference between the car he races in the Rolex series and a stock GT3. Quote from Mike Levitas Rolex driver, "You can run lap after lap after lap in a GT3 and nothing is going to break."

It's nice to be proud of your car, we all are, but let's keep it honest. Of course, I'm probably a little bias. But the numbers don't add up. Heavier, less horses, lower rpm's, can't equal faster car. Am I missing something? Here are some numbers when MT tested it against a Stradale, draw your own conclusion.........

http://motortrend.com/features/perfo...e/index11.html

Last edited by 9Eleven; 10-31-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:13 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

thats why i'm confused, hence the post. the 997s was closing, albeit slowly, but it was catching up, thats for sure. so i guess ur right, the numbers don't add up but then again, maybe i should've been shifting at a different rpm, i was shifting 200 revs short of red line. in my 997s i shift at 6600 - 6800 rpm (i'm told that peak hp is developed at 6600 and trails off after 6800rpms) because i know the car better. maybe with more time in the gt3 i'd find it to be quicker, who knows. like i said, the gt3 would be quicker around the track, u could feel that it had a sharper setup. as far as the numbers go, my 997s has been clocked thru the quarter mile in 12.15 sec with a 122mph trap speed. i guess it comes down to how well u know ur car.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:40 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NITEALB
thats why i'm confused, hence the post. the 997s was closing, albeit slowly, but it was catching up, thats for sure. so i guess ur right, the numbers don't add up but then again, maybe i should've been shifting at a different rpm, i was shifting 200 revs short of red line. in my 997s i shift at 6600 - 6800 rpm (i'm told that peak hp is developed at 6600 and trails off after 6800rpms) because i know the car better. maybe with more time in the gt3 i'd find it to be quicker, who knows. like i said, the gt3 would be quicker around the track, u could feel that it had a sharper setup. as far as the numbers go, my 997s has been clocked thru the quarter mile in 12.15 sec with a 122mph trap speed. i guess it comes down to how well u know ur car.
There is no way I'm going to believe you're trapping at 122 MPH with anything less than a supercharger or a 150 shot on your car.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
C'mon guys, I know you're happy with your new 997s X51 or modded out 997s, and I can't wait to see JF's, but the 3 is a lighter car, much better suspension, gearbox, and engine which dyno's at 365 rwhp. TPC, Jessup, Md numbers. They believe as I do, that the horsepower on a 3 is underrated. TPC estimates 400 hp to the flywheel.

The GT-3 has ultra-lightweight titanium connecting rods and weight optmized pistons that help minimize the oscillating masses in the engine, enabling a more dynamic and immediate response. Red line is 8,200rpm.

The torque curve is different, max @5,000 rpm and between 4,200-5,000 the graph goes straight up. In addition, it has a dedicated oil-cooler system and dry-sump lubrication with an engine mounted tank. It is a RACING engine constructed from a different block. (Plagiarized from MJones, but true.)

The TPC raceteam says that there really isn't any difference between the car he races in the Rolex series and a stock GT3. Quote from Mike Levitas Rolex driver, "You can run lap after lap after lap in a GT3 and nothing is going to break."

It's nice to be proud of your car, we all are, but let's keep it honest. Of course, I'm probably a little bias. But the numbers don't add up. Heavier, less horses, lower rpm's, can't equal faster car. Am I missing something? Here are some numbers when MT tested it against a Stradale, draw your own conclusion.........

http://motortrend.com/features/perfo...e/index11.html
The numbers may not add up but the 'Ring times sure do. The GT3 is a great car, but what is it's niche really? It's not really a street car, more like a race car in disguise, but it's not a race car either, at least out of the box. I'd love to have one, just not practical, as I'd want to drive it every day. I don't do anything half assed , if and when I decide to go racing again, I'll just buy the best used cup ride I can get my hands on. Can't see laying out 100k+ just for DE's???
I mean they're fun and all but it's just a DE.

Quick Reply: 996 gt3 test drive vs my 997s