Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So are most 997 owners pretentious and unknowlegable about the marque?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the funniest things I've ever read about P-people was a description of stereotypes by "sjd." I tried to find out who sjd was, but never did; reprinted his article in our newsletter anyway. Some types: 356 - Maintaining the Tradition: 911 - Defenders of the Faith; 912 - Wanna-Bees; 914 - The Redheaded Stepchild; 928 - The Money Pit; 924-944 - Sports Cars on a Budget; 930 - I have a Turbo - It Sucks to Be You; 986 - It's the Trendy Thing to Do; 996 - I Shoulda Kept My SC. One on the new Cayman owners should be next.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 10-31-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Todd, I would pay good money to see you with some serious bling and gold chains on!
Sadly, for good money there is little I probably wouldn't do YO!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh the bargaining chips I could pass along to your kids if I could get some pics of that! BTW, be back in DC 2nd week of Dec, we should meet up for a drink

As soon as I get the ITIN done I'll let you know the specifics.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:08 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Porsche owners don't know crap about their cars... Having money doesn't buy people intelligence!
Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Most Porsche owners don't know crap about their cars... Having money doesn't buy people intelligence!
I'd say that's probably a valid statement about any automobile marque. The majority of automobile owners are not avid fans. The cars priced at the lower spectrum are usually bought simply for transportation purposes (and many of us on this board have inexpensive "get around" cars). The cars at the upper spectrum are bought for their reputation, performance, and overall appeal. If you like it, can afford, why not buy it? History/knowledge is never a prerequisite for ownership.

I'd say a large percentage of Porsche owners I have met are quite knowledgable about Porsche. But I don't think that's a representation of all Porsche owners - it's because the ones I have met are through enthusiast networks, such as PCA and Rennlist.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fluid15
I'd say that's probably a valid statement about any automobile marque. <snip>
I'd say you're spot on with your whole post. I guess I just hope that Porsche owners would be more knowledgeable than the every day person, but they don't seem to be. There's just a concentration of people that knew their stuff on car boards and at meets and DE events, just as you said.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:01 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fluid15
I'd say that's probably a valid statement about any automobile marque. The majority of automobile owners are not avid fans. The cars priced at the lower spectrum are usually bought simply for transportation purposes (and many of us on this board have inexpensive "get around" cars). The cars at the upper spectrum are bought for their reputation, performance, and overall appeal. If you like it, can afford, why not buy it? History/knowledge is never a prerequisite for ownership.

I'd say a large percentage of Porsche owners I have met are quite knowledgable about Porsche. But I don't think that's a representation of all Porsche owners - it's because the ones I have met are through enthusiast networks, such as PCA and Rennlist.

2nd.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:14 PM
boolala
Race Car

... Having money doesn't buy people intelligence!

True. But just having knowledge about a particular car does not make one intelligent either. So I don't get the point.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say typical Porsche owners are very intelligent, very educated and smart people. However, buying the car doesn't make you knowledgeable about it.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know that all Porsche guys are inept. I find that - in my geographic region, at least - other Porsche guys are friendly, knowledgable, and eager to learn about others' cars. A few weeks ago I unlocked and got into a 996 turbo in a Barnes & Noble parking lot. As I'm starting the car, I hear a honk to my left. A guy in his 60s in a red 356 (or something old, I admit I don't know the older model names) convertible waves at me. I smiled, waved back, and complimented him on his car. He said, "Well, yours has a lot more technology!"

On the way out of the same parking lot, a guy in a dualie pickup truck started waving manically at me. "Hey, what kind of car is that! I've never seen anything like that before! Wow!" I was pretty taken aback, 996s aren't exactly rare, but I thanked him and explained it was a three-year-old Porsche.

This is the kind of enthusiasm that I've found. I'm happy to be among Porsche owners.

Quick Reply: So are most 997 owners pretentious and unknowlegable about the marque?