Sponsored by:

The New Club Coupe Is Here At Last!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ 996
I know it's early, but how would you compare it to your TT in terms of power & handling?
I guess you didn't make it to TWS this weekend either, I had to cancel, of course it's probably the most beautiful weekend of the whole year
A couple of early observations--and bear in mind that I've only driven 80 miles and kept it within the 4200 max RPM break in recommendation. The X51 launches fast and comes off the line quicker than the Turbo, unless you power brake the Turbo to spool up the turbos which I never did on mine. The Turbo will make up ground once it hits 2000 rpms when you get past the turbo lag--but I like the instant power of being normally aspirated.

Second, I believe the reports out of Germany that the X51's are dyno-ing at 390 horsepower or better. Even in a higher gear at relatively low RPM's the car has pulling power.

Third, you definitely notice the power down low--there's no lull from idle up to 4200 RPM's. The Turbo had a dead spot in the power band. This is definitely not like X51 in the 996 that had all the power up high with basically the same torque curve. And from my test drive of a 997 S in August, the power and torque is noticeably better. Do not drive an X51 unless you're prepared to ante up the money to take it. You may never be satisfied with the standard 997 S again.

Fourth, the turbos muffle the motor sounds. The X51 makes wonderful sounds--burbles at idle, growls under acceleration and has a definite intake whirl that sounds almost like a supercharger in the mid range. Love it.

The handling--too soon to tell other than I'm not sure I like the variable steering. I can tell it takes more steering input in the 997S than the Turbo. Corners I routinely negotiate in the Turbo with my hands never leaving the 3 and 9 position on the wheel, require some hand shuffling in the 997 S. But I'm still acclimating to the new feel of everything--seating position; controls; how the Tip behaves; steering wheel (the thicker sports steering wheel is awesome--feels suede like but doesn't look fuzzy)

Braking is better in the 997 S--same brakes as the Turbo with less weight.

So far I'm liking it, a lot. On the street, the power's close enough to the Turbo and at the same time more involving since you don't have turbo lag and there's lots more engine music to enjoy. If I never track it, I'll never miss the Turbo--the X51 is that good. And I haven't yet got to the good part, as there's still all that untapped territory above 4200 RPM that I've not explored.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paul,

Congrats on your new car! I really like the sound of the X51 PSE compared to the non-X51 PSE. I disconnected my PSE wire so the bypass is always open. Try it out... the connector is on the far left, just left of the intake manifold.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
So basically if you agree to buy the 997S in that special color you get a small price break (which in my opinion should be given on any car where they already spec'd the options out and you didn't choose them) and a numbered badge. Great car, but they (PAG/PCNA/PCA) could have done a better job through collaboration (ie, unique bodykit, options ONLY avail in the CC, widebody maybe, etc.).

Great job honoring PCA and the faithful following, but miserable job making it totally unique. I realize that the 40th had over 1900 units but they had a numbered badge as well and we have all seen what happened to the price of those cars. If you are going to make it a collectable then 2 things have to happen: 1)low production numbers and 2)unique and independent of other cars in the marque lineup.

They accomplished #1 but not #2. Only time will tell.

Still, a great car with a great amount of options and gobs of power!
One thing--small price break? If you consider the California Azurro Blue a paint to sample color (which is how Porsche lists it on the window sticker) it's about $10K less than a comparably equipped 997 S. Given X51's limited production capacity, good luck getting much of a price break any time soon on a comparably equipped 997 S.

I view the Club Coupe, thusly. It is a commemorative car and Porsche gave 48 buyers a decent price break, at a time when they didn't have to discount X51; an exclusinve color for this year at least (which is stunning in person) that you don't have to pay Porsche sticker prices to get, which makes the car unique in that respect; and the opportunity to be among the first to get the X51 power kit. As far as a collectors item, as you said time will tell but I'm not counting on it. I am counting on enjoying the car. I gotta tell you, I was a very willing buyer on the Club Coupe--the package deal and a stunning color was enough for me.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by Ray G
Paul,

Congrats on your new car! I really like the sound of the X51 PSE compared to the non-X51 PSE. I disconnected my PSE wire so the bypass is always open. Try it out... the connector is on the far left, just left of the intake manifold.
Odd thing--we haven't yet found the connector or vaccuum hose. It's not where you see it on the non-X51 997's. My dealer's master tech is going to put the car on the lift and see if he can trace it from the bottom up, when I bring it in Friday morning. You definitely cannot see it top side from the engine compartment. Maybe it's my Tip that makes the difference too. I dunno but will find out soon as I do want the bypass open.

Edit: I take back what I just wrote. I think I do see the connector now on the left as you said. But I'll let the dealer's "wrench" do it as I've got fat fingered "disease"

Last edited by Paul S.; 11-01-2005 at 02:46 AM.

Quick Reply: The New Club Coupe Is Here At Last!!!