Sponsored by:

New 997 with X51 Power Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:22 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The major difference between the X-51 and the GT-3 engines are the engine internals.

GT-3 has ultra-lightweight titananum connecting rods and weight optmized pistons that help minimize the oscillating masses in the engine, enabling a more dynamic and immediate response. Red line is 8,200rpm.
Torque curve is different.. max @5,000 rpm. and between 4,200-5,000 the graph goes straight up, erom 247 ft lb to 285.
In addition it has a dedicated oil-cooler system and dry-sump lubrication with engine mounted tank.
It is a RACING engine constructed from a different block.

The 3.8 X-51 is good .....but NOT a racing engine....
Old 10-31-2005, 10:36 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
The major difference between the X-51 and the GT-3 engines are the engine internals.

GT-3 has ultra-lightweight titananum connecting rods and weight optmized pistons that help minimize the oscillating masses in the engine, enabling a more dynamic and immediate response. Red line is 8,200rpm.
Torque curve is different.. max @5,000 rpm. and between 4,200-5,000 the graph goes straight up, erom 247 ft lb to 285.
In addition it has a dedicated oil-cooler system and dry-sump lubrication with engine mounted tank.

Funny, I was thinking about that very thing in the shower last night. All that X51 stuff bolted to the same old RMS prone engine. I reckon those Gt3/turbo engines must be darned expensive for Porsche to build for them not to want to build them for the masses.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:06 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Funny, I was thinking about that very thing in the shower last night...
That's waaaay too much information... Obviously an image I certainly could have done without, first thing in the morning here! ...
Old 10-31-2005, 01:29 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Guys,

I took my X51 to the rev limiter yesterday (deserted FL highway)in third and foruth.

The rev limiter kicks in at precisely 7,400 RPM.

Cheers.
Thanks AeroSmith,

Mind telling us what speeds you hit at redline btw?

This is slightly annoying to me because the new 911 manual includes some more information on the power kit. Turns out 381 hp happens at 7200 rpm!
I can scan in it if people want to see it.

Wont it be hard to use the 381 because you will be shifting at that point? Only 200 rpm till fuel cut isnt that much to play with.

What does everyone else think?

Greg
Old 10-31-2005, 01:35 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Amazing car... Love the color. Enjoy
Old 10-31-2005, 03:05 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Thanks AeroSmith,

Mind telling us what speeds you hit at redline btw?

This is slightly annoying to me because the new 911 manual includes some more information on the power kit. Turns out 381 hp happens at 7200 rpm!
I can scan in it if people want to see it.

Wont it be hard to use the 381 because you will be shifting at that point? Only 200 rpm till fuel cut isnt that much to play with.

What does everyone else think?

Greg
A little over 100 in third and a bit over 125 in fourth. I wasn't paying very close attention to the speedo though.

I think the key for acceleration is max torque, not max HP. So shifting at red line is not that important. In fact I prefer to shift earlier to get back down into the meatier portion of the torque curve. Now that we know it's 7,400 I gauarantee I never see that RPM again in this car.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Hi Ray,

I am willing to bet the that x51 fuel cut doesnt happen at 7200 since the power graph indicates 381 happens around 7200. The online graph shows power through to about 7500 to 8000 and graph line is longer than the stock 997s motor graph line. [This is the sport coupe special page graph on the porsche site that I am talking about]

It wouldnt make ANY sense to not be able to go to at LEAST 7500 or 8000.
I think porsche cheaped out and didnt paint a new rpm tach. [For 17k, you think that they would do it.]

I know your still breaking the car in, but I would love to find out when fuel cut happens in 2nd and 3rd gears.
[I have never reached fuel cut in 4th and up on the track]

Greg
You got to be kidding me right? Porsche wouldn't spend the extra money on painting a new tach? I thought I heard it all until now. Go ahead and push it to 8000, see what happens. Call me, I'll give you a ride back home from the Porsche Dealership.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones

The GT3 motor is a little more peaky. The X51 does have extra cooling. Also, the 997 gen motor does have a lot of internal lightening of components, and it does rev faster than the 996 version.

While the GT3 motor is definitely race-derived, it is an older design and its advantages are diminishing as progress is made on the newer engines.

But, the GT3 is currently the best hardware for the track. I feel the GT3 motor is more robust and will hold up to stress better.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 AM
frayed
Race Car

All I can say is "Wow". Absolutely stunning.

Ray, I have a GT3 and am presently on the hairy edge of trading it for a 997S. Frankly, I don't get to the track enough to justify the track/street tradeoff I currently am experiencing with the GT3. Maybe I'm getting there every other month, business meetings and family constantly torpeadoing my best efforts.

Anyway, do you have any thoughts on the switch to an S? I have about 2.5 hours of test driving in both steel and PCCB equiped S's, and am smitten by their composure and seemingly higher levels of grip midcorner. OTOH, they aren't as visceral, and don't have the pull up top. I found that the nervousness/responsiveness of the GT3 is OK when you are on your A-game, but sometimes you just want to drive enthusiastically w/o all the drama associated with the GT3.

I remain torn, but for my needs I think I'm going to jump.

---------------------------

On another note, your pics just cost me another coupla grand with all that leather finishing. Dayumn! Wife's gonna be pissed.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
All I can say is "Wow". Absolutely stunning.

Ray, I have a GT3 and am presently on the hairy edge of trading it for a 997S. Frankly, I don't get to the track enough to justify the track/street tradeoff I currently am experiencing with the GT3. Maybe I'm getting there every other month, business meetings and family constantly torpeadoing my best efforts.

Anyway, do you have any thoughts on the switch to an S? I have about 2.5 hours of test driving in both steel and PCCB equiped S's, and am smitten by their composure and seemingly higher levels of grip midcorner. OTOH, they aren't as visceral, and don't have the pull up top. I found that the nervousness/responsiveness of the GT3 is OK when you are on your A-game, but sometimes you just want to drive enthusiastically w/o all the drama associated with the GT3

I remain torn, but for my needs I think I'm going to jump.
Jeff, I remember you were trying to decide this a couple of months ago. I hear what you are saying about the GT3, and not getting to the track enough. I don't take my GT3 to the track much either, but I still like driving it. I'm planning to keep it because I still like the rawness of it. It has the race-car genes. OTOH, I am really impressed with the 997SX51. I don't think it would be a great track car, but it is a great road car. It's much easier to drive fast than the GT3 on regular roads. After a while, I may just give up my GT3, depending on how much I use it.

I guess if you really want a 997 GT3 in your soul, I would wait until the new GT3 comes out. If you are kind of tired of the rawness, then I would move to a 997S. (And buy your wife some new furniture so you can get the X51!)

On another note, your pics just cost me another coupla grand with all that leather finishing. Dayumn! Wife's gonna be pissed.
Sorry about that! I think the best option is the "XPA - Thicker 3-spoke sport steering wheel in smooth leather $1050". I love the way the wheel feels in my hands. The other items I think can be retrofitted after delivery if you want them.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:30 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff, are you gonna go to a 997S?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 AM
donkeyman
Banned

Ray,

Beautiful car - congratulations. Thanks for your driving impressions too.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Jeff, are you gonna go to a 997S?
Dunno yet, but at this point more likely than not. Problem is, what I want is quite expensive: PCCB, X51, full leather, crono, adaptive sport seats, thick wheel, some other bits and pieces. I'm trying to come to terms with a 110kish 997, when not much more will likely net me a 997 GT3 (which may have a hyper version of PASM rendering it more streetable) or a turbo or or or. Ahhh!

I really do like the 997 chassis though. All those seemingly minor improvements really add up to a spectacular car.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
Dunno yet, but at this point more likely than not. Problem is, what I want is quite expensive: PCCB, X51, full leather, crono, adaptive sport seats, thick wheel, some other bits and pieces. I'm trying to come to terms with a 110kish 997, when not much more will likely net me a 997 GT3 (which may have a hyper version of PASM rendering it more streetable) or a turbo or or or. Ahhh!

I really do like the 997 chassis though. All those seemingly minor improvements really add up to a spectacular car.
I think I know just what you are going thru. I was thinking the same thing. I am fortunate enough (or dumb enough) to be able to get a 997 now and flip it in a year or so when the new GT3/Turbo/whatever comes along.

If you go as far as a new 997S with X51 & PCCB, you may like it enough to keep it for 2 or more years, until the new GT3/Turbo things are debugged. I'm starting to feel like I might keep my new 997 for a while; it's really good.

Quick Reply: New 997 with X51 Power Kit