Sponsored by:

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:35 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm homing in on my order and need a bit more help from my expert friends at Rennlist.

If you switch to winter tires...do you switch the tires on your rims, or do you have another set of rims too ? Is there a major disadvantage in just switching the tires over ? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:46 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Depends who you ask.

Some will advise that you should have a dedicated set of winter wheels (i.e., tires and rims) for a few reasons

1. Your winter wheels will take a lot of abuse and so it's nice to have a pristine set of summer wheels,
2. You can mount/dismount the wheels in your garage, and you won't have to have the tires switched at a shop, and
3. It is not advisable to mount/dismount/remount the same tires on the same rim over and over again. It is possible to damage the tire bead.

On the other hand, proponents of using the same set of rims will argue that:

1. Having an extra set of wheels is expensive,
2. Many/most mechanics say that mounting and remounting tires on the same rim will not cause damage if done properly, and
3. Storage of another set of wheels is not a concern when you only have one set.

Come winter I will probably mount winter tires on my same rims since my independent mechanic and dealership service advisor said it wasn't a bid deal. In any event, I will only get one more season out my summer tires, so they'll only get remounted once more.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Depends who you ask.

Some will advise that you should have a dedicated set of winter wheels (i.e., tires and rims) for a few reasons

1. Your winter wheels will take a lot of abuse and so it's nice to have a pristine set of summer wheels,
2. You can mount/dismount the wheels in your garage, and you won't have to have the tires switched at a shop, and
3. It is not advisable to mount/dismount/remount the same tires on the same rim over and over again. It is possible to damage the tire bead.

On the other hand, proponents of using the same set of rims will argue that:

1. Having an extra set of wheels is expensive,
2. Many/most mechanics say that mounting and remounting tires on the same rim will not cause damage if done properly, and
3. Storage of another set of wheels is not a concern when you only have one set.

Come winter I will probably mount winter tires on my same rims since my independent mechanic and dealership service advisor said it wasn't a bid deal. In any event, I will only get one more season out my summer tires, so they'll only get remounted once more.

Good luck!
JasonF

Where are you buying from? Tire Rack or your local mechanic?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 AM
P-Nuts
Racer

Thanks JasonF. The cost is a big factor, particularly with 19" rims. I will be doing about 10k miles per year and reckon on about 15k per set of tires.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1957 356
JasonF

Where are you buying from? Tire Rack or your local mechanic?
My local mechanic will order directly from Tire Rack. He will charge me the Tire Rack price for the tires (i.e., no markup) and then a nominal amount ($100 or so) for mounting/balancing.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
My local mechanic will order directly from Tire Rack. He will charge me the Tire Rack price for the tires (i.e., no markup) and then a nominal amount ($100 or so) for mounting/balancing.
Jason

What tires did you go with?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:30 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Jason

What tires did you go with?
Haven't decided yet. There are some great reviews about the Dunlop series (M2 and M3), but they don't come in the appropriate rear size (265-40/18)...I may wind up with the Contis as a result.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires