Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Help - Factory Paint Defect???

Hey Guys

Need your help. I have a 2006 Artic Silver 997. I've washed it a couple of times since I picked it up, but I just noticed a problem during the last wash. I noticed on both sides of the rear paned underneath the tailights two large areas that look like patches of adhesive residue. I tried several bug/tar removal products but they didn't make even a slight difference. The areas feel rough to the touch. It's hard to see them in these low res images, but they look like areas where liquid has wicked or evaporated away. I think I'm going to have to take it into the dealership, but I thought I'd see if anyone could diagnose the problem before I made the trip. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2005, 06:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe residue from the protective film during shipment? The dealer should have got it during pre delivery detail but easy enough to miss.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Maybe residue from the protective film during shipment? The dealer should have got it during pre delivery detail but easy enough to miss.
That's what I thought too, but it just won't come off with any product I've tried (and a lot of elbow grease).
Old 10-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

3M makes an automotive adhesive remover part no 8984 that is avaliable at stores selling automotive paint. If this doesn't remove it I would not attempt any harsher solvent myself but instead make the dealer bodyshop or the local independant they have a relationship with attempt a repair.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:26 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Meguiar's cleaner wax. If that doesn't do it you'll probably need a respray as it's a paint defect.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at this situation as the lawyer that I am, I would not do anything more myself and take it straight to the dealer. The more time that passes, the likelier it is that the dealer will claim you somehow caused this.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:14 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Speed is right. Take it back immediately.

Jay
Old 10-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
Speed is right. Take it back immediately.

Jay
Thanks for the free counsel. It's going in tomorrow morning.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:57 AM
brownie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it back yesterday!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't be using any elbow grease to try to get out whatever it is you're talking about. You're likely to hide the severity of the problem if it is indeed a paint defect. You'll want the dealer to see exactly what they didn't catch.

The low res pic is really bad. Hard to see what you're talking about. Try resizing the pic using MS Paint if you're running Windows. It's an excellent tool for resizing pics believe it or not. I and others have posted the steps and I'll repeat them here for your benefit and for ours so we can see what you're talking about.

- Right click the file and select Open with Microsoft Paint
- Click on Image and select Stretch/Skew
- In the Stretch box enter equal percentage values for horiz. & vert. until you get the right size
(Tip: Start out with 25% if it's a 1 MB file, if that's not a good resize, undo (CNTL z) and try again)
- Do a Save As to preserve your original file
Old 10-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yeah, I wouldn't be using any elbow grease to try to get out whatever it is you're talking about. You're likely to hide the severity of the problem if it is indeed a paint defect. You'll want the dealer to see exactly what they didn't catch.

The low res pic is really bad. Hard to see what you're talking about. Try resizing the pic using MS Paint if you're running Windows. It's an excellent tool for resizing pics believe it or not. I and others have posted the steps and I'll repeat them here for your benefit and for ours so we can see what you're talking about.

- Right click the file and select Open with Microsoft Paint
- Click on Image and select Stretch/Skew
- In the Stretch box enter equal percentage values for horiz. & vert. until you get the right size
(Tip: Start out with 25% if it's a 1 MB file, if that's not a good resize, undo (CNTL z) and try again)
- Do a Save As to preserve your original file
how does this look?
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2005, 02:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

It's obviously much sharper in resolution, but you could have made it a little bigger. Also with MS Paint you can draw a circle around areas of interest. You might want to try this if you think the pic is showing what you're trying to point out to us. All I can see is some orange-peel which is typical factory finish.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
It's obviously much sharper in resolution, but you could have made it a little bigger. Also with MS Paint you can draw a circle around areas of interest. You might want to try this if you think the pic is showing what you're trying to point out to us. All I can see is some orange-peel which is typical factory finish.

I'll give it one more shot. Part of the problem is that it's tough to catch it in just the right light/angle to capture it. What did you mean by orange-peel and how do you get rid of it if it's typical?
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2005, 03:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Too many reflections to accurately see what is going on.

Keep your day job and don't be a photographer
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 PM
OCBen
Banned

Well, for one thing, if it’s orange-peel, you’ll probably see it throughout the rear bumper cover and not just in isolated areas. You say it looks like patches of adhesive residue. Are you saying that if you run your hand over it, it feels like a surface that had duct tape pulled off leaving tiny strands of adhesive that feels bumpy to the touch? Your bug & tar remover would have removed it if it were adhesive residue. You also say it feels rough to the touch. Does it feel like something is stuck to the paint, or is the texture of the paint itself rough? And what do you mean by rough – rough as in sandpaper rough, carpet rough? Again, if there was anything stuck on top, your efforts would have removed it or improved the rough feel.

Have you examined it under magnification? Is there anything imbedded in the surface?

Orange-peel is an acceptable factory paint defect with today’s automotive paints. I’m sure you’ve seen it on just about every new car, especially cheaper ones. On a Porsche, it’s not as bad. So if this is your first Porsche you probably would have been impressed with the finish compared to your previous cars, which makes me suspect that it’s probably not orange-peel that is causing your concern.

Orange peel does not feel rough to the touch. If you can feel it at all, it feels wavy but smooth as you run your fingers over it. It’s most noticeable in reflected images that appear wavy and distorted, as it does in your pics. Apparently whatever it is that is concerning you is not noticeable in the pic. Have your dealer look at it and don’t try anything else in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Help - Factory Paint Defect???