Sponsored by:

leather options confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:34 PM
pauhana
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking leather options confusion

Hi, I have been studying the forums for a few weeks now as I try to figure out what options to order for my 997s. I apologize for not registering sooner but I have nothing to contribute -at least until I get my car!

So, I think I have figured pretty much everything I want. However, I have not figure out what to do about the seats and leather. Going through the order guide once with the dealer didn't seem to help much. There appear to be 4-5 leather choices:
1.Standard leather -no cost. but only on seating surfaces
2. "Leather seats" -a $1520 option but I don't understand what this means.
3.Full Leather -$3365 and pretty self explanatory, but if I go this route do I still need to specify a leather seat option for another $1520?
4. Special Leather -no thank you for $4875.

-but then, there is another option for the sport seats that says, "leather Sport seats" -So if I order the sport seats but don't pay extra for them in leather then what the heck are they covered in?

-and finally what about the electric seat? This is my first Porsche and I was surprised electric seats were not standard. Since it is essentially a 2 seater, do I even need this? The dealer did not have a non-electric seat for me to check out. -How adjustable is the non-electric seat? i am relatively short -5'9" and I like to sit high for visability. Can the standard, non electric seat be raised up and down?

-Please help sort out my confusion -and much thanks in advance!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:03 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go to the Porsche web site and configure the car as you like. The Porsche configure program will tell you, for example, Leather Sport seats require full leather option, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:23 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The regular seats can manually be adjusted up and down. If you get electric seats, I don't think you can get sport seats unless you go whole hog with the adaptive sport seats which are fairly expensive. I got the manual sports seats which are great.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:26 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Get the electric seats, if only for the lumbar support.

The stock seats are very comfy with more side bolstering than in the 996. The backs are also leather. Some like this and some do not.

And full leather includes the seats.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Under each listed option in the Order Guide there are three possible sub-lists; Conflicts With, Requires, and Must Pick One. What's listed under them for a particular option you are considering should be helpful in understanding the overlaps (Conflicts With), what else you'll need to order to get that option (Requires), and which of several variations of that option you may choose (Must Pick One). If your dealer happens to submit an option order that is in error when ordering your options, it will be rejected or kicked back for correction.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:47 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Under each listed option in the Order Guide there are three possible sub-lists; Conflicts With, Requires, and Must Pick One. What's listed under them for a particular option you are considering should be helpful in understanding the overlaps (Conflicts With), what else you'll need to order to get that option (Requires), and which of several variations of that option you may choose (Must Pick One). If your dealer happens to submit an option order that is in error when ordering your options, it will be rejected or kicked back for correction.
Good point.

If you need the 2006 Carrera S order guide PM me with your email address and I can send in to you (thanks 996Toomey).
Old 10-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Std seats have leather seating surfaces but nothing more
Std seats have manual adjustment for and aft and up and down, but have a motor to adjust the backrest angle.
So you can have standard seats with no electrical operation and std. leather seating surfaces (cost = $0)

Leather seats are covered in leather, regardless of the surface.
Standard interior + Leather seats with no electrical operation (cost = $1520)
You can get the standard shape seats that have all adjustments electrically activated and they add both lumbar and driver's seat memory.
Standard interior + Leather seats + electrical operation (cost = $1520 + $1550)

Sports seats are like standard seats in operation but have heavier side bolstering
Standard interior + Leather sports seats (cost = $760)
Active sports seats have all the electrical activation of the electric seats but also add adjustable side and thigh bolstering.
Standard interior + Adaptive sports seats in leather (cost = $3055)

Full leather covers dash, doors rear 3/4 panels etc. and includes leather seats
Full leather interior (cost = $3315)
Full leather + standard sports seats (cost = $3315 + $400)
Full leather interior + electrical operation (cost = $3315 + $1550)
Full leather interior + Adaptive sports seats in leather (cost = $3315 + $2695)

The "build it yourself" section of the website is the best place to figure this stuff out!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had electric seats on most of my recent cars and also was surpirsed they were an option on the P-car. Welcome to the Land of Porsche. I'm sort of surprised the air in the tires isn't an add-on extra-cost option to be honest.

Since I'll be the only driver, I opted for the manual seats but AeroSmith makes a good point about lumbar.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:05 PM
pauhana
AutoX

Default THANK YOU!

Thanks to all of you, especially Le Chef, for the detailed responses. I think I have it now. I did try the config portion on the website, but it was not clear to me there either. I understand all the special options configs are part of the fun of a Porsche, but they could make it more user friendly. I'll let you know how it goes. I am still trying to figure out which route to go as far as cab/coupe. Does anyone know the residual value spread between the coupe and cab? Which has the higher residual?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Speed
Pro

Try going around to some local dealers and looking at the cars they have on the showroom floor. Many of the cars the dealers order (that are not custom ordered by a customer) come with a lot of the various leather options (which will be listed on the window sticker) and you may get a better sense of what each option gets you leatherwise.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Get the Full leather package with supple leather. Very comfortable. Depending on where you live get the heated seats. Definitely get the power seats with memory input. Extremely comfortable. The full leather aethetics and feel are unsurpassed. Whethere you opt for the Sports seats is up to you. Go to the dealerships and try them out.

Jay
Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 PM
pauhana
AutoX

Default There is only 1 dealer here in HNL.

Owned by Fletch Jones out of Cal. Anyway they are helpful, but they are light on cars in the showroom right now. They didn't have any sport seats for me to try out, only standard. -although one was full leather with supple. I actually liked the standard interior. Seems a bit more sturdy than the full leather. If I do a cab, this is what I would due since the sun can be hard on interiors here. If I do a coupe, I will probably go full leather.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 PM
pauhana
AutoX

Default HNL=Honolulu

For those not familar with airport codes. Sorry.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:12 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cabs do require a greater level of care (where you park, more delicate cleaning required), slightly less stiff, and more interior rattle prone. However, if you like convertibles, it's one of the best softtops designed and it looks real nice and is a breeze to operate - push of a button.

Difference in residual value is about $5k-7k or 10-15%.

Quick Reply: leather options confusion