Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dark Color & Cab top Detail Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005 | 11:45 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Default Dark Color & Cab top Detail Recommendations

I used to be a commercial vehicle detailer in the 1980's, but things were a lot different then. I've enjoyed letting others clean my cars for years, but when the new 997 arrives I'm going back to doing it myself again. I'm looking for sage advice on:

1. Taking care of dark colors (midnight blue) using modern techniques and products.
2. Product recommendations (with web site url's on where to aquire them)
3. Tips on keeping a black cabrio top looking concours clean for years
4. Recommendations on decent orbital polishers that cost < $250 (if such a beast exists)

I'm planning on avoiding driving in foul weather as much as possible (I'll keep my Benz for that), so it will be a foul weather day garage queen. However, I plan to drive it hard on sunny days (even if it is very cold) so it will get dirty on those days where I get caught in the rain on the way home.

I've also heard lots of people using stone gaurd, clear bra, etc... but I absolutely hate the line it leaves on the hood. I also don't trust it to look good 10 years later, so I'm planning on taking my rock chips and just dealing with them.
Old 10-16-2005 | 02:56 AM
djantlive
Drifting

I use Zaino products for paint polish

For soft top, I use Porsche's protectant spray and wash. I've heard Raggtop is good as well. I use a pet hair roller once in 2 weeks to pickup dust and lint on the top.

I use carcover when I park outside to avoid sun damage and dirty to the car/top. I usually leave the top up when parked to keep the canvas from wrinkles.

As for orbitor, Griot's garage sells one which is supposed to be good. It can be bought from sears I think too.
Old 10-16-2005 | 08:10 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Here are some sites:

http://www.detailcity.com/

http://www.carcareonline.com/
Old 10-16-2005 | 08:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is a thread I posted a while back on the 996 forum. The thread covers the porter cable dual action polisher and polish/pad combinations. Hope this helps!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=7336
Old 10-16-2005 | 08:23 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

I now use Rejex for the body color. Love it on the wheels as well to limit brake dust. I just purschased the Porsche cabrio top spray online to the to keep it looking great. You will be hard pressed to beat what two coats of Rejex can do for you.

Jay
Old 10-16-2005 | 11:00 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Another site for advice and product discounters is Autopia .

You can buy the porter cable "kit" at Griots Garage, or if you want to save money you can assemble the same pieces yourself for less. Harbor Freight has the tools, and you can find the pads through Autopia. If you're going to clay your car at some point (you will want to), Griots has a cool claying pad that makes it a breeze. Like their speed shine and interior cleaner too.

For leather care...I love Color Plus Soffener , available too from car care online.

BTW: I am stil in the camp of carnuba waxes, and find that after a good claying, nothing shines deeply like (the real) zymol. Be sure and use one microfiber towel to "break" the wax and a second to shine.

Have fun! I enjoy keeping my fun car in great condition...it's therapeutic!

Chris
Old 10-16-2005 | 12:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

For the best advice, ditto on Autopia.

You won't go wrong following Dave Bynon's recommendations.
Old 10-16-2005 | 05:41 PM
Cogito
Racer

Originally Posted by DJ23
I now use Rejex for the body color. Love it on the wheels as well to limit brake dust. I just purschased the Porsche cabrio top spray online to the to keep it looking great. You will be hard pressed to beat what two coats of Rejex can do for you.

Jay
DJ, Can you provide the URL to order the cabrio top srpay online?
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005 | 12:19 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Dweiser, here is the URL to purchase the spray. You can also purschase the cleaner if your top requires it at this time.

Jay
Old 10-17-2005 | 12:20 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Sorry here is the link.http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=11603

Jay
Old 10-17-2005 | 11:39 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Use Raggtopp insterad of Porsche cab spray. I've used both.

http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.html

Quick Reply: Dark Color & Cab top Detail Recommendations