Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which color should Ron choose for his 997?
Midnight Blue Metallic
24.69%
Black
17.28%
Bassalt Black
14.81%
Arctic Silver
43.21%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Color woes - help me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005 | 02:06 PM
brownie
Advanced

Default Same problem deciding

I had the same dilema. I loved the GT Silver but did want to pay the extra $3,200 for the color. Love Black but already had two. Midnight Blue is a great color but my wife had a dark blue Range Rover. Silver beautiful but I will bet that at least half the 997s sold in this area are silver. I decided on Atlas Gray which looks black in some light, dark gray in other and even midnight blue in other light. I have been pleased with it. Not quite as easy to keep clean as silver (shows dust) but not as bad as black.

Haven't figured out how to insert an image yet but will post picture when I do.
Old 10-18-2005 | 02:12 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Personally I love Atlas. I currently have a S Cab and have a 4S coupe coming in November in the same colour.
Have had a S Coupe in Artic but got bored with colour quickly.
Old 10-18-2005 | 02:15 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, Atlas is a cool color, but the wife liked Midnight Blue better when we saw it in real life so I'm going to give it a try. I love blue so I think I'll be happy with it.
Old 10-18-2005 | 02:38 PM
MMD
Banned

Silver. Blk interior. Classic. All Porsche. Ten years from now will look just as good as it did 40 years ago. Easy to maintain. Great drama depending on ambient light/time of day. Black is a maintenance problem. "Being different" by color choice is over-rated. When people see your silver Porsche they don't say to themselves, "Silver is such a common color, why didn't he get black or red?" They just see a gorgeous car.
Old 10-18-2005 | 09:23 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

I love black cars but black isn't a color, it's a hobby.
Old 10-18-2005 | 11:54 PM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Personally, I think slate gray metallic is best, but I'm partial as that's what I ordered for a december build. Can't stand the waiting part
Old 10-19-2005 | 02:17 AM
phonetics
Advanced

What about Black / Terracotta with black rims? This will probably give your car the most aggressive and coolest look...

if i gotta own a p-car, this is the only combination i will go for...

My 2nd choice is lapis blue / sand, but this really does not look right on p-car, this will match much better to a jaguar or aston martin

Silver is dull (no matter gt silver, arctic silver), u gotta know that when people looking at your car when passing by, they ll just think "another silver porsche", they wouldn't care if you spend extra 3k to GT silver..

Other types of black/dark grey (everything except pure black) just make the car look dusty by a glance.... again, no one on the street will know u spend extra to slate grey, they will just think this is just a black p-car which needs to be waxed.

White is a good color, but this is a very generic color for japanese sports car.
Old 10-20-2005 | 07:05 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I went to my local Porsche store today to pick up some clear side markers and valve stem caps. In the showroom they had perhaps the prettiest Porsche I have ever seen. Cobalt Blue with the sand or tan interior. I bought my Artic silver about 6 weeks ago and I like it, but the Cobalt blue was stunning.
Old 10-20-2005 | 07:24 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, if Cobalt Blue wasn't a $3000+ option I'd go for it. Ever since I saw the attached picture I've lusted after it, but I'm tapped out on options at this point so I have to stick with a cheaper paint.

GT Silver is pretty sweet too if you like silver.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:43 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronmart
Yeah, if Cobalt Blue wasn't a $3000+ option I'd go for it. Ever since I saw the attached picture I've lusted after it, but I'm tapped out on options at this point so I have to stick with a cheaper paint.

GT Silver is pretty sweet too if you like silver.
Based on that picture in the bottom, they should call it Electric Blue
Old 10-21-2005 | 12:20 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

my 997S is black/black and it's truly a beautiful combo...the additional work to keep it looking good is just a necessary evil. i'm awaiting delivery on a 2006 750il which happens to be black/black and that will go right next to the black/black dodge ram V-10...ok, so i'm biased. i have a 740i bmw which is midnight blue and i often feel i would have better just getting the black given both are very dark and require extra attention. if you're thinking blue then i'd dive in headfirst and go for something bold like the cobalt. my daily driver is a silver vette convertible and quite honestly you can get away with more dust, rainspots before feeling compelled to reach for the hose (there again, it's not a porsche). forget about what everybody has said for a minute; your all alone and no one is keeping score...now, ask yourself what do i really, really want to get (forgetting about what others might think, the car is already ridiculously cool). also ask yourself, will i still like cobalt in 5 to 7 years? i also have a silver h2 and i wish i had the guts to go for a fun color now...i've even thought about tossing out 3-4k for a repaint. good luck!
Old 10-21-2005 | 12:34 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tarpon1
my 997S is black/black and it's truly a beautiful combo...the additional work to keep it looking good is just a necessary evil. i'm awaiting delivery on a 2006 750il which happens to be black/black and that will go right next to the black/black dodge ram V-10...ok, so i'm biased. i have a 740i bmw which is midnight blue and i often feel i would have better just getting the black given both are very dark and require extra attention. if you're thinking blue then i'd dive in headfirst and go for something bold like the cobalt. my daily driver is a silver vette convertible and quite honestly you can get away with more dust, rainspots before feeling compelled to reach for the hose (there again, it's not a porsche). forget about what everybody has said for a minute; your all alone and no one is keeping score...now, ask yourself what do i really, really want to get (forgetting about what others might think, the car is already ridiculously cool). also ask yourself, will i still like cobalt in 5 to 7 years? i also have a silver h2 and i wish i had the guts to go for a fun color now...i've even thought about tossing out 3-4k for a repaint. good luck!
I did and ultimately decided that the Midnight Blue is what I want. I had forgotten how much I liked it so I started to doubt myself, but in what could only be described as a divine coincidence, I went to the dealership and they had 3 997 S Cabriolets on the floor. One in Arctic Silver parked next to one in Black and in front of both was a Midnight Blue with many of the options I wanted. I got to see all three detailed and next to each other and even though the black is beautiful, if somebody said I could have whichever one I wanted I would have driven off with the midnight blue one.

Yeah, I agree that cobalt blue is great now but I probably would get tired of it (which is why I didn't get speed yellow or silver) in 3 or 4 years. I know I'd be happy with black too, but midnight blue rocks so I'm jazzed about it and am looking forward to it (especially after spending the last 8 years driving black Mercedes).
Old 10-21-2005 | 09:45 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

GT Silver per your preference. If you keep the car for 10 plus years, it is well worth it... do the math. I would never compromise such a decision... espeically if you don't have to, that is you don't have to compromise... you are buying a new car vs a used one.

Goodluck and I wish I had your problem, Rob

Quick Reply: Color woes - help me!