Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
GT Silver Metallic
55.56%
Cobalt Blue
44.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

GT Silver vs. Cobalt Blue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default GT Silver vs. Cobalt Blue

I've narrowed down my favorite 997 colors to GT Silver Metallic and Cobalt Blue. Which would you pick and why?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Royalcarrera
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver/ blue

Hi, I have two Silver Porsche, buy what you like, all Porsche are beautiful!
Sincerely, Royal
Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Silver is everywhere now! Accords, Toyota's, Nissans, etc.

The Cobalt Blue is different, rich blue with a silver base. Its' da bomb in my humble opinion. Only better color would be "Azurro California"
Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 AM
skhoward24
5th Gear

I have a cobalt blue cab that should be at the dealer within two weeks. I love that color! Can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Silver is the "Porsche color." Very traditional and it looks great. Then again, at virtually every Porsche event the cars are 85% Silver/Black/Red. An occasional white or grey or a very dark blue.

Colors like Cobalt Blue, Zyclam Pearl Effect, Pure Orange, Amazon Green, etc... are all unique. You don't see them, but they all look stunning. Its nice having something different. The new Azzurro California is awesome. It's like a conversation piece. Instead of, "Oh another red Porsche" or "yup, silver porsche", you get "WOW what color is that! Ive never seen it before! That looks amazing on that car!"
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I take it back, the Silver does look great on the 997's (after looking at another 997 in the other thread ...
Old 10-12-2005, 08:51 AM
tocho
Track Day

Cobalt Blue....notice how Porsche is using it more and more in their website and advertising??
Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

I think Porsche needs to stop by a Lamborghini dealership and browse their "standard colors" and then compare those with their own.

Porsche USED to offer lots of great colors. Now its only paint to sample that gives you anything unique. Other than that, their standard offerings are quite dark and boring generally.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:20 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Well, these were the two colors on my list and I went with the Cobalt. I like them both a lot.

But my feeling is that color choice is a very personal thing. It doesn't so much matter what others think but what you think. Just try to look at a lot of pictures of each color and maybe try to find them in person. Then, climb to the top of a mountain and meditate until the right color makes itself known to you.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 AM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

lol - it's your car (AeroSmith) that got me thinking about Cobalt in the first place, before i saw your car it was GT SM all the way. not only that, your car looks great with the Carrerra classic rims, i thought that the new Carrerra S wheel was the way to go, now i'm not so sure...look at all the uncertainty you've brought into my life

one thing about GT Silver, it goes great with cocoa interior, which i really like, and i think the blue is a bit harder to match interior wise. it looks good with grey, but not a huge fan of grey interiors.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by jjl
lol - it's your car (AeroSmith) that got me thinking about Cobalt in the first place, before i saw your car it was GT SM all the way. not only that, your car looks great with the Carrerra classic rims, i thought that the new Carrerra S wheel was the way to go, now i'm not so sure...look at all the uncertainty you've brought into my life

one thing about GT Silver, it goes great with cocoa interior, which i really like, and i think the blue is a bit harder to match interior wise. it looks good with grey, but not a huge fan of grey interiors.
Sorry to screw you up.

I saw a 50th anniversary (of the 550) Boxter at my dealer about 6 months ago. It had the GT Silver Metallic and the Cocoa interior. Man, I was ready to drive it home right then and there. The cocoa looks so rich and creamy with the GT Silver. It's a very luxurious combo.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
danoberer
Instructor

Bring back Polar Silver!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:24 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Wow, that's a tough call. My top three color choices were GT Silver, Cobalt and Atlas.

Silver has a strong German racing heritage. Design engineers always use silver to assess designs as it best shows the form without adding or taking anything away from the design. Other colors tend to add or detract from the overall form of the car. Ever notice how even a hideous car (or a person for that matter) can look better in black?

GT Silver is pretty amazing in that it really shows great contrast under different lighting conditions. This is especially apparent on cars with nice curves. Arctic tends to be very reflective, bright and very "white," but showing less contrast and depth, especially under less than ideal light. (No offense AS owners, it's just my opinion and these differences are subtle.)

Cobalt, on the other hand, is also a very striking color. It is probably the best metallic blue I have seen in many years. It's rich, bright and "electric" and also shows off the lines and looks amazing on the 997.

Aerosmith said it best already - pick which you like best and you won't be sorry.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:42 PM
tocho
Track Day

Even better...Cobalt Blue with Terracota interior...Dont say anything until u see it
Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I better chime in here. I have Gt Silver on order with Tom McAfee at Steven's Creek Porsche, but I have to admit after seeing Aerosmiths Beautiful Cobalt Blue X51 S IMO its a toss up couldn't go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: GT Silver vs. Cobalt Blue