Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005 | 01:13 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Default Torque Wrench Recommendation?

My handy Craftsman torque wrench has fallen apart, and Sears no longer replaces them under their warranty. Instead they provide a little fix-it kit. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding a good, accurate torque wrench? I would rather not spend a fortune, but I will pay a reasonable price for good quality.
Old 10-05-2005 | 01:33 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by lawjdc
My handy Craftsman torque wrench has fallen apart, and Sears no longer replaces them under their warranty. Instead they provide a little fix-it kit. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding a good, accurate torque wrench? I would rather not spend a fortune, but I will pay a reasonable price for good quality.

Now that's a topic I can get into. I live by my Snap On torques. They're not cheap and they're worth every accurate penny, IMO. I choose three torque wrenchs to cover the three drive sizes - 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch - each has a different min. and max. ft. lbs. and the 1/2 is a different mechanism.

What I did was use the SnapOn.com website to research the three wrench models that were right for me and then I shopped eBay for a GREAT deal on the exact tool I was looking for. It turns out that threre are many "tool stores" almost always selling great Snap On tools on eBay at a big discount.

Tools are FUN. Damn, makes me want to buy a new torque wrench!
Old 10-05-2005 | 02:26 PM
Paul S.
Pro

I agree on Snap-On--you can frequently get used ones in near perfection condition on Ebay for a fraction of the price new. And if you're really worried about it, you could get it recalibrated when you buy it.

When my "crap", I mean craftsman broke, that's what I did, and the Snap-On likely will out last me.
Old 10-05-2005 | 04:17 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Yep, Snap-On all the way. I've got 4 of them, including inch pound. Probably one of the most handy is a swivle head 3/8 5-75ft lbs in half pound increments. These are things you buy only once
Old 10-05-2005 | 04:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Craftsman, second to none.
Old 10-05-2005 | 07:44 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Question: of the drive sizes, which one is best for wrenching wheel lug nuts?
Old 10-05-2005 | 08:06 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

1/2" for the wheel lugs.
Old 10-05-2005 | 10:06 PM
MMD
Banned

Forget Craftsman. IMO, Sears is trading on the name and has cheapened the products to increase profits. Get one made by the Big Names you see elsewhere, I forget what they are..., Husky? Snap On? SK Wayne? I'm not sure exactly, but Sears stuff is not that great.
Old 10-05-2005 | 10:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

spend the money, get snap on.
Old 10-06-2005 | 02:14 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the advice. I looked at the Snap On website and then quickly located a new Snap On torque wrench on eBay and purchased it. Its sad about the demise in quality of the Craftsman line of tools. A.J. Foyt still endorses Craftsman, so if a wheel falls off one of his race cars, we will all know the cause of the problem!
Old 10-06-2005 | 03:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Sorry guys, I don't see the demise of craftsman tools, I've never had any problem with one of their TRs'. I've returned several tools over the years, always exchanged no questions asked, just lucky I guess.
Old 10-06-2005 | 03:34 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

With the Craftsman tools, since they do now have a "value line", I would stray from that but their "professional line" (perhaps before their only line) are still pretty nice.
Old 10-06-2005 | 11:56 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Sorry guys, I don't see the demise of craftsman tools,
You can cut costs in manufacture to increase profits. I'm sure there's business plans which asess how popular name brands can lower quality and still sustain (for a while?) high levels of consumer confidence.
Old 10-09-2005 | 01:56 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Sorry guys, I don't see the demise of craftsman tools, I've never had any problem with one of their TRs'. I've returned several tools over the years, always exchanged no questions asked, just lucky I guess.
Depends a lot on which tools--on torque wrenches for a number of years now, NONE of the craftsman have lifetime warranties, the handles are plastic, and they break. When one of the new ones break, you won't get them exchanged unless the wrench is within the limited time warranty (I don't remember how many years it is, but it's not lifetime). Check it out the next time you're in Sears. Times change--I now have a Snap On torque wrench that will probably outlive me. My Sears torque wrench broke, it wasn't used that much and still looked brand new. I won't buy another.
Old 10-09-2005 | 02:02 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Times change--I now have a Snap On torque wrench that will probably outlive me. My Sears torque wrench broke, it wasn't used that much and still looked brand new. I won't buy another.
When I think back to my power tools that fell apart or burned out: I swear only the craftsman ones come to mind. My CM Drill and circ saw are gone, the only toolz I ever owned that I actually dumped in the garbage can. BTW, I heard Ryobi makes stuff for Craftsman, NOT a great mfgr.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Recommendation?