Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S without the Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
rebe1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Sports Chrono myself, but I think others will accept it more if the timer plastic is textured like the rest of the dash (i.e. like how they show you in the 3D configurator), not just smooth plastic.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:20 PM
2thfixr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sports Chrono does more than just remap the throttle. This is a quote from the Porsche site.

"Pressing the “Sport” button on the center console is all that’s required to begin exploiting the new 911’s generous reserves of power and agility in a more immediate manner. In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration.

On vehicles with Tiptronic S transmission, automatic gearshifts also become faster and more dynamic. Lift off the throttle – even at high revs – and the system immediately shifts down to apply engine braking.

Unwanted upshifts in manual mode are also prevented, even as you approach the engine’s rev limit. The payoff? More secure and predictable handling, particularly in the corners.

While all of this is happening, PASM switches to a more rigid setup with firmer electronic damper settings for precise cornering, improved high-speed stability and tenacious road-holding traction. (Note: PASM, or Porsche Active Suspension Management, is optional on the 911 Carrera and standard on the 911 Carrera S).

Porsche Stability Management is also performance-optimized by raising the thresholds for triggering automatic intervention by the ABS and engine management systems, resulting in a more natural response, but less forgiving to lateral and longitudinal g-forces."

It seems that there is more to it than just a throttle remap. Plus, the wart swivels left to right!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Carrera S without the Sport Chrono