997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S without the Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005 | 06:57 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I agree that Porsche should not make you pay extra for it....Car should be set up with quick throttle response and if you turn PSM off then it should be freaking off....Not for Porsche to police in my opion.

Also,

i get way better gas milage with it off so maybe they did it for some marketing or MPG numbers that help sales or taxes etc......

Anyone thought of this????????????
Old 10-07-2005 | 06:01 AM
Superfans
Racer

I am sure that the Sport Chrono will to a certain extent enhance the driving pleasure. However, please correct me if my understanding is wrong. The car is basically the same car with 355hp. The Sport Chrono just make the throttle response a bit more sensitive (and the suspension a bit firmer), right? so without it, the car should still runs the same way (except one may have to push the gas pedal a bit further down and change the setting of the PASM to sport)? Do you agree?
Old 10-07-2005 | 12:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Can anybody explain this? I pulled it off the Sport Chrono explanation from the "Carrera S in detail" portion of the PCNA website.

In the sport mode:
"Unwanted upshifts in manual mode are also prevented, even as you approach the engine’s rev limit. The payoff? More secure and predictable handling, particularly in the corners."
Old 10-07-2005 | 12:58 PM
OCBen
Banned

Sounds like a question for the TIP guys who know how that slush box behaves.

But it sounds like it forces the tranny to stay in the gear you want it in, instead of having it automatically upshift as your revs climb near the limiter, hence giving you better control of power to the drive wheels. ... Or something remotely close to that.
Old 10-07-2005 | 01:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ahhhh.....I interpreted it as Manual (ie, 6 speed). Thanks Ben.

NOT ENOUGH COFFEEE IN THE SYSTEM YET!
Old 10-07-2005 | 02:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Did that one happen to slip through under your glove? ... Seems to be a chronic problem for those wearing red socks! ...

Sorry man, couldn't resist that one. ... Go BOSOX, I've got money riding on them...okay, not that much.
Old 10-07-2005 | 03:29 PM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Sport Chrono option annoys me as well. One, for looks - I also see the chrono as a wart on the dash. And I know it's a sports car, but I think we all want our expensive toys to look good too. Two, it annoys me because the electonics is fools with. I too can't stand this artificial throttle mapping. My M5 has a sport button which changes the throttle mapping and the steering response. It's plain old dumb. These systems usually make for twitchy throttles to trick people into thinking the car's faster. Like old Dinan chips on BMWs. My right foot works fine thank you Porsche. The problem is, on my BMW I can just leave the sport button off and get the same performance. If the sport chrono truly affects the suspension and that can't be gotten any other way, am I forced to get the option?
Old 10-07-2005 | 03:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
Did that one happen to slip through under your glove? ... Seems to be a chronic problem for those wearing red socks! ...

Sorry man, couldn't resist that one. ... Go BOSOX, I've got money riding on them...okay, not that much.
Good one Ben........even though it was only the 5th innning I started thinking to myself.......oh God, here we go again!

Chilling my Guiness as we speak ready to sit down and watch the game in about 2 hours. Just take me out of my misery
Old 10-07-2005 | 04:16 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some of us like that "wart" on the dash look...

It's all in the opinons. Do what ever makes you happy.
Old 10-07-2005 | 04:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by LVDell
.....even though it was only the 5th innning I started thinking to myself.......oh God, here we go again!

Chilling my Guiness as we speak ready to sit down and watch the game in about 2 hours. Just take me out of my misery
Yeah I know, I couldn't believe it either as I watched the play. I had to do a double take to make sure that second baseman wasn't wearing a shaggy mustache. ... Could have sworn I heard Vin Sculley's voice at that very moment, "A little roller up along ...second base..."

That Guiness sounds real good right about now. Just a couple more hours til I get off work and then I'll be at the sports bar enjoying a frosty mug.

I've got a good feeling they'll win tonight. Don't know if they'll be able to pull off the series or not. Sure hope so. (No offense ChiSox fans!)

Here's to Game 4:
Old 10-07-2005 | 04:44 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by JFScheck
How's that for some solid advice!
Old 10-07-2005 | 05:06 PM
rebe1
Racer

Cool, that just opened up more candidates for my car search, don't have to only look for Sports Chrono anymore, even though I'd prefer if it was already ordered.

Originally Posted by OCBen
rebe1, your answer is YES!
Old 10-08-2005 | 03:57 PM
Sobe
Pro

Old 10-10-2005 | 08:46 PM
jlee
Instructor

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Some of us like that "wart" on the dash look...

I agree. Sport chrono is not universally disliked. It is a fine piece which I do not mind sitting on my dash. I would not say that it is a plus, but not a minus either, especially when you consider the extra features that you get with this option.
Old 10-11-2005 | 06:05 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

I was not a huge fan of the wart myself when I first saw it, but now the dash would seem naked without it.

I do think it is a must have option though. When Porsche went to a computer controlled throttle back in 00, there were a lot of complains that Porsche took some of the feel out of the car. E-gas introduced a slight delay or roll up and roll down effect when you get on and off the gas. The ramp up/ramp down is still there even if you punch it all the way down of take you foot completely off at full throttle. The delay is not enough to make a noticeable change in 0-60 or quarter mile times, but it does not allow you throttle steer the car as well. This is just as important on a tight street corner as well as longer sweeper on the track.

Sport mode in effect returns the throttle feel back to how a 911 use to be, the non-sport “normal” mode artificially dummies downs the throttle to make the car more tame and less responsive. I find it funny that putting more feel back into the car is consider useless, and other are more concerned about appearance over function.

It is a good compromise to provide the better gas mileage, safer to drive mode and the return to its roots 911 mode.

Quick Reply: Carrera S without the Sport Chrono