Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

0-60 time

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone here is forgetting that most every reputable car magazine NORMALIZES their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, among others, for factors outside their control (weather, testing surface, wind velocity, etc.).

And to me, a car rated 4.8sec 0-60 (E46 M3) feels slower than a car rated at 4.2sec (996 turbo). The 0-60 numbers are helpful for comparison purposes. I enjoy reading them but don't take them as gospel, as nobody should. Same thing for oft-touted Nürburgring laptimes. Sheesh, two seconds over 14 miles, wow.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:36 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I might as well chime in here...

When I had the rental 997S in Germany a couple weeks ago, I have to admit that on the last day, before returning it, I spent some time "experimenting" with 0-60 runs on a quiet, traffic-free highway in the middle of nowhere. I knew that I'd never do any hard launches in my own car, and since it was a rental... well, you know...

First I tried some regular launches where I didn't rev and dump the clutch. Just eased it out of the hole and as soon as clutch was fully engaged, floored it. That first gear is so low that it really didn't bog too much. I think the biggest issue with a clean, fast launch without dumping the clutch is normally bog.

Then, of course, I revved, dumped, and feathered the throttle. Revving to 3,500 spun the rears for about 10-15 feet, then pretty violent axle tramp, then it hooked and went. The two times I did it, the rear kicked out to the left about 3-4 feet while the rears were spinning.

Then I tried slipping the clutch and feathering revs right from the get-go. This was probably the best launch overall, as it got the revs high very quick, with very little bog and practically no wheelspin. However, I think it's probably the hardest on the clutch. You could smell burning clutch.

None of this really matters anyway, as the Porsche is NOT a drag racing car. But it was interesting to see what the car will do.

I will say this: I believe those 0-60 times in 4 seconds are for real. This car is deceptively quick and gets through those gears quick. The car has the ability, the only question is, does the driver. You have to think those test guys with the car rags know what they're doing for the most part, so I'd believe their 0-60 times. But think of all the variables that could affect their times: tires, pavement temp, air temp, miles on the test car, launch method, shift method, etc etc. I think it's all those variables that cause variance in the 0-60 times we read.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:21 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
I might as well chime in here...

When I had the rental 997S in Germany a couple weeks ago, I have to admit that on the last day, before returning it, I spent some time "experimenting" with 0-60 runs on a quiet, traffic-free highway in the middle of nowhere. I knew that I'd never do any hard launches in my own car, and since it was a rental... well, you know...
I will say this: I believe those 0-60 times in 4 seconds are for real. This car is deceptively quick and gets through those gears quick. The car has the ability, the only question is, does the driver. You have to think those test guys with the car rags know what they're doing for the most part, so I'd believe their 0-60 times. But think of all the variables that could affect their times: tires, pavement temp, air temp, miles on the test car, launch method, shift method, etc etc. I think it's all those variables that cause variance in the 0-60 times we read.
One other thing you didn't mention is weight. Porshes' outstanding performance is due to their high performance engines and their very light curb weight. When I use to drag race many years ago, I'd remove evrything from the car that wasn't tied down, and I'd run with a very light fuel load, no more than a 1/8 of a tank. Gas is heavy. If I'm not mistaken, when the magazine test drivers run their times, they run the cars with full fuel loads, and they all carry about 40 lbs of test equipment on the car. So these guys could run even faster times if they shed the excess weight.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I suspect that Porsche 0-60 times are done without doing a launch, just the normal slip in to 1st at 800-1000 rpm and floor it. They also probably put a 200 lb guy in the passenger seat.
Gear changing should be a issue since it should only be one shift into 2nd at about 44 mph
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throughout this thread, concerns have been raised about: (1) what difference is really meaningful; (2) the extent to which these 0-60 tests are standardized across the various cars tested by the mag; and (3) the particular launch method used.

These are legitimate issues, but guys these tests ARE about as standardized as you can get for these 0-60 runs. This is a major benefit for comparing the RELATIVE performance of cars tested under similar circumstances. As evidence of this, look to the R&T "Road Test Summary" technical notes. These notes are quite clear about the various ways in which the 0-60 tests have been standardized across the cars tested. See p. 135 of the October 2005 edition for two important points (among others):

1. Significant, meaningful, differences in 0-60 times are differences of 0.3 seconds; and 0.5 in the 1/4 mile.

2. Acceleration numbers are obtained using drop-clutch starts and lift-throttle shifts.

So, there is a standardized procedure for conducting these tests (drop clutch starts and lift-throttle shifts and there is an established criterion for measuring meaningful 0-60 time differences (0.3 seconds). Sure, R&T concedes that there may be factors that affect test numbers, like air temperature, barometric pressure, condition of the track, and tune of the car. But, factors like these affect any standardized test and the results obtained from them.

Interestingly enough, this suggests that the 3.9 second time posted for the 997S is statistically equivalent (within 0.3 seconds) to the Carerra GT's 3.6 time!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Throughout this thread, concerns have been raised about: (1) what difference is really meaningful; (2) the extent to which these 0-60 tests are standardized across the various cars tested by the mag; and (3) the particular launch method used.

These are legitimate issues, but guys these tests ARE about as standardized as you can get for these 0-60 runs. This is a major benefit for comparing the RELATIVE performance of cars tested under similar circumstances. As evidence of this, look to the R&T "Road Test Summary" technical notes. These notes are quite clear about the various ways in which the 0-60 tests have been standardized across the cars tested. See p. 135 of the October 2005 edition for two important points (among others):

1. Significant, meaningful, differences in 0-60 times are differences of 0.3 seconds; and 0.5 in the 1/4 mile.

2. Acceleration numbers are obtained using drop-clutch starts and lift-throttle shifts.

So, there is a standardized procedure for conducting these tests (drop clutch starts and lift-throttle shifts and there is an established criterion for measuring meaningful 0-60 time differences (0.3 seconds). Sure, R&T concedes that there may be factors that affect test numbers, like air temperature, barometric pressure, condition of the track, and tune of the car. But, factors like these affect any standardized test and the results obtained from them.

Interestingly enough, this suggests that the 3.9 second time posted for the 997S is statistically equivalent (within 0.3 seconds) to the Carerra GT's 3.6 time!
The notes in the Car and Driver test section specify that they test their cars using clutch slip or wheel spin. They also state that they run the cars with full fuel loads and ten lbs of test equipment.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:05 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know whether anyone's seen this yet or not, but in their 2006 sales literature, Porsche publishes a 0-60 time that is 0.2 second quicker with the new power package.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:23 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must be talking about the X51 package, then yes!

Quick Reply: 0-60 time