Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts
Cool Pulled the trigger...........

After months of deliberation (with myself), and researching as much as I could, I placed the order for a new S converatable (thanks to Tracy for his dealer recomendation).

Planned build date is in November with December delivery (just in time for Christmas). I got most of the 'standard' options (Sports chrono, NAv, Bose, short shifter, heated seats, power seats, TPMS, illumiated door sils, creasts in headrest, Sport design wheels, chrome exhaust tips, wheel crests, multifunction steering wheel, and options 666 for the phone, and splurged a little with the leather (went for the Natural Leather Grey) to go along with the Atlas Grey exterior.

I opted not to get the PSE and this is still one option that I am not sure about. I have a few more days to add this option and now I am wondering if I should get it. To give you an idea where I am comming from: I had a 98 Boxter, and really loved that car. The engine sound (to me) was awsome, and 'loud' enough. I currently drive a GS300 and LX470, and these machines are extremely refined and 'subdued' and that is what I am used to. I know the 911 is louder and the 911S is even louder (I heard someone saying that it sounds close to 996 with PSE??). I went to the local dealer and he started a 997 with PSE for me. It was in the showroom, and to my ear it was annoyingly loud, and almost sounded 'unrefined' as it sounded like it was rhymically backfiring at idle speed (and then extremely loud when reved). (The sales manager walked by and said 'now thats what a real sports car should sound like'). After hearing the exhaust I was convinced that this is what I do NOT want.

However after reading post after post, audio clips as well, it seems that most people just love the PSE and now I am in a dilemma again (since I do value existing owners opinions) especially since the car was in the showroom, and likley did not support the PSE accoustics. The dealer that I ordered through mentioned that if I wanted to get the exhaust afterwords, it should be easy to 'retrofit', but suggested that I get something other than Porsche as would likely be cheaper and supply some performance enhancememt as well. I have a thing for going OEM, and would likely stick with PSE rather than aftermarket.

What I would like to know is wheather anyone actually turns off the PSE when driving around town (or does everyone leave it on all the time?) I plan on using it as a daily driver for mix of highway and local roads, and wonder/worry that the PSE will give me a headache after driving it with it on (because it is too loud, or harsh for my ears? (I think I would have the sports chrono on most of the time with non PSE. It really is a shame that they did not have 2 buttons that could run each feature independantly). Also is anyone out there like me that thinks the PSE is too loud, unrefined, etc and rarely uses the PSE because of that? (Also how is the WAF (wife acceptance factor) with the PSE. My wife is already complaining about the base 911S being too loud (and that is just from the audioclips) and I know she will complain even more with the PSE, so I will likely get a negative WAF.

Thanks for reading and any comments would be welcomed.

Deven
Old 09-24-2005, 07:16 PM
997Vancity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my humble opinion would for you to not get it since you don't seem to like your car that loud, if money was not an issue i would get it but its not so i wouldnt though i like my cars loud I would take that money and buy a Aftermarket exhaust which gives more loudness and more HP.

Btw Great color choice im gonna order a atlas grey 911S as well after my lease on my 987 is done in 12 monthes.

ENJOY.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:21 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 529 Likes on 349 Posts

PSE is a must on Porsche, its not too loud, just right.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:37 PM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

It's not loud enough, in my opinion.

Seriously, the last place you want to hear PSE is inside a showroom. It probably did sound way too loud because of that. After hearing the PSE on my 997S, the normal exhaust sounds quite subdued.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:38 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get the PSE just order X51, as it comes with it. Might as well go all the way! Congrats!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

You shouldn't have listened to the exhaust outside the car...you should have listened from INSIDE the car. Did you??

That will determine it. Can't you turn the PSE "on and off" in a way. I thought it had some kind of dampening switch.

You ordered the option for phone support and the Bose. If you can't realistically hear the phone or stereo because of the exhaust, i doubt you will be happy with the car if you are used to toned down vehicles. A stereo is pointless in my car, and forget talking on a cell phone. If i am under hard acceleration, you can forget talking to the person next to you as well. I do not drive this car daily, so I love it. I would never have an exhaust like this for a daily car though unless I could quiet it down when needed.

You seemed to do a pretty nice option list. Exhaust is something that can be added later, and the PSE is not the end all of exhausts. (TUBI !!!!!!!) If your gut feeling says its overboard, pass on it. If you ever feel the need for sound, it's not the biggest issue to correct. Just because some people wouldn't drive a Porsche without it screaming like a banshee doesn't mean thats how it has to be. I drool for straightpipes. Others can't hear themselves think. Do what's right for you.

EDIT: Oh yeah.....the acoustics in the showroom are probably not the best and the exhaust was most likely going berserk frm the reflections. Listen inside the car in the outdoors!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:06 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i am under hard acceleration, you can forget talking to the person next to you as well.
Yea but how often are you accelerating? I'd say 95% of daily driving is constant speed and not accelerating. In which case, the stereo and phone come in handy.

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah that is true!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Deven
Pro

Thanks for the replys. I did hear the car standing behind the vehicle, and not inside of the cockpit. I guess I am looking for some assurances from non-PSE people (or people that have the PSE and don' use it). The saving grace is that the PSE should be retrofitable (if that is a word), hopefully with no differences from factory install should I decide afterwords. Inventory is so low locally, that I will not get a chance to hear the PSE in person again. I would lean towards getting the PSE if it had a separate on/off from the sports chrono (if that matters any) and then use it when I want to scare the neighbours dogs. (just kidding).

I guess the dilemma is when getting ones 'dream' car, I kind of what everything to be just 'perfect'. I am sure if I were to get a base car with no options I would be very happy with it, but twinking it to get it personal (well that is the excuse Porsche has with all the options) kind of makes sense, but causes more grief when building to spec (unlike Lexus, where there is usually only 1-2 option packages and you get everything else standard so there is no debate on getting the individual options).

Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of the old big block muscle cars, my solitary experience with the PSE really turned me off however, but everyone that has posted an opinion has done so just like Jasclass did:

"PSE is a must on Porsche, its not too loud, just right."

Which is why I am debating this option again.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:58 PM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

One other thing to consider is that the retrofit adds anywhere from $300 to $1200 for labor. The $300 quote is for installation without the switch (ie., always on). The average cost for labor for full install is probably about $800. So have it installed at the factory if you think you're going to get it.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:58 AM
tnunnery
Instructor

Congrats on your order! I think you'll be very happy - your spec sounds great and Atlas is an awesome color choice!

I pick up in about a week and decided against the Sport Exhaust after hearing it as well. If it provided any power gains at all, I may have gone for it. I couldn't rationalize the added cost for just the sound when the S has an excellent roar as is. But, you'll be happy if you decide what's right for you.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:26 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

My 996 doesn't have PSE.

When I did the Porsche Driving Experience I was amazed at how great (from the inside while driving and from the outside when the cars were on the track) the cars sound with PSE. So I started wishing my 996 had PSE.

Well, my new 997S has PSE (wish I had my new 997S). It was a must have for me on the new car. Now I also like to do a lot of long road trips where I'm more concerned with tunes most of the time. I'm also more concerned with not getting fatigued. But the beauty of PSE is that it can be turned off. So, for me, it is really the perfect sport exhaust option. Honestly, I'd be surprised if you didn't love the sound while driving the car. It's the way the 911 is supposed to sound.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Speed
Pro

The only option I'd suggest that's not on your list is the self-dimming mirrors. Not expensive and makes a real difference when you've got an SUV behind you.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Deven
Pro

Actually i do have the self dimming mirrors as well (forgot to include in the list above), I totally agree with the usefullness. Thanks.

The more I think about it, I wonder if one of the reasons why I did not like the PSE sound was because it is an 'Exhaust' sound, and not from the engine. The old muscle cars had awsome (and loud) sounds that mainly came from the big blocks and that 'noise' I do not mind at all. The 911 has a beautiful engine sound, and that gets replased by the exhaust note. (Maybe it is psychological, but perhaps that is the same reason that I find Honda Civics, etc, with modified exhausts extremely obnoxious, because it is the exhaust note, not the engine that is making the sound?). I don't know, still deciding and polling some of my family members and friends as well......

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger...........