Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official V1 Hardwire Install Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:48 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam: good job! Now, to make it perfect, you should move the V1 a little higher up so that the top front edge of the detector is resting against the headliner. The V1 will vibrate a lot less and the installation will be more secure. Just move the suction cups higher on the windshield. No loss in rear sensitivity, just an even more unobtrusive location.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BREAKING NEWS....

Thanks to MJONES for reminding me of Loren at RennTech's comment that "generally Porsche uses brown colored wires as ground and the last 996's (2005) used black/orange for power"

Well, after I performed and posted about the hidden wire install, I realized this is the weak way out. I did not start this project to be publically embarrassed by doing the cheapo way out. And it is not a switched power either.

So, nothwithstanding that its 12:30 am and I have to work tomorrow, MJONES' post was in my head. So, its back to the garage to dissassemble the light assembly. Again.

Turns out that the 12 VDC switched wire in the 9 pin connector I found earlier(see post above) was Black with an Orange stripe!!! AND, turns out there was only one Brown wire in that connector and it indeed was one of the 5 potential grounds.

So, WTF. Try it or blow up trying. I set up the V1 direct wire cables via alligator clips to the meter probes. I touched the hot wire to pin 2 (hot - the black/orange wire) and black ground wire to pin 10 (ground - the brown wire) and the V1 lights up like a christmas tree!!!!! And it is switched!!!!!

Tomorrow I will do the actual install and post pix. I will also test with the wipers, etc. But I think I got it!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:51 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Adam: good job! Now, to make it perfect, you should move the V1 a little higher up so that the top front edge of the detector is resting against the headliner. The V1 will vibrate a lot less and the installation will be more secure. Just move the suction cups higher on the windshield. No loss in rear sensitivity, just an even more unobtrusive location.
However, the top 3" of the windshield is tinted. That is why I lowered it.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:16 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I completed the full installation, it was successful, and will post a DIY. I am closing this thread and any comments can be posted on the DIY thread.

- Adam

Quick Reply: The Official V1 Hardwire Install Progress Thread