Road trip in Florida - suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip in Florida - suggestions

Hi

Any suggestions as to a good road trip in Florida....basically what I am looking for is a road or area where to enjoy the car....not 5 hours of i-95. This is what I like the worst about living in Miami....there are not mountain roads, no curvy roads, no autobahn....just boring highways.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:22 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're looking for twisties and roads to run on, don't bother with the Pensacola area. Something about 200 feet above sea level being the highest elevation for 100 miles just ruins the chance of finding any exciting mountain roads. Good luck!
Brian
Old 09-14-2005, 09:26 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

DeSoto/Hardee county have some good roads around the Sebring track. Connecting 70 and 27 is Old State Road 8 which is newly repaved and has some nice hills. Off 66, Crewsville and Sweetwater are always entertaining. These roads are patrolled with some regularity, so don't go flying down there with your 'foreign-job'.

Better yet, sign up for a track day at Moroso, Homestead, or Sebring with Chin, PCA, PBOC, Safe, etc.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
baboou
Instructor

Try the Central Florida area around Clermont, Howey in the Hills and Tavares. county and secondary roads are hilly (for Florida) and somewhat twistie. The area around Sugarloaf Mountain (such as it is) NE of Clermont is really pretty good.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

The wife, kids and I recently took a long weekend up at the Saddlebrook Resort north of Tampa. On our way there we stopped at Weekie Wachie springs to play at the water park. Driving from Weekie Wachie to Saddlebrook we tried to take the back roads, county and state. I remember I kept thinking that I wished we were in my Carrera instead of our Yukon Denali because much of the drive consisted of fun twisty roads.

The Brooksville area, also north of Tampa, is horse country and is quite hilly with some good back roads.

Another fun drive might be to Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales. The gardens themselves are beautiful. And I believe they're at the highest point in Florida.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:43 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions...It seems like a have to plan a trip to North and Central Florida....and I will also try the track days, even though I am a little hesitant to do it with such an expensive and new car...
Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I recommend the Ocala area which has more rolling hills. It is essentially horse country and worth a long distance drive.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:56 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Driveby
I recommend the Ocala area which has more rolling hills. It is essentially horse country and worth a long distance drive.
Yep, Ocala is cool. I'm heading up there in a week to go to the state rifle range with some friends. Ahhhh, a day away in the country with my 996....I can't wait.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

That's one nice thing about So. CA lots of nice day drives from here with all types of roads and scenery.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Red Blur
Intermediate

Orlando. When I owned an S2000, we had a couple meets there and there were a lot of great hills and twisties. Not to mention, Orlando is great if you're looking for something else to do besides drive.

Quick Reply: Road trip in Florida - suggestions