Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of State purchase - no certified cheque?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
rebe1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of State purchase - no certified cheque?

I was told by a Porsche dealer that they do not allow bank drafts / certified cheques for the amount of the car, and that I have to wire them the money first since I am buying out of the state. Is it normal to wire money of that amount to an account that the dealer specifies before picking up the car (he says I have to do it three days beforehand, because that's how long it takes, which is strange because I wire money across the world in less than a day). Please inform me if this is normal practice before I proceed. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Tracym
Advanced

Cashiers check/certified check is cash. Tell him to bank the check and tell you when it clears if he wants to be a jerk about it. Sounds strange to me.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:51 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Cashiers checks/certified checks are not cash!! If the funds are not in place the checks will bounce. The only thing that is cash is.. well, cash and a bank to bank wire transfer.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Speed
Pro

The dealer is being unduly picky. I'm from NY and in June bought a 997S from Beechmont Porsche in Cincinnati. I brought two bank checks--one from myself, and one from the buyer of my used '02 996 (the transaction was being run through the dealership to save me the sales tax) and they accepted them with no problems.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:23 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes that is the safest way for the dealer but I have never heard of it. Usually if they run your credit to make sure you are a real person a cashier's check would be fine. My dealer taking a personal check.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:39 AM
rebe1
Racer

I have no problems with the wired funds as long as I can be assured that I'm not just giving my money away to someone else's account. Its like taking a leap of faith Then again, I shouldn't be that weary of an actual Porsche dealer doing that, right?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew into Salt Lake City and bought my 997S with a simple Wells Fargo Bank cashiers check for the full purchase price. Signed the documents and was on my way back to Reno in just a few minutes. The dealer you are buying from must have been burned in a previous transaction. A cashiers check can easily be verified with a call to the issuing bank.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Cashiers checks/certified checks are not cash!! If the funds are not in place the checks will bounce. The only thing that is cash is.. well, cash and a bank to bank wire transfer.
Of course a cashier's check can be forged if that's what you mean.

On the other hand a legitimate cashier's check is just as good as cash inasmuch as the check is not written unless funds are available in the account to cover the check. The amount of the check is immediately deducted from your account.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been told that there are so many counterfit cashier's checks and money orders being passed that banks are not wanting to accept them anymore. I recently sold my corvette to a man from Oregon and had him send a Wells Fargo cashiers check for the deposit. I took it to the local Wells Fargo branch to cash it, they called his bank, his bank then called him to confirm that he had sent me the check and that it was OK for me to try to cash it. If he had not been home when they called I don't think they would have let me cash it. The whole process took almost half an hour. So I guess if a bank won't even trust a cashier's check issued by one of their own branches, the Porsche dealer's bank probably has the same concerns about accepting out of state checks as well. I'm sure if you were local, the dealer would accept even a personal check. Bank wire transfers are a pain in the butt and you would think that they would be completed instantly in this day and age, but I was told by my bank that wire transfers and processed twice a day making most transfers take at least one day to be completed. I wouldn't be worried to do a wire transfer to a dealer's account, but I would be real hesitant to do that to a private party.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Paid w/check, out of state, no worries.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:26 PM
rebe1
Racer

Thanks for the info guys! Damn, guess I better become a member when I get the car, with all the questions everyone has helped me with these last few months. Plus I get a sticker :P
Old 09-13-2005, 05:22 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of which, I registered and received my membership ID number. Are we supposed to enter it somewhere in the profile for it to recognize us, or do we just wait until somebody else does it for us??
Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

There are a lot of scams going around now. Have them throw a little something else in to cover the wire charge
Old 09-13-2005, 11:27 PM
997Opus
Intermediate

My dealer was great, he accepted a personal check that I wrote out when I picked up the car.

Dave
Old 09-14-2005, 05:06 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

No Sub Edu--send a PM to John or Jenn and they will post you as a member. They are really busy folks so sometimes it can take a few weeks for that to register on the system.

Quick Reply: Out of State purchase - no certified cheque?