Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange 997S Handling Characteristics...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:28 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Thanks for the insight guys. This gives me lots of stuff to practice during my upcoming drives. One more question:

Let's say I'm in a curve with lots of speed, and I'm feathering the throttle, and I start getting major understeer. So I get off the throttle, and start applying pressure to the brakes to try and get the front end to "bite" and get rid of that understeer. Do I have to worry about the back end coming around on me when I apply the brakes?

Whenever I have the thought of getting on the brakes mid-turn, especially when I'm carry quite a bit of speed through there, I have flashbacks to a time when I did exactly the same thing driving a Viper GTS (piece of junk!) mid-turn. I got on the brakes, and that back end kicked out so fast that I almost lost it and spun. I did manage to get it straight again, but not without some serious wrestling, and going off-road into the desert (I was driving a rental out near Vegas at the time).

So, let's say I'm mid-corner, and as a worst case scenario, say I missed the apex and I'm getting big time understeer. Do I have to worry about the rear of the 997S kicking out suddenly if I get on the brakes?

Thanks for allowing me the benefit of learning from your experience!!
There are so many variables that determine what you should/shouldn't do. But for the most part, the 997 is very stable, and when the rear is about to let go, you'll know. Whatever you do, don't jump/jab at the brakes/throttle. It'll upset the balance. Smoothness counts. In my turbo, when I was under stock wheels/tires, when the rear lets loose, I always felt that there was ample warning (ie, tires were squealing, lightness). But that was stock, with the 18 inch wheels. I've switched to 19", and the rear tires are 315/19. The grip levels are extremely high, but it gives very little warning when it's gonna let go. I've had it snap on me twice at trackdays, and couldn't recover in time it happened so fast!

From the factory, as some one else has said, there is a lot of understeer built into the car. In addition, there's the PSM to help out (although even that's flawed in certain situations). In all likelihood, you would have to be travelling at an insane speed, have very jerky inputs, to get it out of shape. These cars like to be driven with a certain accuracy, and will reward you for it. Can't chuck it into a turn, correct, turn, correct, etc., and be fast all at the same time.

Go for more trackdays and find out some more!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I had a very similar experience with the 997 carrera I tested 2 weeks ago.

So my NEXT question is.....Are these cars that DAMN sensitive to tire pressure?

edit: and how come you guys didn't tell me the same informative dialog you've shared with this person?

Actually, it's not the car that's affected (not directly, at least) by tire pressures. It's the tire itself that determines how the car handles. If the tire isn't inflated enough, you'll roll right off the tire and onto the wheel. If the tire is over-inflated, the tire's tread can't roll with the road surface. Ask the track gurus, for more specific information about this. Another example: On trackdays, I start with a cold reading of 30 psi, but after about 4 laps, the psi jumps up to 48. Then the tail usually starts to squirm a bit at this point, so I let out the psi down to 30-32 (hot) and I find more grip.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Thanks for the insight guys. This gives me lots of stuff to practice during my upcoming drives. One more question:

Let's say I'm in a curve with lots of speed, and I'm feathering the throttle, and I start getting major understeer. So I get off the throttle, and start applying pressure to the brakes to try and get the front end to "bite" and get rid of that understeer. Do I have to worry about the back end coming around on me when I apply the brakes?

Whenever I have the thought of getting on the brakes mid-turn, especially when I'm carry quite a bit of speed through there, I have flashbacks to a time when I did exactly the same thing driving a Viper GTS (piece of junk!) mid-turn. I got on the brakes, and that back end kicked out so fast that I almost lost it and spun. I did manage to get it straight again, but not without some serious wrestling, and going off-road into the desert (I was driving a rental out near Vegas at the time).

So, let's say I'm mid-corner, and as a worst case scenario, say I missed the apex and I'm getting big time understeer. Do I have to worry about the rear of the 997S kicking out suddenly if I get on the brakes?

Thanks for allowing me the benefit of learning from your experience!!
a.) Why are you driving like this on public roads, not good for yourself of others

b.) You really need to get some instruction and learn about the basics of vehicle dynamics in a controled environment.
The Chicago PCA chapter is a great and active group.
PDE is great as well.

It sounds as if you have driven some cars however it also sounds like you really don't know how to drive either. Smooth is one of the keys as in the previous post, and another is vision

Getting the car out on the track (read controled environment) will most likley temper your youthfull exuberance to driving fast on public roads.
The track experience lets you really experience the capabilities of your car, that is near to impossible to do on a public road.
It's such a rush to have the car wiggle!

Drive within your limits and have fun.
If it feels exciting...slow down
Old 08-29-2005, 08:24 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excuse me for butting in but don't these cars have stability management which allows INDIVIDUAL wheels to be braked (which, of course cannot be replicated manually)? I.e., understeer will cause breaking of the inside rear wheel and oversteer the outside front wheel and/or reduce the throttle.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad this ended happily because the day before this thread started I heard a story that popped into my head immediately upon reading about the strange handling. The story: A guy returns to the dealer claiming that his brand new Porsche has a very bumpy ride and handles very strangely. Upon inspection, they found that the transport clamps around the springs (placed so the car doesn't bounce around during shipping) were still attached. Made me wonder what else they forgot to do.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:36 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim -- Actually, in looking at the service records that came with the car, I noticed it had been in the shop back in January for: "Tighten rear sway bar link." Hopefully this has nothing to do with what I experienced. Then again, maybe I'll crawl underneath and make sure everything seems secure!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:04 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

eilig, good that your enjoying your new 997

all cars (especially street cars) understeer when entering a corner at higher speed than the car can handle. once speed drops and the front tires bite the car turns in. this has nothing to do with weight distribution of the 997.

when the speed drops and the front tires bite the 997 would turn in quicker than a vette because its lighter font end.

the suggestion from the guys to trail brake into the corner is good one. rear engine cars are much happier with trail braking because you keep more weight on the front tires during turn in and that reduces understeer and lets you enter the corner at a higher speed compared to no trail braking.

to correct for understeer inside a turn your inputs should be very smooth. you can reduces throttle, gently tap the brakes (you can do that with your left foot but it requires practice to develop left foot sensitivity) , or be a hero on the track and induce controlled oversteer and powerslide through the turn

my 2cents.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

if you don't like that initial understeer, get more aggressive alignment.
perhaps slow down way more when entering a turn, wait until front end hooks up, then gradually goto wot at or slight before apex. way slow in, fast out.

of cousre don't do this on public street, try it on track.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Talking

Eilig-
Good thing you live in Illinois where it is pretty flat, but your understeer could put you in a ditch.
Remember It's not the car, it's the driver.
WATCH THIS!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:53 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by boolala
Excuse me for butting in but don't these cars have stability management which allows INDIVIDUAL wheels to be braked (which, of course cannot be replicated manually)? I.e., understeer will cause breaking of the inside rear wheel and oversteer the outside front wheel and/or reduce the throttle.
They do. It's called PSM, Porsche Stability Management. At the PDE they refer to PSM as the instructor's best friend.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is PDE offered only in Atlanta in the US?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PDE is located just outside of Birmingham, Alabama in Leeds, AL. It's their only location.

http://www.porschedriving.com

Nice set of pics & video from the Aug 9-10 Masters here:

http://imageevent.com/walks357/pdeaug2005
Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. Are the Skip Barber schools altogether different and unaffiliated then?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by OCBen
Correct. Barber Motorsports Park is not affiliated with Skip Barber.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OCBen
Completely different and unaffiliated.

George Barber spent somewhere around 60-70 million $$ to house his MC collection and have a track to test them on. The Museum is a "living museum" where within a couple of hours almost any item in the collection can be up and running.

Interesting info here:
http://www.barbermuseum.org/

Quick Reply: Strange 997S Handling Characteristics...