Sponsored by:

Question about Mutli-Function Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 PM
anthement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Mutli-Function Steering Wheel

I just had the multi-function steering wheel installed in my car (short story - although ordered on the proforma, it was dropped when the car was produced, so the dealer added it separately) and did not have the benefit of the salesman showing me what functions it can control. My question for those of you with the mf steering wheel - is it possible to change (cycle through) the radio presets and change the CD track (forward or reverse through the tracks)?

Thanks,
AE

2005 997S
Slate Grey - Black Full Leather
Adaptive Sport Seats
Alum. Look Package
Multifunction Carbon Steering Wheel
Carbon Gear Shifter and E-Brake
Sport Shifter
Self Dimming Mirrors
Nav
Bose augmented by Reus Audio System
Porsche Crest in Headrest
Sport Chrono
Steel Entry Guards
19" Sport Design Wheel w/Colored Crest
Heated Seats

Last edited by anthement; 08-27-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 PM
synergy
Rennlist Member

I just picked up my S and I too ordered the MF wheel. I actually really like it, however not sure if you can scroll through the stations. I do know, however, that the screen button can be programed through PCM which migh give you the option to scroll up or down with your preset radio stations.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Speed
Pro

You can only scroll through the menus. Selection stations or CD tracks must be via the little buttons.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:51 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
You can only scroll through the menus. Selection stations or CD tracks must be via the little buttons.
Hmmm. I beg to differ. On my MF wheel, I can change CD tracks but I did not yet try radio stations (but I assume I can change stations too). It's admittedly tricky. First, you need the correct settings in the PCM system screen (actually, now that I think of it, the sport chrono option might be the reason why I can do this - so we may both be correct). Anyway, with sport chrono as an option, you can select how the buttons work on the MF wheel. Even after you make that setting, however, you need to actually get to the audio screen and then to the track selection screen so it is showing on the display. Once you can see all the tracks on the screen, you can change them on the MF wheel. BUT.... if you are not on the audio screen, the little buttons will not work and the number pad must be used.

Think of it this way: The MF up and down buttons correspond to turning the dial that scrolls the selection on the screen - but you must be on that screen first before it works. There is that other button on the MF wheel that cycles through the screens - but again that only works if you set it up this way on the PCM system, which again assumes you can do this regardless of whether you have sport chrono as an option.

Don't blame me - I didn't invent it. I'm only trying to figure out how to use it. When I get back to the car after vacation, I can give you the step by step if you need it.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:06 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
When I get back to the car after vacation, I can give you the step by step if you need it.
On vacation??? What're you doing here then? You're supposed to leave your laptop behind as well as your cellphone when you're in Tahiti, or where ever it is you attorneys can afford to go.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:48 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tahiti? You are joking right? I just bought a Porsche. The new family vacation is loading the truckster for the 2.5 hour drive to Rehobeth Beach, Delaware to play in the muck colored Atlantic Ocean and play $1.00 games on the Boardwalk. (which, actually, was great!!!). I brought the laptop to read up on detailing and order more detailing stuff.

Quick Reply: Question about Mutli-Function Steering Wheel