Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 ride quality on bay area highways?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:36 AM
atao
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 ride quality on bay area highways?

hi,

i've got a 997 non-S on order and have been having some second thoughts about using it as a daily driver around the bay area. i have a long commute from sf to santa clara and take 101/280 depending on traffic. i also do drive in the city.

i was wondering what people's experiences were with the comfort of the ride over these freeways. the highways have lots of cracks/potholes, etc. my current car's a bmw 328ci and i feel like it does pretty well over all the freeways, although i may not want the 911 ride quality to be much worse. when i test drove a 997 a month ago, the ride seemed fairly compliant while handling great, but i was hoping to get more feedback from existing 997 owners.

thanks,
andrew
Old 08-24-2005, 04:50 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak about California roads but here in the midwest (where the roads are damaged by repeated winter freeze/thaw cycles) the 997 seems to be a stiff but not punishing ride. I've also found that the suspension has softened up quite a bit after 6 K miles. Driving it new it seemed much harder than the SL I had been accustomed to but now either the ride has improved or I've just gotten used to a stiffer suspension as a matter of course. It now actually seems more comfortable than the SL.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 911 is a sports car after all.
It's ride quality will be much different than a BMW 328ci. That said, I've driven my car across the US, and have likley been exposed to the best and worst when it comes to road quality, overall the ride quality is great coupled with some of the best seating in the industry.
I've driven stints day after day of 8 - 10 hrs and feel fine after a long days drive.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I've driven a lot around Boston and I think thats one of the more 'punishing' drives around. Infact, most of MA roads are complete ****. That having been said, I'm not sure about where you're at, but I wouldn't consider driving one daily in and out of Boston. Here in Tampa, now THATS a different story. Daily driver.......no brainer. Back in Boston, the roads are so abusive, I found my suspension needing replacement on my Benz @ 40k. But then, I drive fast (as do most in MA) so that might be a contributing factor.

If it's not like Boston, I'd say go for it. Like Mjones said, "its a sports car after all". So it comes with the territory........
Old 08-24-2005, 01:05 PM
vtach88
Advanced

I llive along the corridor that is your commute. However, I have a 997S (PASM, sport chrono) - and have no significant problems on any of the freeways is the Bay Area. In sport mode, it can be a little rough in certain patches, but at baseline, not bad. I also have come from an E46 BMW, and while that car was "rougher" than my previous car, you will notice that the 997 is a bit "rougher" than the E46. However, it handles SO much better, I'm surprised that it isn't worse.
Anyway, don't worry about it. It wil be fine (can't really comment on 997 non-S, though).
Old 08-24-2005, 01:16 PM
stigt
Advanced

Andrew, I also live in the Bay Area and my 2005 997 is my daily driver. As others have said, yes it's stiff but not overly punishing. I did test drive a 997S and thought sport mode on PASM was a bit too much, but at least that can be turned off. Of course it depends a lot on the road too: 101 and 85 seem to be much worse than 280 and 237.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:09 PM
atao
8th Gear

very helpful info everyone. thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 PM
GT3BB
Racer

Picked up my 997S from Rector last night, drove home via 101....no problems.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:41 PM
jonquiljo
Advanced

Bay area freeways are pretty crappy - even 280. A 997 handles them like a dream. I do find that highway patrol have a "thing" for nice cars - so be careful.

The biggest pain-in-the-*** is that SF city cops will ticket you ASAP for lack of a front plate. SF, as you know, is really into red light cameras. Though I live in Marin, it is a question of when I will get the fix-it ticket from a SF cop that makes me get a front license plate put on.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:21 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

I live in SF and know what you mean (not my daily driver, so,......... well,............... lets say so far so good). I absolutely would detest putting on a front plate and want to know if I do get a fix it ticket does that mean i have no choice in the matter or if I pay the fine they will not require an inspection? FYI I keep the front plate inside my car in a plastic folder and display it on my windshield if i park my car. I know that will not fly if a cop pulls me over. I guess these "hidden intersection red light cameras" taking photos will change my luck soon as I have also heard that they are cracking down on this. What a shame, a front license plate does absolutely nothing to enhance the beauty of this car. At least in Europe it is much narrower and less of an eyesore.

I know this is off topic so with regards to the original question about driving a Porsche as a daily driver my answer is absolutely! My 997S (in normal mode) is very comfortable as long as you don't use sport. That can be jarring and actually scary on imperfect roads. My S handles better in regular mode if the road is not perfectly flat because its very easy to get the car airbore in the stiff setting if your not careful around turns. The standard Carrerra with 18's should be very smooth (I never actually test drove one) so I wouldn't hesitate. Get it! Cheers.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Cytoboy
Advanced

On Houston freeways, I have found the shorter wheelbase compared to my previous E46 M3, has some ride quality advantage. While the ride is more sporty and firm, I now do not experience the fore-aft "wobble" that I had in the M3 over each highway segment. My wife, who hated the M3 ride, now does not mind driving across town (30 miles+) in the 997S. Enjoy!!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:32 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're ok on freeway. In the city, you'll be jarring your teeth.

Hope you have a garage for it or plan to get a car cover at least.

Quick Reply: 997 ride quality on bay area highways?