Sponsored by:

Some more pictures of my Atlas

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:24 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fontaines911
...wondering why the 3k expense for the special colors?
Originally Posted by jcnesq
Basically because Porsche can do it!
Well, that's not really the answer, though you might think so if you didn't know the reason behind the pricing differential. Basically, it's due to production setup costs and the operation holding cost of pulling aside the minimum number of cars for a particular special color before running that color, and then purging the system for the next special color run. The price differential has little to do with the material cost of the paint. It has everything to do with manufacturing costs. The reason the "paint to sample" cost is what it is, is because each order is bearing the full brunt of the setup costs ... and Porsche is charging you for it.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Well, that's not really the answer, though you might think so if you didn't know the reason behind the pricing differential. Basically, it's due to production setup costs and the operation holding cost of pulling aside the minimum number of cars for a particular special color before running that color, and then purging the system for the next special color run. The price differential has little to do with the material cost of the paint. It has everything to do with manufacturing costs. The reason the "paint to sample" cost is what it is, is because each order is bearing the full brunt of the setup costs ... and Porsche is charging you for it.
So if GT silver were offered at the same price (or $100-200 more) than Artic silver, would'nt more people order it and it would be just another production color run, thus no need for special production setup costs etc? I'll support the theory that it costs more just because Porsche says it should. I do agree with the reasoning for "paint to sample" though.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
So if GT silver were offered at the same price (or $100-200 more) than Artic silver, would'nt more people order it and it would be just another production color run, thus no need for special production setup costs etc?
Porsche undoubtedly makes this decision based on market analyses, albeit conservative analyses. They clearly don’t want to risk losing money by offering a special color at the price of a regular metallic and not have enough customers ordering it. If they offered GT Silver at the same price as Artic, and not enough customers order GT, they end up losing money (okay, maybe not making as much money as they could potentially make). Sure, they could take that gamble and hope they come out ahead, but apparently they are very risk averse. But that’s what a good marketing department is supposed to help mitigate. Market analysis serves only to predict a buying trend. Actual orders is a direct measurement of that buying trend. Hey, who knows, maybe they’ll offer GT Silver along with Artic Silver, or even replace it, if enough customers are special ordering it. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how a color would get moved down from the special category.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:13 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fontaines911
I just got a 997s in GT Silver ( beautiful ) and am wondering why the 3k expense for the special colors?
Will you please post a pic of your GT Silver? I was at the dealer this weekend admiring the Artic Silver.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "special" $3K Porsche colors have always amazed me. Most of them don't seem special at all.....at least IMO. Funny how Dark Olive Metallic is a special color for the Cayenne at a cost of $495, but on a smaller 997/Boxster its $3k! It definitely can't be the paint cost!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

While I admit the GT silver is great color I can't se EVER paying for that premium. Case in point, my dealer here in Vegas has 2 997's side by side on the showroom floor and 1 is GT silver and one is Arctic Silver. I saw minimal noticable difference but only up close. Not worth it IMHO but this is one of those "I have a rare color" options some like to have.

But, if it was the same price for GT silver as the AS then I would probably choose it over the AS but not at the current premium.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:24 AM
nitmr26
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic looking car. If I were going to order a new 997S, I would definitely order it in Atlas Grey.

I just placed a deposit on an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I like Atlas Grey so much, I may special order that color when I select the options for the car.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:45 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great choice of color!! Love it!

Quick Reply: Some more pictures of my Atlas