Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What waxes/sealants are you using on your black Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts
Default What waxes/sealants are you using on your black Porsche?

Very, very seriously considering black cab . . . and am wondering what detailing products those with black Porsches are using.

When I took delivery of my Arctic Silver, I clayed it, then applied Klasse All in One (AIO), then Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (SG), then topped it off with P21s carnauba. Beautiful, warm shine.

YoungTurk
Old 08-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

Have had many, many black cars. Stopped using wax products on them several years ago. Zaino products keep black finishes looking the best without the telltale "wax haze." Rejex is another similar non-wax product that I've used on my 356 Carrera GT. It's also optically clear, which means more shine.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:21 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zaino doesn't shine but lasts and protects well. I'd put spray on wax or glaze on top of zaino for best results when it really needs to shine.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

If you put a glaze on after you use Zaino, it will take most of the Zaino off. Putting wax over Zaino is like cleaning your glasses and then dipping them in milk.
Zaino is optically clear - unilke all wax products which are loaded with thickeners and softeners. A black car with a couple of coats of Zaino will shine better than any wax job you've ever seen. And you're right, it does last.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Racer48
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking delivery of a brand new basalt black 997 in a few weeks. I am assuming that the dealer will wash and wax the car prior to delivery. If I want to apply Zaino to the car, what steps should I follow? Is it necessary to first remove any wax which was applied by the dealer? If so, what is the best way to remove the wax?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

You should ask your dealer NOT to wax your Basalt Black 997. (I wouldn't let a dealer even WASH my car.) It's a golden opportunity for your very first "swirl marks," because it's highly unlikely the guy waxing your car at a dealership will know anything about proper buffer use, cotton towels, etc.
If your car does come to you pre-waxed, washing it with Dawn dishwashing liquid will strip any wax off quickly and easily. Then you can apply Zaino.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Racer48
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Leader.

Does Zaino require a buffer for application, or can it be applied by hand? For a new car, do I need to apply any other products prior to the Zaino?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had great results with Liquid-tech's synthetic polish and using a combintation of P21S and Maguiar's Gold Class. My last car was black and had 2 years/47k miles on it and people still thought the car just came off the showroom.

I'm particularly interested in trying Zymol's new concourse wax.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

No buffer needed for Zaino. I'm not trying to sell Zaino products, but for a black car, they really are the best choice. Their website is actually pretty informative on what to get and how it's used. Zaino Website
Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Just a couple of more ideas. First you might want to check out what the pros do:

http://www.detailcity.com/

I have a black cab...If you want to remove the old stuff use Dawn. Always clay bar if it has not been done (even on a new car). A lot of pros use Klasse or UBB (I use Klasse sealant). I have tried Zaino, Rejex, Poor Boys and P21S. I like different qualities of each for different parts of car, but last coat is always P21S. Zaino is a hand job (no pun intended). Experiment.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
texas911
Race Car

Zaino for durability. Zymol for shine. NXT in the middle.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

With all due respect, "texas 911," you have two silver P-cars so you can get away with mixing polymer products and traditional waxes. On a black paint job "apples and oranges" (like Zaino with Zymol on it) would be a hazy, visible mess.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

Sorry about that, wasn't clear. I don't mix, I only use one product at a time, but for me Zaino works best because it last a long long time. I used to be a Zymol devotee and still think it produces the deepest shine, but it sure doesn't last long. NXT I've tried, and it shines great but doesn't last as long a Zymol.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If cost is no object, then go for the very best: Pinnacle Souveran Wax. At $70 for a small 8 oz. jar it's one of the priciest around but if you're looking for the ultimate shine on black, this is it. I used it on my Boxster here in the photo after first laying down Klasse AIO followed by Klasse SG. It clearly beats out P21S on black cars. Buy it only if you are a fanatic about getting a show car shine, otherwise don't waste your money.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2005, 10:01 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I am going through the usual frustrations with a black car - after my black RS America, I swore I would never get another black car, but here I am. (Still love black when its clean and perfectly waxed!)

Although I have not tried any of the synthetics, I have widely experimented with various waxes. Recently I stripped the car and used Malms polish and glaze (very fine polish with a touch of wax), applied with my Porter Cable. I then put some Malms liquid wax down, which is pretty good stuff and seems to last longer than some. Over that I have put a number of coats of Pinnacle Sovereign, which definitely makes for a very nice top coat on black cars.

Unfortunately, my car is a daily driver, not a garage queen, so it is a never ending battle trying to keep it waxed and shiny. And I already have more than a few rock chips.

Quick Reply: What waxes/sealants are you using on your black Porsche?