Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:13 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I am curious if you guys drive your cars to client offices. I have always heard two theories:

1. No. I do not. Clients will b!tch about my fees and rates and say I am overpaid. Clients will jaz me to no end about the size of my contract and profit margins. I will never hear the end of it. I therefore drive a daily driver to client offices.

2. Yes. It shows that despite my rates and fees, I am a successful professional and it is not just you that is paying the rate but everyone else also and they dont have a problem with the car. I work hard, play hard, and earn my fee. Therefore, I drive to client offices. It shows I am successful which is why you should continue to retain my services.

I am quite hesitant to drive to client offices because I dont think they need to know I own a $100,000 car and I don't want my employees to know either. On the other hand, I am always the last out of the office and I am ready to say screw it - i dont care if they see me and I am working hard so it 'is what it is'.

I will tell you i am a lawyer but I think this question would apply to consultants, salespeople, managers, etc. Assume for purposes of my question that the client that pays the bills and makes the decisions happens to be outside with co-workers smoking a butt and see you drive up (the "worst case" scenerio).

-Adam
Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Adam - while it's human nature to worry about what other people think about us, you should seriously consider trying to "dial it back" a little. You're a successful lawyer; you make enough money and have enough intelligence to buy an expensive, desireable car. Enjoy it. You're living the "American Dream," and if people around you are bothered by that, it's their problem, not yours.
That doesn't give you a license to be an arrogant *******, but because you obviously do care about what other people think, you're a long way from being one of those. Drive your car. Let your success inspire others...it probably already is.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
texas911
Race Car

Drive it everyday, it won't melt.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I do insurance defense. About 90 percent of my work is defense and I frequently pick up adjusters from air ports and from hotels. My choices are the 996TT, 355 or a Diablo. I have picked up adjusters or clients in everything but the Diablo. I did recently take an expert accident reconstructionists that was a retired California Highway Patrol Officer for a ride in my Diablo. He had a hard time getting in and out, but I think he thought it was a neat experience. My TT was getting a makeover and I had just gotten my Diablo 2 days before. We took about an hour trip and the whole time I was worried about it breaking down because it was like a 106 degrees outside.

I have hit some big class action suits and most of my insurance clients know this. They are more concerned about me doing plaintiffs stuff then the cars I drive. Individual adjusters also don't set the rates and they only care about bottom lines, compliance with guidelines, and setting up proper reserves.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
fast lane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that it depends on your job. Since you are an attorney I think it would be a positive to be seen driving a nice car, I know I would feel more comfortable seeing my attorney driving a porsche than an old beat up car or any other car for that matter, it just shows how successful you are so you must be good at what you do.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

You mean when you got your new cars, you did not have feelings of guilt or 'I dont deserve this'? I must have issues (well, most that know me would agree ). I do need to chill.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I got to say based in the 3 or 4 responses I am ready to unleash her from the garage. I suppose for the most part I never ever in my entire life thought I would EVER own this car.

p.s. the clear side markers arrived from Eric the Plug Guy by UPS today. . Will install tonight to make her street legal.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:04 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I prefer being "low key." I don't particularily like it when people even talk about the cars I have unless they are diehard enthusiasts. It does all depend on the job and your confidence level. If it's better to look successful then obviously yes. For me I keep my sports cars completely separate from my work. Just thought I'd throw this in to confuse you again
Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

I really appreciate this thread and the discussion it has engendered . . . I am a trial lawyer, and an elected official (politician for short). My 911 is part of my persona - its part of the package so to speak. It conveys the message of competence and success.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera (Arctic Silver/Black)
Old 08-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Speed
Pro

I'm also a lawyer but our 997S is our only daily driver so I really have no choice but to use the car when visiting clients. I've never had a negative reaction. I'm 59, I've worked hard and I'm close enough with my clients that they recognize that I've earned it. Recently, however, I had occasion to meet a client in court out in Eastern Long Island and she pulled up in a 996 cabriolet! We both laughed and it gave us more to talk about during the lunch break.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Speed
Recently, however, I had occasion to meet a client in court out in Eastern Long Island and she pulled up in a 996 cabriolet! We both laughed and it gave us more to talk about during the lunch break.
That is PERFECT.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:32 AM
sactogreg
Intermediate

This is an interesting thread... I do a little of both. I drive my car about half the time, but when I do, I usually park it near the end of the parking lot next to another building and take the long walk to our building. Many of my clients are Government workers, so there is already a general disdain for overpaid contractors. It doesn't do any good to rub it in their face; they already make comments if you have a "fancy" (=Rolex) watch... fortunately most don't know what Cartier is.

I think it's going to vary by what you do and who you do it for. My clients don't know/care that I drive home at 2am. They only see that we work in the same building and (they think) I must make at least 80% of my bill rate. If only that were true...
Old 08-11-2005, 04:38 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a personal decision. A relative of mine didn't want his collegues or hospital administration to know how much money he made so he drove a Toyota to work. As for myself I couldn't care less. I drive my Benz or p-car (I don't have anything else to drive anyway).
Old 08-11-2005, 05:07 AM
tooner
Advanced

I’m in Real Estate … So I deal with contracts and fees a LOT… pulling up to a client in a new car has never been a concern because I like my clients to know that I must be doing something right being able to afford a nice car.

It may depend on the client too, their reactions or assumptions, but IMO… it’s better to lay the cards on the table and have them decide for themselves.

Just Drive Baby!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:57 AM
dom4471
Instructor

i never show the clients the car i drive, infact i borrow a ford ka when clients in town, they know i am good at what i do but as we earn more than the individuals that we deal with in the clients office and they have the choice to deal with us or not then think for me best not to but thier backs up by rubbing thier noses in it. also if they think i am hungry for biz they might just give a little more if they think i am already doing well enough they might not be so compelled to do so.

Quick Reply: Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?