Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any PCA members here besides me signed up for a chance to BUY the new Club Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 02:37 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any PCA members here besides me signed up for a chance to BUY the new Club Coupe?

I know everybody would love to win the new Club Coupe being given away to one lucky PCA member. But have any of you signed up for a chance buy one of the 48 available for purchase by PCA mambers?

I just signed up for a chance to buy one and I'll be crushed if I can't. I love the color and the options are exactly what I'd want on a 997. What a cool 911.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

I entered to win the "free" Club Coupe, but did not opt to get on the list to "buy" one - my 06-S is ordered and I'm waiting...gotta have Black. It will be interesting to see if all the Club Coupes actually sell to PCA members. If they don't, Porsche says it will make the remainders available to non-PCA folks, i.e. anybody.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Default Aye, there's the rub...

Originally Posted by Leader
I entered to win the "free" Club Coupe, but did not opt to get on the list to "buy" one - my 06-S is ordered and I'm waiting...gotta have Black. It will be interesting to see if all the Club Coupes actually sell to PCA members. If they don't, Porsche says it will make the remainders available to non-PCA folks, i.e. anybody.
Well, that's kind of what I'm hoping. It would be great if fewer than 48 PCA members enter for a chance to buy one. I'm ready to slap down the cash right now. Heck, I figure most PCA members already have a P-car they love. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My 2003 996 C2 is Arctic Silver and my car before that was also silver. But for some reason the Azurro California color has really caught my fancy. I love the way that car looks. My wife likes it too and says it would be a nice change from my "booring" silver cars. I would also love to have a C2S with the X51 package. 381 HP would be a significant bump from my C2's 321.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Well, that's kind of what I'm hoping. It would be great if fewer than 48 PCA members enter for a chance to buy one. I'm ready to slap down the cash right now. Heck, I figure most PCA members already have a P-car they love. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My 2003 996 C2 is Arctic Silver and my car before that was also silver. But for some reason the Azurro California color has really caught my fancy. I love the way that car looks. My wife likes it too and says it would be a nice change from my "booring" silver cars. I would also love to have a C2S with the X51 package. 381 HP would be a significant bump from my C2's 321.

FWIW - PCNA said that there were over 20 folks that signed the initial paperwork to purchase a CC by the end of the Parade...

Anyway.. It's a nice car, but I'm not buyin' one.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 618 Posts

I think for what you get its a great deal. Look at it like this. Its basicly the same price as a CS with all the options, but you get the X51 package for free. Seems like that plus only 50 of them make it a great car. And I love the color.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:29 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

'color is nicer in person.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes, the limited edition aspect of the car should make it a desirable vehicle to have for years to come. Any time Porsche has produced a special edition car, it's usually been able to hold a good value for a long time.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:38 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It will be intersting to see if all 48 are sold. I woudl hope that they are for the sake of the PCA.

Seems that Porsche decided to do something special for PCA members and that if they are NOT sold Porsche will be less likely to do things for PCA in the future.

Personally I don't have the $$$ to buy a club coupe, but the car's value is interesting.
On the surface it could be seen as an over priced "money making" thing for Porsche. However I am not sure that is fair assessment. However the true "value" of the car will be if things like color and x51 are avalible for general sale. If next year all cars have that color and the 381 hp x51 as options then really how special is a club coupe. Not very.

I does make the purchase of one rather interesting.

PS... The 1988 944 Turbo S was a "Limited Edition" car. 1000 were to be produced in one color/interior combo. It had upgraded brakes, suspension, and 30 more hp than the standard 944 Turbo for 1988. Somewhere along the way the plans changed. 1000 grew to 1600 and cars in various color combo were produced. My Turbo is an example of those. Now that did not kill the value of these cars too much. What did was when all of the "S" upgrades were avalible on the 1989 model year standard 944 Turbo.

For what its worth there were fewer than 1000 "silver rose" and plaid interior turbo S built before they started offering all the standard colors and interiors. Those silver rose cars are worth nothing over a standard color 944 Turbo S or 1989 Turbo. An these "S" car are worth only a little bit more than a standard turbo mostly due to simply the parts. I trully hope one day that that my Turbo S might be consided as valuable limited edition car, but I am NOT holding my breath.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:43 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Stu Z
FWIW - PCNA said that there were over 20 folks that signed the initial paperwork to purchase a CC by the end of the Parade...
But of course there's no obligation to actually buy one even if you sign up for the chance to buy one. So out of that 20 there may only be 15 that actually buy one if given the chance.

I'm kind of wondering what my chances are here. A friend who hates buying new cars (I personally love brand new cars) says I should consider myself lucky if I don't get a shot at one.

Yes, I know, I'm obsessing on this car.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:13 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 618 Posts

The X51 package will be available on all 997s. The only thing that I thought when looking at it, is that for the price, it appears that the X51 packge on the Club coupe is basicly free.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:13 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Good luck to you aerosmith. I only signed up just for the sweepstake
Doesnt really matter if X51 is available for the 997's, what matters is Clup Coupe only 50 made, the color is not available on any 997 very good investment IMO. I hope Jay Leno is not a PCA member, I'll sell it to him for 200K
Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well really now...
If in a year or two the ONLY difference a club coupe has from what you can get off the floor is paint... Then it really won't be worth much.

How many "limited edition" paint scheme cars are worth anything. Even it they are 1 of 50. I might see how the give away car might be somethig special and I can see how it would nice to have a club coupe, but worth more? No I don't reall think so.

Now that does not mean the car is bad deal if the options stack up such that you get the x51 for free. However with the x51 being offered to all I think the long term value of these cars just not there.

However there will always be folks wanting a unique color or something "special" so these cars may see small premium over the standard car.

For example how much more is 40th Aniv 996 worth as compared to the 996 with similar options?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I registered and entered the sweepstakes...
Old 08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
GT3BB
Racer

I think I'll wait till the $100,000 C2S(limited edition) is offered for $90,000 after it sits on the lot for 6 months.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:08 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I signed up to buy and probably will if given a chance. The car is optioned almost exactly the way I would option it if I ordered from the floor. It is far, far cheaper than buying a normal 997S with the same options. The limited edition is merely a "bonus" in my book, but bonus I like. I think that the PCA club coupe is different than many special options because 50 (48 actually) is far, far fewer than most of the so-called "special editions" offered by Porsche. Plus, I like PCA. I like the idea of a "PCA Coupe" I don't want a Turbo. I dont want AWD. The only thing I would miss is the Targa top (which I will miss dearly). I now have a dedicated track car, so this would be used primarily for the street. I could imagine holding on to a car like this for the rest of my life.

That said, I would be far happier winning it in the sweepstakes

Quick Reply: Any PCA members here besides me signed up for a chance to BUY the new Club Coupe?