Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Rev Limiter, ABS Limit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 03:06 AM
Michael1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Chrono Rev Limiter, ABS Limit Questions

OK, I'm still not convinced Sport Chrono is worth it for me. I don't care about lap times. I'm not crazy about how it sits on the dash. If fact, I'm not sure why they put it there, when apparently, there is a more accurate digital readout in the dash. It seems superfluous. I don't care about the change in throttle response. If I get the "S" over the base, I'm fine with just a switch to change the suspension from soft to firm. If I want the limits raised on the stability management, I'm fine with just turning it off.

However, I do have two questions:

I'm not sure why Porsche put a soft limiter on a sports car (maybe to sell more Sport Chronos? - OK, yes, that's sarcastic). Anyway, at what RPM does the soft limiter cut in? I assume the hard limiter (when Sport Chrono is activated) cuts in at 7200 rpm.

I think I saw somewhere that the ABS limits are raised when Sport Chrono is activated. Is that true, and if so, has anyone seen any difference?

It sure seems odd, and irritating, that you have to buy a $920 option to get your car to perform. I think this may be the part of electronics, I don't care for.

Michael
Old 07-31-2005, 06:29 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

The thing you will actually like most is the throttle response, trust me

As to the ABS threshold with Sport Chrono activated, yes its lowered, along with the PSM threshold which is more important IMO because you can notice the difference in PSM activation, specially at lower speeds, it lets you gat away with more before it comes into play to straighten things out.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:44 PM
MMD
Banned

I didn't get it for aesthetic reasons. Messes up the dash lines IMHO. Got a sport button in my M3. The throttle response is all that matters in Sport Chrono if you don't track the car. Anyway my M3 Sport button changes the throttle and I gotta say it's "fun" but not a big deal. Guys will tell you not to drive a P-car that has SC if you decide NOT to get it: you'll be very sorry if you do. They say the same thing about leather interior. I'd say get SC, just for fun, if you don't mind the wart on the dash.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:53 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I got it. I feel the Sport should be standard. If anything, the throttle response is worth it. If you have the PSE, the exhaust tone and throttle response are worth it. You can always disengage the PASM Sport setting and have the throttle response and exhaust.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Racer48
Intermediate

The rev limiter and throttle response changes offered by the SC package have absolutely no effect upon the car's actual performance. Just take a look at the engine torque and horsepower curves, and you will see that you should be shifting well before any rev limiter intervention. Likewise, the throttle response alterations do not increase the power available from the engine. Regardless, the SC option may definitely enhance the "driving experience" for many drivers, and that fact alone may very well make it a worthwhile option for some. Just don't be mislead into thinking that these features will make the car any faster.

Now the PASM, on the other hand, definitely has the potential to allow the car to corner better and thereby decrease lap times in a track environment. I personally have no interest in PASM for street driving, but I can definitely see why any "track junkie" would want it. You will enjoy the car regardless of which options you choose.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Rev Limiter, ABS Limit Questions