Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fake Quad Tips Exposed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:53 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'd scream fake if the one pipe was blocked off.... I like the distinction and don't mind the look.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I am so disappointed...I had no idea that Porsche did the old American exhaust trick.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:29 AM
Michael1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't a total surprise. I never thought they ran two pipes all the way from the muffler (who does anymore). The suprising part is how they sectioned the tips, creating Y-pipe cutouts. Now that's a bit tacky.

Michael
Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 PM
npp
Advanced

what? this somehow doesn't make sense to me -- what happens if you order PSE on a non-S 997? For each side, do you get two pipes from the muffler going to a single chrome tip or do you get dual chrome tips because there are now two pipes going from each muffler to the tips? UGH! I was going to order PSE but am now more confused than ever.
NPP
Old 07-24-2005, 02:49 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by npp
what? this somehow doesn't make sense to me -- what happens if you order PSE on a non-S 997? For each side, do you get two pipes from the muffler going to a single chrome tip or do you get dual chrome tips because there are now two pipes going from each muffler to the tips? UGH! I was going to order PSE but am now more confused than ever.
NPP
here's two versions of the PSE tail pipes. You can see they also have the "Pontiac solution" to quads: a "Y." Craaaaazy!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The top pic doesn't look bad at all. I'd take that any day over the stock tips.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
The top pic doesn't look bad at all. I'd take that any day over the stock tips.
You mean the ones with the bit of mesh inside? Yes they look good from the street. They are from a aftermarket header,muffler exhaust kit. I don't know which. Invisible to pedestrians is the the entire unit, which is moderately polished SS. Niiiiiice.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:16 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSE Exhaust Outlets

To the best of my knowledge there is only one version of the PSE. It has two exhaust outlet pipes from each muffler leading to twin exhaust outlets on each side of the car. The Outer exhaust outlet has a clamping ring to allow adjustment of the position of the exhaust outlet. The Inner exhaust outlet is tied to the Outer exhaust outlet by a chrome plated web. The Outer exhaust outlet is fed by one exhaust pipe that is open all the time. The Inner exhaust outlet is fed by a second exhaust pipe that is open only when the PSE is ON. The valve in the inner exhaust pipe is opened or closed by the change-over valve connected to the vacuum system and controlled by the DME, when the PSE is ON. Removing the vacuum line from the change-over valve, makes the PSE ON full-time, regardless of what the DME or Sport button are doing.

Below is a photo showing the two exhaust outlets for PSE. This is a new car that apparently had seen little time with the PSE ON.
The second photo shows the PSE mufflers with the two exhaust pipes that lead to the twin exhaust outlets. Note the valve in the smaller diameter (inner) exhaust pipe.

I do NOT think this can be construed as a Pontiac-like exhaust "Y".
Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2005, 03:25 PM
MMD
Banned

Thank's Ben, that explains it; I was wrong (again).

I GUESS the one with the crude white arrow in the post ABOVE is from a turbo? The corregated tubing makes it look like PSE.

Here's more; just for fun
Old 07-25-2005, 10:36 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
reminds me of the Dinan Exhaust for the M3. one of the 2 banks of dual exhausts is fake. so in the winter, mist only comes out of one side.
That has got to be the ultimate in poseur exhaust. Ranks right up there with toupees, elevator shoes, falsies, etc.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

Originally Posted by djantlive
Porsche marketing has taken over the design of the tips. Quad looks better but is fake. Oval looks good but it really is just a funnel of the smaller diameter pipe. If you can accept the fact that these are both cosmetic items, you should just pick the one that looks best because that they are for.
well said that man. Porsche had the '4 pipe look' option for the 996 and loads of people bought those, so it could be argued that this is a case of reacting to market demand.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
That has got to be the ultimate in poseur exhaust. Ranks right up there with toupees, elevator shoes, falsies, etc.
Yeah, I "hate" that my M3 has quads. At first I thought it looked cool; now I see it as unnecessary overstatement. There's no practical way to change that. On the stock exhaust all 4 pipes ARE functional, BTW. (you can stick a dowel waaaaaaay into all four of them).
Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 PM
npp
Advanced

Great -- thanks guys for sorting this all out. Clearly the sport exhaust option is the real deal and not some "Y" solution cop-out. If it sounds as good as everyone says it does then I'm gonna go for it.
NPP
Old 07-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ronnie
well said that man. Porsche had the '4 pipe look' option for the 996 and loads of people bought those, so it could be argued that this is a case of reacting to market demand.
I hate the fake 4-pipe look on my otherwise sexy 996 c4S , I got a great deal on the car sitting on the dealers lot specked-out to my likes except the quad pipes. I cannot wait to get rid of that damn thing, I absolutely despise it. I have no idea why the dealer specd it that way, I guess it was popular. I am dissappointed with porsche for making such a fake thing as one of the salient features seperating the S model, what a shame
Old 07-25-2005, 10:42 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by jeeva
I hate the fake 4-pipe look on my otherwise sexy 996 c4S ,
The only way out for us quad haters is Ebay for non-S oval tail pieces.

I'm hoping to almighty God that I don't start looking at the Ebay-purchased-for-a-dime ovals and obsessing on the fact that they area really needless funnels just filling a stupid-looking oblong notch on the rear bumper.

Quick Reply: The Fake Quad Tips Exposed