PSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
tooner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking PSE

HELLO ALL! 1st Post - Newbie

I’ve had mine for about two weeks now and I was wondering if the cut off switch had any other effect on the car besides the sound.

For example:

Low Rev cutoff - does this maintain the stock torque numbers? Since the PSE is switch off backpressure is retained

Gas Mileage? – Any changes noticed. Mine has been the same.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:19 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Well Tooner Congratulations on your first post here on "the other side" of the Renn boards! Hang around its a great place too. Hope your vacation went well and your rested. Now to answer your question.....I don't know. Ciao and come back again. Seriously guys this man knows his P cars so we welcome you aboard and invite you to stay for awhile. Well, my PSE was installed without the vacume hook-ups or wires so it was just a bolt on = on all the time. So sorry i can't help you but have you noticed Tooner that the loudness has tamed down a bit after a few weeks. I may be just used to it but it sounded more radical when I first drove it right after install. Best upgrade IMHO by the way. Cheers.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:28 PM
tooner
Advanced

Thanks!

Have you noticed less torque because its always on?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:35 PM
DougNY
Intermediate

I actually have three questions about PSE I hope someone can answer:

1) Do you really have to have an S? I mean, it won't work on a C2 at all? Won't fit?

2) Does it matter whether you have Tip or not in getting the PSE installed?

3) Are there any issues with button placement when having the dealer add it?

4) Does anyone have before and after sound clips they could post or email?

Figured this was as good as thread on this subject as any.

-D
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tooner I really don't notice any difference one way or another (compared to stock) except for the sound. I guess after awhile you get used to PSE and it almost seems that the sound has smoothed out since it was installed over a month ago. Has anyone else felt this way or is it just my imagination? I was under the impression that it would get louder (deeper) with time. At first I thought that it was too loud! I wonder if the flaps are all the way open as mine was just bolted on by the dealer with no switch installed (that's the way I plan to keep it) unless Tooner is on to something? Total cost including install was $2300.00. The only thing that affects power in this car is crappy premium gas (looking for 93 octance premium in SF BAY Area, anyone know)? My dealer told me that 91 octane thats been "sitting" at a fuel station for long periods will degrade and I should only buy 91 octane from a station that turns it over quickly. Its funny how we get used to "horsepower" and "exhaust tones" and always want more......human nature.

DougNY, as far as I know PSE will fit on any 997 and I can't see why the triptronic would be a factor but someone else with triptronic and PSE can jump in to answer that. Go to the rennteam board for some sound clips. Carlos from Spain has some nice comparisons.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:12 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't think there is any difference between 997 and 997S nor with manual v tip.

I've only had PSE on for about two weeks and I haven't noticed any real change yet. With my prior 996, I remember it sounds insanely loud (almost like no muffler) when I drove away after the install, and it did seem to mellow out after a while.

I agree, best mod there is - luvin it every day. (I did not install the switch.)
Old 07-21-2005, 11:32 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DougNY
I actually have three questions about PSE I hope someone can answer:

1) Do you really have to have an S? I mean, it won't work on a C2 at all? Won't fit?PSE will also work on 997 by design

2) Does it matter whether you have Tip or not in getting the PSE installed?Should make no difference

3) Are there any issues with button placement when having the dealer add it?[B]If you have Sport Chrono, no additonal button is required. If you do NOT have Sport Chrono an additional button is required. The enture row of buttons below the Climate Control System Controls is replaced with the appropriate button module depending upon if you have PASM or not.[B]

4) Does anyone have before and after sound clips they could post or email?As previously posted by others, go to Rennteam.com and look for sound clips posted by Carlos and others.

Figured this was as good as thread on this subject as any.

-D
Hope this helps you out.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Will a 996 sport exhaust fit a 997 Carrera? The engine is the same on the 997 carrera as on 996 - isn't it?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:11 AM
DougNY
Intermediate

DD694,

Thank you for the reponse. Very clear. I did ask if it would fit a C2, so you know, because on the porsche site when you click oin the PSE options, it says it is for the S only.

Doug
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riz
Will a 996 sport exhaust fit a 997 Carrera? The engine is the same on the 997 carrera as on 996 - isn't it?
No!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:51 AM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Will the stock S tips fit on the PSE? I kind of like the stainless steel looking stock tips on a Black car
Old 07-22-2005, 01:21 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamG
Will the stock S tips fit on the PSE? I kind of like the stainless steel looking stock tips on a Black car
I'm virtually certain they will, though I got the PSE chrome dual tips when I added PSE. Hope they are easier to keep clean, because my stainless tips were looking very sorry. EDIT - SEE BELOW, I THINK THE ANSWER IS NO!

Last edited by jcnesq; 07-23-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:39 AM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

I had my PSE installed on Monday along with the short shifter. Wow, did it change the feel of driviing my 997S! The PSE is the best option by far.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:04 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamG
I think not.
The PSE has two exhaust outlet pipes from each muffler. Each pipe goes to one of the two outlets of the new chrome tip supplied with the PSE. The stock S exhaust tips only allow for ONE exhaust pipe from the muffler.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:18 PM
tooner
Advanced

Originally Posted by gradyex
Tooner I really don't notice any difference one way or another (compared to stock) except for the sound. I guess after awhile you get used to PSE and it almost seems that the sound has smoothed out since it was installed over a month ago.

i Agree Gradyex...

The rumble still gets me going though I cant seem to have enough of that.

I did speak to a gearhead at my dealers and said he has not found documents to support this claim about the torque. here how he said it..

PSE of at low revs - Maintains stock torque since the flaps close up and creates the same or More [not sure] back pressue.

PSE High Revs - well we already know what that does!

Quick Reply: PSE