Sponsored by:

PSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Alan
Carlos, it seem like your PSE exhaust tips are angled slightly off-center. See my picture for reference. I.e., the inner tips are higher than the outer tips on yours.
I think its they way they install it at the factory since my was a factory installed PSE, look at this other factory installed, same thing.
I like that effect, it makes the tips follow and blend with the "arch" the bottom bumper has, and the top of the tips are equidistant to the cut-out border of the bumper since the inner pipe is smaller diameter than the normal "S" inner pipe. But there is very small diffefence anyway, good eye, Alan.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2005, 02:36 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamG
After talking to several Porsche parts depts. today, it seems that the PSE kit comes with the chrome tips, and the going discounted price is $1804. plus the switch and installation. Only problem is so far only Braman Porsche has a set in stock and they have them on Ebay for $2400. I'll order a set and wait 4 weeks for $600. I've been quoted $900 by a N. CA dealer to install the exhaust and wire up the switch. Seems the wiring part is fairly complicated or time consuming. Do you think it's worth the extra labor expense ($400-500) to have the system hooked up to a switch?
The switch is only necessary if you do NOT have Sport Chrono. There are two different switches - one for cars WITHOUT Sport Chrono, but WITH PASM and one for cars WITHOUT Sport Chrono and WITHOUT PASM. The reason is because the "switch" actually is a replacment switch module that encompasses the entire switch bar installed below the climate control system controls.

The wiring is to the DME in all cases and to the switch if NO Sport Chrono is present.

If you want PSE ON full-time, installing just the mufflers will do. I opted to have the complete installation on my 997S with Sport Chrono. I mistakenly oredred a switch, which I was able to return. The installation instructions are not as clear as they might be regarding the switch issue. In one place it appears that a switch is required for cars with Sport Chrono. In another place it states that the switch is only for cars without Sport Chrono, which is in fact the case.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:47 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the replies Jim and Bill. It was my understanding that the switch was not necessary if you have sport chrono, but it seems most Porsche parts dept personnel (that I have spoken to) are confused. I don't think I'm going to have mine hooked up to the switch, it looks like the mod to keep the system on all the time is simply removing a small hose, so if I want it quiet again, simply plug the hose back in, does that sound right?
Sam
Old 07-23-2005, 10:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Sam: IF you have the electronics installed (no "switch" necessary if you have Sport Chrono, but it still needs to be wired up to the DME), then the electronics tell the vacuum lines when to open / close the valve in the muffler. The PSE default (no electronics / no vacuum hoses) is wide open (loud), i.e. I guess vacuum pressure when activated closes a valve, making the muffler quieter. So if you don't do the electronics (wire it up to the DME w/Sport Chrono or to a switch w/o Sport Chrono), there would be no reason to even bother installing the vacuum lines.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:19 PM
tooner
Advanced

What Happens to sport the button if you have the chrono option?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

i have PSE on a non-s 997. I have a sport chrono and the PSE is currently wired into the "sport" button. my dealer has a new switch panel that has a picture of exhaust tips on it. I think i'm going to install it install so i can turn the PSE on and off independant of the sport button. I'm curious has anyone else installed both switches?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcnesq
When I was purchasing the PSE, my dealer quoted something like $2,031 as list price, but they did not have any in stock. Brandywine's price was $1,800, but they had no stock; I asked about the tips and they said they were not included. So I bought from Braman for $2,450, thinking that I was also paying for overpriced tips. However, now that I am sorting this out, it is becoming very clear to me that the tips have to be included with the system because the stock tips wouldn't work. If that's true, then I got totally ripped off by Braman, charging me far more than list price. To boot, Braman shipped them UPS poorly packed, and when my dealer received them (I had them shipped to my dealer for convenience) both mufflers had several dents in the cans - not enough to affect function but annoying, and Braman told me I would have to make a claim against UPS. I think I am starting to get pissed off!
Braman sounds like a real class act . First off, the person receiving the merchandise is not the one who puts in the claim for shipping damage. It's the shipper. Second, UPS could disallow the claim, because it was not packed properly. If you purchased these mufflers with a credit card, I would put a charge dispute in immediately with your credit card company, based on Braman's failure to followup on the UPS damage claim. That will put the screws to them to do the right thing.

Michael
Old 07-24-2005, 08:53 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today with the weather being nice here in the SF Bay Area, I took my 997S coupe out and really listened carefully to the PSE my dealer installed a month ago. Earlier I stated that I thought it mellowed out and this is true to a degree but with the sunroof wide open and windows rolled down its still there! I just got used to it so all you cabs out there you should benefit the most adding this option. In the coupe with everything closed the sound is deadened as expected. I'll still keep my coupe though, I just wanted to update my earlier comments stating that its much more mellow now. "Much" is incorrect, "slightly" would be a better term. If your thinking of PSE and have the spare $$$, go for it! Best option IMHO. Adds dimention to the overall Pcar driving experience. If you own a coupe, there is no need to hook up any wiring, just bolt the thing on. If there is truth to the back pressure theory or you feel its too loud you can always route the wires and switches later. Cheers.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put my 997 PSE up on ebay if anyone is interested. I loved it on my car, especially after I pulled the hose so that it would stay on all the time.

Quick Reply: PSE