Sponsored by:

Supercharged Carrera S 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Findas
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged Carrera S 997

What is your opinion on Supercharging a Carrera S 997(either RUF or EvoMS).Is it safe for the engine?Has anyone installed a kit like that?Adding 150 H.P. is really tempting but i do have second thoughts regarding the drivability and the safety of the engine.....Thanks anyway!!!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:47 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

The latest Excellence magazine has an article on the EvoMS supercharged 997.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

it would be a blast to drive the article in excellence was a good article. low pressure in compaison to turbo charging.... I wonder how much different the interior of the motor and trans axels etc are from the true turbo porsche....

It is expensive 13,000. +/- then figure another 30,000. for everything Porsche wont cover WHEN something does go wrong because of warranty issues
Old 07-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Lotus350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Findas
What is your opinion on Supercharging a Carrera S 997(either RUF or EvoMS).Is it safe for the engine?....Thanks anyway!!!!!
For my past experience of turbo cars, as long as the boost is not turned up too much (say 5 to 7 psi max), it would be SAFE for the engine. HOWEVER, it does not mean other bits of the car will hold up as well. I will make this very general statement though. That is, it should be safe for the engine (should not blow up on you), but it WILL make the car less reliable when compared to a stock car. More power = more stress on all other components like clutch, tranny, suspension, brakes, and more HEAT in the engine and exhaust system to name a few.

Would I do it? NO, mainly because of resale/depreciation and reliability issue. Further, if I want that kind of power, do it right by buying a Porsche TT. Just my 2cents.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What reliability problems? Why would brakes have more stress? Coolant and oil temps are the same as a stock engine. You are destroying your engine alot faster using 0W-40 oil in hot climates than you do with a a properly installed SC system. I will make this a general statement: I assume you have no experience with supercharged engines.

If you want an investment that had no depreciation, buy a Treasury.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Here is a simple way of thinking about what the effects of supercharging are. Consider a naturally aspirated engine as one that only goes to half throttle. Think of the supercharged engine as one that will go to full throttle. All of the things which occur to your engine and drivetrain when going from half throttle to full throttle, occur with the supercharged engine. That includes coolant load, octane requirements, engine life, mechanical stress, exhaust flow, etc.

Aftermarket supercharger manufacturers are able to get away without much consideration of these factors, because they figure people only use the boosted mode for short bursts.

Michael
Old 07-14-2005, 02:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Aftermarket supercharger manufacturers are able to get away without much consideration of these factors, because they figure people only use the boosted mode for short bursts.

This is true for all street driven forced induction systems. There is minimal use of boost in Turbos and SC's. Your NA engine would be destroyed also if you ran at or near redline all day long. An engine cannot withstand either constant boost or redline for long.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
SpeedRacer27
Track Day

My thoughts are this;
1st in all the articles I have ever read about Ruf they do tremendous testing of all their upgrades in power, so as to make it as dependable as the stock Porsche.
2nd, Ruf I believe does offer a warranty as they are considered a manufacture not an after market company.
3rd, Porsche does such testing of it's cars and they put the cars through a lot more abuse then we will ever do to our cars.

I have had the pleasure of driving a Ruf turbo and it was amazing(older turbo). I guess it would depend for me what I wanted and want you get for the money. What Ruf does to 911 Turbos is amazing and I am not sure I would want to do that to my Turbo but it is nice to know you can.

Regards,
Old 07-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Michael1
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911

This is true for all street driven forced induction systems. There is minimal use of boost in Turbos and SC's. Your NA engine would be destroyed also if you ran at or near redline all day long. An engine cannot withstand either constant boost or redline for long.
The difference is a factory supercharged engine will have a longer life at full throttle than the one in which a supercharger was just bolted on to a natural aspirated engine. Porsche and all car manufacturers run dynomometer and durability road tests, with engine and other drivetrain components being upgraded to accomodate the additional power, and pass the tests. These upgrades can be anything from pistons, valves, piston oil cooling, exhaust manifolds, transmission, differential, axles, etc. If you just bolt an aftermarket supercharger on a naturally aspirated engine, you will have none of those upgrades. You certainly can't expect it to last as long as a factory system. In fact, many aftermarket supercharger manufacturers have NEVER run a durability engine test. They don't have their own test tracks either. You take your chances.

Michael
Old 07-16-2005, 03:14 AM
Lotus350
Advanced

[QUOTE=1999Porsche911]What reliability problems? Why would brakes have more stress? Coolant and oil temps are the same as a stock engine. You are destroying your engine alot faster using 0W-40 oil in hot climates than you do with a a properly installed SC system. I will make this a general statement: I assume you have no experience with supercharged engines.

QUOTE]

Did I rub you the wrong way here my friend? What ever you say....I am not even going to discuss this with you on this subject. If you think I don't know my stuff, that's OK too. I don't need to proof anything to you. However, based on your response, I think it is YOU that don't understand how all this stuff works.

I would advise you to ease off on your words when you don't know what you are talking about or who you are talking to.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:40 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forced induction doesn't have to necessarily mean reduced engine life... provide it is tuned properly AND you pay a bit more attention to routine maintenance.

To 1999Porsche911's defense, he is probably just tired of the blanket statements that routinely get thrown out on this forum day after day about people worrying about the effects of supercharging... keep it friendly guys...
Old 07-17-2005, 12:56 AM
BD997
Racer

bye bye factory warranty
Old 07-17-2005, 02:18 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Just Do It! If you got the money to blow then blow it and any other damn Porsche off the road at the same time! (CGT exempt...)

ITs only money!
Old 07-17-2005, 08:40 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought the article was a negative statement. The added power comes only high in the rev range, and Excellence could not come close to duplicating the claimed hp on their own dyno test. The answer from the builder is that the engine needed to rev yet higher, perhaps over factory redline.
99/911 aside, I think it is a poorly considered option. Power developed high in the rev range isn't really important on the street.
Losing your warranty is.
Spending money on something with no resale value is a waste. Just wait and buy a turbo, if you want more power.
The only 996 I saw with an SC did have problems at the track. I was told the owner did have one trouble-free year.
You need to live near the installer, just in case it doesn't work properly forever. Who is going to solve a future dirvability issue for you? If you believe 99/911 it never happens. He must pray to the right god.
If you could get all that Hp with no longevity and reliablility issues, why does Porsche go thru all the trouble of using a different block, and innumerable engineering hours and dollars? They are stupid, right? A little shop in the middle of elsewhere is much smarter, right?
Sorry if I sound biased. Buying what you want is pretty effective. Trying to make something else into it is a tough proposition, unless you have a technician on retainer. AS
Old 07-18-2005, 12:23 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

[QUOTE=Lotus350]
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
What reliability problems? Why would brakes have more stress? Coolant and oil temps are the same as a stock engine. You are destroying your engine alot faster using 0W-40 oil in hot climates than you do with a a properly installed SC system. I will make this a general statement: I assume you have no experience with supercharged engines.

QUOTE]

Did I rub you the wrong way here my friend? What ever you say....I am not even going to discuss this with you on this subject. If you think I don't know my stuff, that's OK too. I don't need to proof anything to you. However, based on your response, I think it is YOU that don't understand how all this stuff works.

I would advise you to ease off on your words when you don't know what you are talking about or who you are talking to.

Stop by sometime and I'll show you that my SC'd 996 is running coolant temps that are more than 5% less than a stock 996 at all speeds and conditions. Also, you never responded on how the brakes are negatively effected by a supercharger.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Carrera S 997