Sponsored by:

Rev-Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005 | 06:28 PM
Elfer04
Track Day

Default Rev-Limiter?

Was hoping from some knowledge from you guys -

A couple of days ago, I was coming out of a corner and floored the accelerator, and it got stuck to the floor. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised at the car seemingly accelerating by itself, and put it into neutral before shutting off the ignition and coasting to the shoulder. I re-started the car, and it immediately starting revving again, at which point I again turned off the ignition and discovered that the pedal was stuck.

In all, I'd say my car was in neutral with the accelarator stuck to the floor for about 5-10 seconds. During that time, of course it was revving like crazy, and I think the needle was past redline, near 8000 rpm. I was pretty concerned about permanent damage to the engine, but my dealer just told me that if I didn't notice any problems in the engine or its performance, then to leave it alone.

I know that the 997 has a built-in rev limiter, but I believe that the limiter only works when the car is in gear? I asked my dealer if the limiter worked when the car was in neutral, and of course they don't know.

Does anyone know whether or not the limiter works only when the car is in gear? Should I be worried about damage to my engine? I've driven it about 100 miles since then, and haven't noticed any change in the engine, but I'm obviously concerned....

Thanks.

btw, anyone know how to change your ID info so it reflects rennlist membership? I joined about a month ago and still can't figure it out...
Old 07-07-2005 | 07:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure that the limiter works in neutral, but it's probably not fast enough to prevent a bit of over-revving without any load on the motor. I would make sure you get the fact that the pedal "stuck" documented (get a receipt) at the dealer, so that you won't have any difficulty in the future. If you eventually notice a problem with the motor, they won't be able to refuse warranty service due to driver abuse then.

BTW, there is a tool that counts the number of over-revs by downloading the computer data. You want to be able to provide an explanation to Porsche or a future buyer...
Old 07-07-2005 | 07:33 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Fuel is cut off at the limit whether you are in gear or not.
Old 07-07-2005 | 11:46 PM
Elfer04
Track Day

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2005 | 01:15 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Elfer04
Was hoping from some knowledge from you guys -

... btw, anyone know how to change your ID info so it reflects rennlist membership? I joined about a month ago and still can't figure it out...
Contact one of the admin guys/gals. They change the ID info below your name/

Quick Reply: Rev-Limiter?