Sponsored by:

Street Racing - Need shifting advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 12:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

"you hypocritical old nagging farts... some people do buy a porsche for performance (which they are supposed to be made for)... why don't you "street racer whiners" trade your porsches in for boats and you can all sit at the dock in them and talk about how dangerous the water is, or you can tell people you have a fast boat, it says so in the magazine."
_________
one can NEVER experience the performance of a p car on street. if you are interested in straight line speed, you got the wrong car. lightly modded mustant, supra turbo, GTR, corvette can smoke just about any porsche without breathing hard.

the performance, reliability, braking power, grip etc of a porsche can only be seen on a race track. and once you put enough mile on the track, you will not have any interest to speed on street.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Michael1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
"you hypocritical old nagging farts... some people do buy a porsche for performance (which they are supposed to be made for)... why don't you "street racer whiners" trade your porsches in for boats and you can all sit at the dock in them and talk about how dangerous the water is, or you can tell people you have a fast boat, it says so in the magazine."
_________
one can NEVER experience the performance of a p car on street. if you are interested in straight line speed, you got the wrong car. lightly modded mustant, supra turbo, GTR, corvette can smoke just about any porsche without breathing hard.

the performance, reliability, braking power, grip etc of a porsche can only be seen on a race track. and once you put enough mile on the track, you will not have any interest to speed on street.
I agree with you. The track is the only place to see what racing is really like. I took some kart lessons, and suddenly "fast" just wasn't fast enough. Every fraction of a second counted. Every little mistake translated into losing time. It was like walking in quck sand. You wanted to go faster but just couldn't, at least not without analyzing every driving move, every corner line. You had to work at it, to get the pay off.

Street racing is nothing like that. It really doesn't take any skill, nor is there much skill out there. It doesn't prove who's car is faster either. The first poster proves that. He doesn't know what gear to use. Most people street racing don't. I use to beat people all the time with a less powerful car, because they never had it in the right gear!

I use to race out on Woodward Ave. in Detroit on Friday and Saturday nights. It wasn't all that dangerous, because we never got up the speeds they do now. We maybe got up to 60 or 70 at the most in a 45 zone surging ahead of traffic. No one was on the wrong side of the road, and it was just stop light to stop light, usually with a rolling start. I never even saw an accident, nor heard of one, let alone a fatality. The police never enforced it, until later. I'm not going to be hypocritical and say "don't do what we did", but I dont' think anyone does that type of street racing anymore. Now guys are doing way over a 100, running lights, running off the road, and passing slower cars sometimes with triple digit closing speeds. I'm sorry, but this is just asking for trouble.

Michael
Old 07-07-2005, 09:13 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

well first of all you NEED lots of Nitrous oxcide try it out on empty parking lot.... dump the clutch from 5th to 2nd slam the nitrous button that should take care of it all!!!!!! in one shot...

i am embarassed that i even opened this thread up.... it didnt even justify a response....

TRACK IT ....leave all bs in the pits!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always telling to see people posit behaviour that underscores their comprehensive lack of maturity.

Street racing is an oxymoron. A one way ticket to a world of hurt...

If you want to exercise a Porsche track it. Find it tough at first? Welcome to a wondeful learning curve.

This thread needs to be closed.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrong forum to ask this question on, half of these guys break their hips trying to squirm their jiggling old bodies into their porsche for a trip to the pharmacy and back.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:40 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

This question could have been asked a little differently if you were truly looking for some constructive replys i.e. what's the best way to gain fast acceleration for passing etc.? Street racing is taboo and against the law. If you were just trolling then mission accomplished.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:24 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Blip the throttle to keep the rpms up and drop it into third. Punch it. If you're pulling on him, you'll win, if he's pulling on you you'll lose. Let off before you get out of 3rd, it'll give you an idea of how your power compares and keep you relatively safe. The track is 10 times more fun and you can battle all day long against M3s and not have to worry about tickets and stuff.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! I never knew there were so many Porsche owners that never endangered anyone on the street because they always stay at or below the speed limit. No need for a rev limiter for you guys after 1st gear. The point is: an ******* at the track is as dangerous to others as one on the roads. There is no one on this board that can claim they have never participated in spirited driving on the street. We all take caluclated risks, and the smart ones do so when innocent people are not arround.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

You're mixing two points here.

I choose to race on the track and understand the consequences of doing so, and usually sign a piece of paper to say I agree. On the street if an ******* or two choose to race they have not asked every other driver to abide by their set of rules and conditions, and those other drivers do not understand or agree to the consequences of what might happen.

It begs the obvious question though as to why anyone feels the need to race on the street when there's usually a track not that far away.

There will always be ******** but they're much easier to deal with on the track where the guy can be black-flagged before he causes too much damage. That's a private affair and a different set of self-policed rules apply.

As to knowingly endangering people on the street, most drivers would want to avoid that if at all possible. Or maybe you see that differently from the rest of us...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

yes, i would say that MOST porsche owners at one time or another in their life time sped like a bat out of hell on public streets with absolutely no regard to speed limit. i know i did... tix, who cares, i got enough of those to wall paper my entire house. but some of us eventually figure it out why street racing is bad. do i drive over speed limit? hell yes. i am almost always 10mph above fwy speed limit. but do i do tirple digit runs anymore, no....

le chef is absolutely right. track driving is by no means safe. i have totaled a car at willow springs and so have many seasoned track drivers/racers. however, when you are on track you are more aware of your surrounding and MOST track drivers are more aware as well. you have corner workers and ambulance nearby. USUALLY there's no opposing traffic and you don't have to spend 50% of the time looking at the rear view mirror to spot cops and you are usually very aware of the condition of your car.... none of these can be said of street racing. i much rather hit a tire wall at laguna seca then to drive off a secluded cliff when no one will know i am dead for days or t-bone some innocent drivers at an intersection.

it's not that porsche owners are old, many of us are not more than a few ticks over 30. it's just that we know where to fix our "need for speed".
Old 07-08-2005, 12:53 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
There is no one on this board that can claim they have never participated in spirited driving on the street. We all take caluclated risks, and the smart ones do so when innocent people are not arround.

Yeah, good points! I should have gotten about five tickets today, by normal standards.

The thing about street racing which is very dangerous is that your own internal guidance system is shut off. When two guys are trying to outdo eachother they will probably go much much farther in taking more chances and greater risks than if they were each alone.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:35 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last week (here in socal) an 18yr old girl hit three pedestrians while racing another, of course the other car fled the scene. really sad incident.

spirited driving is one thing... one on one racing on busy city roads is another. too many uncontrolables for me. my $000.02.

learn to push the limits on the track (de's are great for avoiding jail & hittin' triple digits)... as said here before... the best mod you can make is to the nut behind the wheel.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:50 AM
AndrewSS
Advanced

this is a very funny thread just look at the title
Old 07-09-2005, 01:57 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it is.
oh... reminds me. forgot to answer the orig. question too.

shift just before you hit the rev limiter.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:36 AM
02Mcoupe
4th Gear

On the track, how would both cars do against each other?

Quick Reply: Street Racing - Need shifting advice