Sponsored by:

Newbie buyin' a 997s - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
npp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie buyin' a 997s - HELP

Wow do I need help! I'm finally ordering my first P-car after 15 years of wanting and wishing. I've settled on the 997s coupe, but I'm having real difficulties with selecting options -- what are the "must haves"? I don't want to blow the opportunity to do it right from the start. Any and all tips and advice would be helpful regarding options as well as things to look out for,avoid, etc.
THANKS!!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:37 PM
GT3BB
Racer

I think it is going to depend on whether you are performance first, luxury first, or gagets first?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
npp
Advanced

Arrow

It's gonna be a daily driver --- so luxury first. Can't go overboard on the options due to price constraints. The "standard" performance of the 997s is plenty good enough for me. Sound reasonable?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:46 PM
jackmicro@hotmail.com
8th Gear

except all the essentials that you think you need, i am suggesting chrono sport package, it helps your S to kick in faster and selective ride styles. I don't like the standard wheel, the 390 more classic rim is what i picked, easy to clean too, if you do that yourself. Bose sound for sure, nav if you use it, clear side mark is a must have (install it afterward).
Old 06-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Luxury option: Power Seat Package - the lumbar adjustment is sublime.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:25 PM
kkhanna
6th Gear

Here is what I ordered on my "S"..and it is perfect, I think:
1. All Leather interior in Terracotta (perfect..but for $4500 a bit luxurious)
2. All Porsche crests, on wheels as well as on seats
3. Radio antenna..its free and makes your car unique (almost 99% of preordered cars come without)
4. Chrono package..can't go wrong for $1000
5. Bose
6. Nav (could bypass it, but it is a really cool nav system)
7. All leather multi func. steering wheel ( a last minute impulsive buy)
8. Heated Seats

Here is what I didn't get:
1. Electronic seat adjusment: who needs it only adds more weight
2. Rear wiper (on second thoughts should've got it)
Old 06-29-2005, 08:31 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must Haves:
Bose.
Chrono.
Thicker Wheel.

Luxury:
Electric Seats.
Nav.

Ultra Luxury.
All leather.
Sport Seats.
SSK.
PSE.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

You say daily driver, but are you going to run DE's, Autocross, or do anything besides regular street use?

If you won't ever leave the street then skip Sport Chrono and use the money elsewhere. Also, the Sport seats (weather adaptive or standard) aren't necessary in my opinion, go with full power/full leather. BUT, if you intend on actually USING the car get Sports Chrono and Sport Seats at the least, then add the other amenities as you approach your budget limit. The PASM part of SC alone is worth it on the track IMHO, but it does add a few other things also.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually if you don't track your car, I'd still get the chrono because at its softest level, its softer than the non chrono 997. But with the sport button its stiffer than the standard 997. Best of both worlds.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Texas - why do you think that a Carerra S without SC would be any different than a Carerra S with SC if the PASM was off (in standard mode)?? Same springs, same height, same valving AFAIK. Not that I am doubting you, just never heard anything like that before.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 167 Posts

I placed my order on Monday for a 997S, Black/black. I plan to drive mine in a variety of ways so, I ordered it with the following equipment.

Sports Chrono Pkg
Sport Shifter
Power Seat Pkg
Heated Seats
Bose
Navigation
Sport Design Wheels
Wheel Caps w/Color Crests
Self-Dimming Mirrors
Instrument dials in black

October build date - probable December delivery. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I personally would get the Sport seats for their better support during maneuvers, but tastes vary. Sit in both types, see what you think. I love my seats, work great on the track too!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Speed
Pro

Adaptive sport seats, self-dimming mirrors; Bose; Sport Chrono; multi-function steering wheel (very useful for operating phone and radio without taking hands off the wheel).
Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all congratulations. I can assure you the wait has been worth it. If your car is a daily driver, and you do not intend to track it, then don't bother with Sport Chrono. If you like touring then the navigation is probably worth it. If you do mostly local driving then don't bother with nav. Power seats are great because they have lumbar and a memory setting. If you THINK you might want the sports seats go for an extended drive in them before you decide. I tried them, wanted them, but they're too narrow around my shoulders, so I passed. Bose is better than the standard stereo, and unless someone comes along with a REAL iPod link you might consider the 6 CD changer. Self dimming mirrors are also great if you drive where you have lots of trucks or sport utes. Leather...it's really nice but it's not cheap. Sit in cars at the dealer with and without leather (either full or seats only) and then decide. I prefer the Carrera classic wheels as they are simpler, and IMHO more elegant, but there's nothing wrong with the standard wheels. It shouldn't be complicated...but everyone here has an opinion and wants you to get the best you can get. The process is half the fun of it - enjoy it all.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

think 10 %. there is little in the world where an extra 10% makes a big difference.
spend another 9 K and really trick the car out.
as for the free antenna, take a wide pass
perry

Quick Reply: Newbie buyin' a 997s - HELP