Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie buyin' a 997s - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Maryle8802
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a "clear side mark" to be installed after market?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:09 AM
npp
Advanced

Great information -- Thanks for the feedback everyone. It always helps to know if people are truly happy with their selections -- buyer's remorse on a 90K-100K vehicle sucks. I think I'll spend some time at the dealer sitting in cars with different features to get a better handle on the interior refinements.
Anyone have a good experience with a dealer in AZ/southern CA? I'm looking for a dealer I can trust. Since there is only one dealer in Scottsdale/Phoenix, I've been told they have the "only game in town" attitude which for $40K is accepatable but for $98K is NOT.
NPP
Old 06-30-2005, 03:16 AM
npp
Advanced

Post side mark

Maryle --
the side mark is the blinker on the front quarter panel near the front of the door that in US cars is amber colored with an amber bulb. clear side marks are available over the internet or through the dealer and give a much "cleaner" less flashy appearance. To meet US specs, however, it is my understanding that the bulb must remain amber but the housing (side mark) can be clear.
There's another thread dealing with this if you need more info.
NPP
Old 06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Be a man: don't get Sport Chrono.

I'm in the non-chrono camp. The clock thing ruins the dash lines. It's the most prevalent object in the interior. It's useless.

The different throttle/suspension responses are apparently only good for tracking the car. You wouldn't want the stiffer suspension anywhere but on the track. The throttle response change is cool, but is a mere illusion and will not get any more performance out of the car; the car doesn't accelerate faster, doesn't have more HP, lap times do not improve. So the thing is a gimmick, isn't it? I mean all it does is FOOL the driver into thinking the car has more performance; it does not. Meanwhile that thing is just sitting on the dash and everybody is going to ask, incredulously, why you have a lap counter prominently stuck to your car. You say because the throttle maps are different: meaning: your "lead foot mode" becomes automated.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:51 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by npp
Maryle --
it is my understanding that the bulb must remain amber but the housing (side mark) can be clear.

NPP

You can get rid of even the amber-colored bulb. There are bulbs around that are silver but turn yellow when illuminated (yes you heard correctly). Search the net to get them (I don't have links).
Old 06-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

<I'm in the non-chrono camp. The clock thing ruins the dash lines. It's the most prevalent object in the interior. It's useless>
I think you will have a harder time ever selling the s without the chrono option. the few guys I know that ordered very early and passed on the chrono because they didn't understand it, regret it.
yes it's a toy within a toy..order it
perry
Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Must haves are; sports chrono, full leather seats and dash, pasm, bose system, carrerea classic wheels colored crests, supple leather ( I love it) , get the "S" version. And then drive the heck out of it.

Jay
Old 06-30-2005, 11:33 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never driven a non chrono 997 so I'm just passing along info I've read regarding the softer suspension. But it makes sense, since with the chrono, Porsche knows you can dial in the stiffer suspension when you do spirited driving but with the standard suspension it must be a jack of all trades so it may be stiffer to begin with. Not that my chrono equiped S is soft riding. Actually I'd probably prefer 18's over the standard 19's.

As for the clear side marker, its illegal even with an amber bulb inside. Because the reason its amber to begin with (the housing) is because the US requires an amber side reflector for the front, where the Euro's do not. So the clear has no reflective lens in it.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd definitely get sport chrono - think you will like some of the features even if you don't track the car (and may help resale).

Nav is cool if you use it. Definitely get the self dimming mirrors - small cost, nice benefit.

I like the Adaptive Sport seats, nice extra support and highly adjustable. If you are considering them, remember that the adaptive sport seat option includes the power seat option; otherwise, power seat option alone is $1,200-$1,500.

To me, full leather is a "must have" option - though not cheap, it is nice. Actually its the way the car should come stock for its price.

Wheel caps with colored crests - they aren't that nice, but make sure they will compliment your colors if you are going to get them. I almost got them on my black/black 997S but didn't and I'm glad I didn't.

I just put a short shifter on this week - nice, but you or may not care about this (and its probably no more expensive to add it later). I'm adding Porsche sport exhaust next week - great if you like that sort of thing and best ordered with the car if you know you will want it. Thicker steering wheel / multifunction wheel worth considering but not essential.

Bose is worth it.

Seat heaters - nice if you live in a cold climate or like toasty seats.

If I was going to order a car and budget allowed, I would seriously consider the natural leather option, which is very nice, and I would seriously consider popping for an unusual color, which can be modestly expensive or quite expensive depending upon your choice, but could make your car more unique (and to your liking).

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:13 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by texas911

As for the clear side marker, its illegal even with an amber bulb inside. Because the reason its amber to begin with (the housing) is because the US requires an amber side reflector for the front, where the Euro's do not. So the clear has no reflective lens in it.
Is it illegal to SELL, or illegal to drive and own a car with non-ambers?

Seems kinda super strict, I mean with clears when it's nighttime and the car's moving the lights are on and the dang thing is amber.

When the car is parked and lights off, the reflector is white/silver.

Big brother at the DMV is getting to be a total control freak if the cops are authorized to give you a ticket for clears.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:02 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not so sure the clears have reflectors.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Michael1
Advanced

Let's say you have the base 997, without the Suspension Management System. In that case, isn't the Sport Chono going to just change the throttle mapping, and nothing else?

Michael
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by texas911
I'm not so sure the clears have reflectors.

Well I'll be... . I just checked my 996/986 clears and: You are correct sir. They sure LOOK like they have reflecting properties but NO. You'd think these Porsche OEM jobs would have built in reflectors, wow.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:20 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Gary doesn't get an opinion 'cause he's selling his! Traitor. :-)
Old 07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
Gary doesn't get an opinion 'cause he's selling his! Traitor. :-)
Don't be tossing me out just yet........

Quick Reply: Newbie buyin' a 997s - HELP