Sponsored by:

Creating sunroof delete...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:16 AM
danoberer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating sunroof delete...

How hard/$ would it be to take a 997 (or other 911) and have a body shop remove the sunroof and its mechanism? Any experiences? I suppose one could remove the mechanism and place a headliner, or go full tilt and have metal welded in its place and repaint...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not that easy (to do it right)...

Taking most of the weight by removing the motor etc. is not that hard (at least in 993 & older) and you could weld the panels in and then bondo/sand etc. and make the roof smooth but the best way to do it is to replace the whole roof instead of welding the sunroof panel. Yes, the whole roof.

This is assuming you want the looks and the weight benefit, not just weight benefit because then you could just put c/f panel there.

Take a look at Hank's 993 RS replica, he deleted the sunroof by replacing the whole roof, not cheap but yI know I'm thinking about it.

P.S. PCNA: Look what you're making 997 owners to think about by not offering "sunroof delete" option!!! Damn pimps!
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you'd have to replace as much of the roof panel as possible. Why? because it is such a critical visible area that any patchwork will probably show, if not immediately, then eventually and it will be fugly.

I'm also guessing that replacing a very large part of the panel isn't that straighforward either since there's structural integrity to address also.

So I'd just leave the moveable sunroof panel the way it is BUT there's no guarantee that a non-sunroof headliner will fit because the actual metal sunroof panel itself might be on tracks that can't be removed without MORE messing arouns than just removing the motor.

Again, these are just guesses on my part.

Quick Reply: Creating sunroof delete...