Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the 997/S holding up in real world?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:23 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the 997/S holding up in real world?

From other sources (other than our very biased sample) what have you guys heard about how the 911 is being received in the "real" world?

Are the cars holding up? Are they getting a reputation on the streets as a reliable car or the opposite "Garage Queen" rap?

That "wash it and return for service" system fault is really scary. If it were to happen to alot of cars and it became public knowledge Porsche image would be in deeeeep trouble.

My question is this: what are you guys hearing about Porsche reliability outside of the internet forums? Does it match what we've been getting ON the internet forums?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Ive heard solid stuff so far outside the web...mine has been awesome (knock on wood).....

I think and hope the lower production numbers will lead to more care and time put into build quality...only time will tell!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:02 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's been performing like a thorough bred, but I also treat it like such. Don't drive it in the rain and avoid pot holes did the break in by the book. Generally treat it like a piece of art instead of a plain old car. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Absolutely flawless thus far...knock on wood...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:49 AM
joeacc
Instructor

I had a water pump replaced at 7800 miles, other than that it has been perfect. Oh unless you count loosing to a Ferrari 360 in a drag race yesterday.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:26 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't feel so bad I lost to a Suburu WRX!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:20 AM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

Sorry guys...I wish I could say my 997 has been flawless. I have an early production model and have suffered thru the "System Fault- Return to Workshop" nightmare( triggered by washing my car); and last nite driving home I was greeted to another nice message, " Check coolant level"--the red portion of the temp gauge simultaneously starts "flashing". WTF!!! I pull over and the entire passenger side of my car is covered with a spray of antifreeze. I pop open the hood and the coolant resevoir is EMPTY ( it was fine this past weekend ).

This will be the 4th or 5th trip to the shop for repairs...therefore, IMHO, my 997 IS NOT HOLDING UP WELL IN THE REAL WORLD!!!

Trending Topics

Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

I had the RTW from washing my car, incurred 12 system faults due to car wash as well as a leaking RMS. But I love the car, I would buy another and i am on the wait list for 997 GT3 .... so i guess i would say I would have it over a Vette or BMW M3 anyday.... I am looking at Audi S4 for a daily driver .
Old 06-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

extremely happy with my C2S. I think I'm in love.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:55 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

My little white pick up truck is doing great,7,200 miles driven in all Florida conditions and on the track for about 10 hours. I drive it everyhere. Had it in once for hood latch adjustment, it was not the wash car problem. Mine must have been made in Japan and not Germany!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:14 AM
jboyko
Intermediate

If I could delete the months of December to March from my life, I would say that my 997S is a blast to own and drive, every mile.

jb

The three things that I don't like about the car is the numb clutch, the PSM brake activation over-powering the clutch, and the lack of stopping power on a rainy highway, with cold wet PCCB's.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:18 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
From other sources (other than our very biased sample) what have you guys heard about how the 911 is being received in the "real" world?

Are the cars holding up? Are they getting a reputation on the streets as a reliable car or the opposite "Garage Queen" rap?

That "wash it and return for service" system fault is really scary. If it were to happen to alot of cars and it became public knowledge Porsche image would be in deeeeep trouble.

My question is this: what are you guys hearing about Porsche reliability outside of the internet forums? Does it match what we've been getting ON the internet forums?
I was thinking about your question and have come to the realization that there are very few reliable sources other than the internet. Everyone you ask will have their bias. At least on the internet, you'll get people giving relatively honest accounts of positives and negatives. On the other hand, I know the service manager at a Porsche dealership pretty well. He did honestly tell me that the Cayenne had been having alot of minor and extremely annoying problems. He was pretty positive about the 997.

Another source would be something like JD Power or Consumer Reports. CR, obviously, will not have enough data points for a car like the 997. JD Power will need at least a year to complie enough data. And, even then, I'm not sure that a average problems in first 90 days of ownership means all that much.

You will definitely hear about disasters like JBoyko and Skip on internet boards. The satisfied owners without problems have a tendency to post less I think. Also, there's a whole world of owners that have no use for internet boards that may be estatic or completely pis*ed. My partner for instance owns a 997S cab and is head over heels over it. But, he is not a messageboard poster.

Therefore, I'm not sure you can ever get a honest appraisal so soon after the release of a new model.

I'm completely satisfied thus far with my 997S 5500 miles later. Good luck with your car.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Porky
Instructor

My car is still new BUT PERFECT. What I am going to say next might offend a few but according to a source who works for Porsche, PCNA is nowhere near as strict as Porsche Japan! Cars that get sent back from Japan would be sold without any issues whatsoever in the USA.

Just so you know, US cars are available in Japan a brand new base 997 is approximately USD 80,000 but my local Japan purchase base 997 was USD 120,000! It is very hard to sell USA cars here in Japan. The airconditioning unit, the radiators and the exhaust are all different as well as some other minor things.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 AM
ultimate
Advanced

My 997s is a very early (July, 2004) build, but not an intro car. I had the hood issue at 300 miles, the local dealer fixed it and I had it back that same day. Since September I have had zero additional problems, and truly think it is the best drivers car out there. I was an M3 guy since '88, by the way, and I have done some SCAA racing at the national level, plus a bit of open wheel. The car to me feels like some of the formula cars I have driven, except of course for the weight and the luxury that I frankly appreciate - I can always buy or rent a pure race car for the track. The only thing a bit strange to me is the steering - still trying to separate the affects of rear engine, active steering, and other differences between the great input received from the m3 verses the 911.

Overall, I still shake with pleasure everytime I get in it - what value can you place on that?

By the way, it seems there is a huge amount of hand ringing over the RMS issue - does anyone know just how expensive this is to change if we have to pay for it (ie, when it is out of warranty)? I noticed in the Excellence Boxster test they mention is was replaced and back the next day, and I assume, from watching work on 911's at the races, that it is easier to do in a 911 than in a Boxster.

Thanks to all for a great forum
Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 AM
CO997
Racer

I had a few issues within the first month or two of owing the car (Nov 04) but since then it has really been perfect. NOw everyday I get in the caris a good day. The plus side for me was that my dealer was very responsive and fixed my issues the 1st time, every time I took it in for an issue. That makes it a lot less painful. From my experiences so far I would definatley buy another Porsche, I must say I am a happy owner.

Quick Reply: How is the 997/S holding up in real world?