Sponsored by:

Anybody here get Lo-Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anybody here get Lo-Jack?

My car is coming in next week and I’m considering getting Lo-Jack installed. I had it installed in my Boxster and am considering getting it on my 911. There is a slight discount on the insurance premium for having it installed, but not enough that it will pay for itself in ten or so years.

I was under the impression that the installed price is fixed wherever you go, but I’m not so sure anymore. If you had it installed, what was your cost if you don’t mind disclosing?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:38 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Lojack before, but decided against it this time. If my car is stolen, I am not sure I really want it back again, especially if it has been broken into, joy-rider driven and/or trashed or stripped. Just my thought process for what it is worth.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:50 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes I am with DD694. If it is stolen I don't want it back. If it is a financial issue get gap insurance if it is a lease or full value replacement if owned.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Never had Lo-Jack...BUT,...I had stickers with the Lo-Jack logo (some clever guy figured out how to reverse print them on see through labels ) that I put on the windows of my Jeep when I lived in NYC. Car never got stolen but got broken into a few times!!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:22 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stolen or hijacked? No way I want it back.

If your car gets stolen consider the possibility (plausible denyability of your knowing several days before reporting ) of not reporting it for several days. Give them more time to f it up and destroy it or make it disappear.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
GT3BB
Racer

Ditto here, if they steal it, I hope I never see it again.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yeah, I know what you guys mean. I've often thought about that myself. What if they f*** it up real bad, redlining the engine and then popping the clutch to see what it does....before the break-in mileage. (Makes you shiver just to think about it, huh?) Yeah, I wouldn't want it back either after someone defiles it.

It's a lot like being in your twenties and you have a fiance who is still a virgin, saving it up for you for the wedding night, and then some hoodlums kidnap her and gang-bang rape her and then return her back to you. ... Well, maybe that's not such a good analogy 'cuz if you loved her you'd accept her back. I was going to say, instead, if that happened to your wife, but some of you might be too quick to say, "Take my wife, please!"
Old 06-13-2005, 05:51 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Dont do it OcBen.............Pray they take it to Tiajuana and turn it into a policia car.......
Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 PM
munro86
Racer

My wife said: "You'll drive me to my grave!" Had the car out in two minutes.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:55 PM
MMD
Banned

I mean can you imagine having it stolen and getting it back? The NIGHTMARE that might come in the months and years ahead? All those repair bills for stuff you didn't do. The insurance company probably knows all about this sort of delayed destruction of stolen cars and probably covers their a** in some small print somewhere. So at 20K miles your PASM system is shot and Porsche sez you're void because it's the result of track use or abuse and you're where? Fighting everybody to get them to pay for something you didn't do?! No frickin way. If I were unfortunate enough to get my car back think I'd have to have the insuance company pay for all extant necessary repairs and then get RID of it! Sorry... .
Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by munro86
My wife said: "You'll drive me to my grave!" Had the car out in two minutes.
See, I knew it! ... You guys are predictable. "Take my wife, please. But don't take my 911!"
Originally Posted by rss997
Dont do it OcBen.............Pray they take it to Tiajuana and turn it into a policia car.......
Nahhh... Don't worry, Robert. Not gonna do it! Wouldn't want it back... Yep, I'll Let them turn it into a policia car... it'll be the fastest policia carro in all of Mehico!
Originally Posted by CoochasTT
Never had Lo-Jack...BUT,...I had stickers with the Lo-Jack logo (some clever guy figured out how to reverse print them on see through labels ) that I put on the windows of my Jeep when I lived in NYC. Car never got stolen but got broken into a few times!!!!
That's interesting because a car equipped with Lo-Jack does not have stickers indicating that it does. It's so car theft rings can be discovered and busted up. Joy ride seekers probably don't know this and so if they see such a sticker they'll not want to steal it, whereas professional car thieves know this and will realize it's just a decoy sticker and might be tempted to take it.

But here's where this will pay off for us. If the pros come across a new 911 they'll probably steer away thinking it's got to have some kind of theft recovery system installed. The amateurs will probably think it has some sophisticated system that they've never heard of before, such as something that might just trap them inside and summon the police who will be there in no time to rescue them and book them in the process. In either case, they may just pass on a new 911, figuring it's not worth the risk. Unless of course, they're reading this right now!

So thanks guys for your inputs. I really appreciate it. You guys helped me make my decision, which is not to get it, 'cuz I wouldn't want it back after it's been defiled by some scumbag either!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:06 AM
DougNY
Intermediate

I just got a 997 two weeks ago from InSkip in Rhode Island (in NY but couldn't find the one I wanted by me). InSkip installed a LoJack unit in the car. I didn't ask for it or want it. they said they did it for all the cars they sell and I could opt in or not. So, I have it, but it is unactivated.

I agree with everyone else though, if it is taken, I don't want it back.

Will post pics when I take them.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 AM
OCBen
Banned

First and foremost, congratulations on your new 977 DougNY!
That sucks that you got something you didn't ask for. Sounds like you bought it off the lot. Do you think it already had it installed or that they installed it without your permission when they knew you wanted to buy the car? If the latter, I would be real pissed at them for doing so, and would raise all manner of stink to get them to reimburse you for that expense you didn't order or want, like threatening to report them for their sneaky sales tactics.

Anyway, I hope that doesn't sour your long term experience with your car -- I'm sure it won't!
Yeah, post pics when you can. We'd love to see them!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DougNY
I just got a 997 two weeks ago from InSkip in Rhode Island (in NY but couldn't find the one I wanted by me). InSkip installed a LoJack unit in the car. I didn't ask for it or want it. they said they did it for all the cars they sell and I could opt in or not. So, I have it, but it is unactivated.

I agree with everyone else though, if it is taken, I don't want it back.

Will post pics when I take them.
Congrads and Welcome! I am jealous of your Midnight Blue. P-car, 'cuz that's my all time favorite color! I am anxiously awaiting the pics, cuz, we LOVE pics!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

OK so whats Lo Jack ??

Quick Reply: Anybody here get Lo-Jack?