Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattles are driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:39 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

No dealer confidence? If not find a Porsche Dealer and mechanic you can trust and have confidence in. Thats not saying much positive about your dealer to have an $80,000. car and are asking for a service manual so you can take it apart yourself.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Good News. The rattles are gone. I tackled on Sat, pulled both door panels and secured the airlines and cables in the doors. Thanks for the advice and help. Doors are silent. Dash was a project. I located the rattle in two brackets behind glove box. The car is now rattle free.

My biggest frustration was the dealer. Obviously did not want to take the time and solve. Pretty sad. I have a great saleperson, but the service side is less than stellar. I wish I had another service option in the Phx area, but we are only blessed with a single dealership. BTW - no service manual available at the dealer. They provided me virtually nothing to assist in the disassembly.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadking
Good News. The rattles are gone. I tackled on Sat, pulled both door panels and secured the airlines and cables in the doors. Thanks for the advice and help. Doors are silent. Dash was a project. I located the rattle in two brackets behind glove box. The car is now rattle free.

My biggest frustration was the dealer. Obviously did not want to take the time and solve. Pretty sad. I have a great saleperson, but the service side is less than stellar. I wish I had another service option in the Phx area, but we are only blessed with a single dealership. BTW - no service manual available at the dealer. They provided me virtually nothing to assist in the disassembly.

OK, I'm impressed. That's not easy finding rattles. Can't the service manuals be ordered?

Michael
Old 06-22-2005, 07:52 PM
jfraser
Instructor

Roadking,
I had the same rattle/buzz from my door, and had it fixed a few weeks ago...exactly the same problem as you, airbag cables were found to be the problem......I have one left...when I play music with a specific bass frequency I get a funny rasping noise....it almost sounds like the woofers are being overdriven, but I couldn't identify the speaker....I eventually found it was the sunroof (If I push up on it the noise goes away).

FYI...To identify rattles buzzes etc I use the stereo's fader/balance controls to locate the area of the car with the problem...Also I burnt a cd with a single song Josh Rouse, Comeback (album called 1972, song available on itunes)....For some reason the song lights up the car....if you have any rattles, buzzes etc this tune seems to amplify them. I gave the disc to the tech and it allowed him to identify and eliminate the problems (he was also prepared to take the time to find them....thanks to Beverly Hills service dept...1st class!!)
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How hard was it to take the door panels apart? Did you take pictures?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Door panels were easy. PM me if you want details. Pretty straight forward. The dash was a pain in the butt. I did not take pics during the troubleshooting, sorry.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:13 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roadking
Door panels were easy. PM me if you want details. Pretty straight forward. The dash was a pain in the butt. I did not take pics during the troubleshooting, sorry.
Could you please copy and paste a PM of how you got into the door panels? It'd be helpful info. Thanks! (Especially any stuff you have to watch out for that could break)
Old 06-24-2005, 06:46 PM
leo
Cruisin'

A big reason I sold my 03 996 C4s was all the rattles, 993 had the dash creaking. Porsche cannot build a quality interior and the ride harshness contributes to it. You either have to try to get it fixed and plan on going to the dealer many times, live with it, or sell it like I did. I miss the car but did not like the headaches associated with a 90K car, back to my Mercedes. You would think for what you pay for a Porsche they could build them better.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Ok, I bought a new 997 S and it has 1000 miles on it now. I've noticed that the car "creaks" as I go out of my driveway. The driveway is uneven shell and as the car goes over these uneven places, it creaks and groans. Sounds like it is mostly from the right front. After driving for a while, it stops. It's almost like something that stops when the car is warm. Coming back in the driveway, it doesn't do it.
Any ideas what's going on? Seems to be worse after it rains also. (?)
Old 06-26-2005, 10:24 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buzz911S
Ok, I bought a new 997 S and it has 1000 miles on it now. I've noticed that the car "creaks" as I go out of my driveway. The driveway is uneven shell and as the car goes over these uneven places, it creaks and groans. Sounds like it is mostly from the right front. After driving for a while, it stops. It's almost like something that stops when the car is warm. Coming back in the driveway, it doesn't do it.
Any ideas what's going on? Seems to be worse after it rains also. (?)
That driveway creek is pretty normal. Mine does it anyway. All my rattles are worse when the entire car is colder.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Originally Posted by SrfCity
That driveway creek is pretty normal. Mine does it anyway. All my rattles are worse when the entire car is colder.
After an hour of searching, I found two of the rattles in my 997S. One was my CD case in the glove box ... and the other was the license tag bracket. Still got the groaning and creaking when it's cold though. Weird.

Quick Reply: Rattles are driving me nuts