Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what Eric @ Bumperplugs.com got me :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Tina K
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BD997
hey MJ...well the car flipped over and driver roof caved in...I ended up on passenger side roof on my knees...happen so fast in the winter on highway...on the way to high school in my mustang gt. not a scratch on me just a sore neck for a few days...car was totalled...
BD, I play spectator here 99.9% of the time, but I cannot remain silent on this one.

Thank God you escaped a tragic end by avoiding the collapsed roof. Not to mother you here, really, but please reconsider your seat belt veto.
The probability that a repeat occurrence of being thrown out/thrown clear of the driver's seat will actually improve your chances of survival is ludicrous. A dear friend's mother was killed several years ago when she was sent through the sunroof--wearing no seatbelt--as her car overturned after being impacted by another vehicle. It still makes me shudder to think of it.

On a less preachy note, seeking your thoughts on two things: now that you have some experience with the aftermarket lowering springs, how much tougher is the ride? The interior center console looks sharp, is the center console Arctic Silver or Aluminum-look?

Tina
Old 06-11-2005, 12:01 AM
MMD
Banned

seatbelt use is like the lottery

If you do NOT wear them the chances of winning (walking away from an accident unhurt) are slim.

If you DO wear them the chances of "winning" (getting MORE injuries in an accident) are slim.

The odds makers say: always wear seatbelts.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:22 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay Tina, I was holding back, but you got me off the dime here, so here goes. Now mind you, BD is really a cool guy and so I wasn’t about to saying anything critical because I like him as many of us do here, and we’d like to see him around for some time, that’s why we’re offering our points of view here. So here’s my take.

Surviving an accident while not wearing a seatbelt and concluding from this improbable event that it’s best not to ever wear a seatbelt for the sake of survival is a lot like the following analogy.

Imagine, if you will, two skydivers jumping out of an airplane, one right after the other. The first jumper’s parachute opens, while the second one’s doesn’t, and he plummets to earth. It just so happens that, through a serious miscalculation in the flight plan, the skydivers were unknowingly jumping right into the flight path of a 747 that can’t maneuver out of the way in time and kills the first skydiver who is essentially a sitting duck. The second skydiver happens to land on a haystack on a nearby farm below and survives the fall. He then concludes from this improbable sequence of events that for the sake of survival it is best not to ever wear a parachute when skydiving.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:53 PM
BD997
Racer

Originally Posted by Tina K
BD, I play spectator here 99.9% of the time, but I cannot remain silent on this one.

Thank God you escaped a tragic end by avoiding the collapsed roof. Not to mother you here, really, but please reconsider your seat belt veto.
The probability that a repeat occurrence of being thrown out/thrown clear of the driver's seat will actually improve your chances of survival is ludicrous. A dear friend's mother was killed several years ago when she was sent through the sunroof--wearing no seatbelt--as her car overturned after being impacted by another vehicle. It still makes me shudder to think of it.

On a less preachy note, seeking your thoughts on two things: now that you have some experience with the aftermarket lowering springs, how much tougher is the ride? The interior center console looks sharp, is the center console Arctic Silver or Aluminum-look?

Tina
maybe I will...Ill try to get in the habbit of putting it on....I know its for the best...thanks again
Old 06-11-2005, 02:15 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Statistically you have a MUCH greater chance of survivability in an accident wearing belts.

BUCKLE UP!!
Old 06-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Tina K
Track Day

Just a good-spirited suggestion on the seat belts, BD. I always enjoy your posts. All of your adventurous 997 modifications really jazz up this forum, keep it up.

Tina
Old 06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Painted center console trim?

Has anybody seen non-Porsche-approved interior stuff like this center console trim paint job? Please post photos if you have any.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:31 PM
GT3BB
Racer

How do you avoid tickets, around here, the city gets $200 per violation.

Quick Reply: Look what Eric @ Bumperplugs.com got me :-)