Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the chrome tailpipes available in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:33 PM
andyb_997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are the chrome tailpipes available in the US?

Hi all,

I would like to fit the chrome tailpipes to my 997S but have been told by my local dealer that they won't be available in the UK until October \ November at the earliest. Can anyone tell me whether they are available now in the US? If so, are there any dealers in the Boston area as I am visiting that city next month and could pick them up there.

Many thanks.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:52 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry-
Chrome Exhaust Pipes are NOT available for the "S" at this time
Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Not true. I saw an S with chrome tips at a local dealer last week. They may not be available as a part order but they can certainly be ordered with an S in the US.

They look pretty sharp but I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to just have the stock ones chromed.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tnunnery
Not true. I saw an S with chrome tips at a local dealer last week. They may not be available as a part order but they can certainly be ordered with an S in the US.

They look pretty sharp but I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to just have the stock ones chromed.
Perhaps the car had PSE
Did you see them listed on the window sticker?

from the 5/20 bulletin
Option X54 Chrome Exhaust Pipes 2006 only
(Carrera only – no S models at this time)

From my records they have not been available yet MY 05 or 06 for the "S"

Old 06-02-2005, 04:13 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

No PSE on the options list. These were for the standard S exhaust and not the PSE style with staggered diameters. The chrome tips were listed on the sticker as "Individual" options(?). The only other option present that I had not seen in person was the short-shifter.

Apparently there is an available option "Y29 - Aluminum/Chrome X71,X70,X54" which also includes the tips. I believe that is the case for this car.

So why would Y29 be available and not X54 if Y29 includes X54??

But, despite your records, I've seen some type of factory chrome tips, in person, on an S. Maybe you have to spring for the whole Y29 package, but it seems it can be done.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:49 PM
david1
Advanced

My (US) dealership installed chrome tips on my exhaust last week. I'd ordered them but they weren't available as an option in January. They look much better than the ones that come on the S from the factory, especially after a few months/miles of wear that turn the brushed finish yellow.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:04 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Thanks for clearing that up, David. I agree, they really do look sharp. They are a bit pricey (imagine that) but I have added them to my order after seeing them in person.

Trending Topics

Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Getting them plated may be a problem.

I don't think they can be chrome plated very well. The welded fitment has the trim pieces very close together. It is hard to get chrome to deposit thickly in close proximity like that. You'll probably get an uneven plating job with the possibility of rust in those thin areas.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:45 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
I don't think they can be chrome plated very well. The welded fitment has the trim pieces very close together. It is hard to get chrome to deposit thickly in close proximity like that. You'll probably get an uneven plating job with the possibility of rust in those thin areas.

I thought that chrome plating the standard ones sounded too easy. Thanks for the advice - I guess I'll leave that option box ticked.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No PSE on the options list. These were for the standard S exhaust and not the PSE style with staggered diameters. The chrome tips were listed on the sticker as "Individual" options(?). The only other option present that I had not seen in person was the short-shifter.

Apparently there is an available option "Y29 - Aluminum/Chrome X71,X70,X54" which also includes the tips. I believe that is the case for this car.

So why would Y29 be available and not X54 if Y29 includes X54??

But, despite your records, I've seen some type of factory chrome tips, in person, on an S. Maybe you have to spring for the whole Y29 package, but it seems it can be done.
Was it by chance the Carmon Red S at Stevens Creek in San Jose?
I also wanted a first-hand look at the X54 pipes, after exhaustive (cough) search, the Stevens Creek car was the only 997S listed with the chrome pipes X54 option fitted.

Dealer must have sold it, in fact-- as of June 2nd that Carmon Red car is no longer listed on Stevens Creek website.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 PM
MMD
Banned

I thought that chrome plating the standard ones sounded too easy. Thanks for the advice - I guess I'll leave that option box ticked.
It's probably a false economy but, you can remove the spot weld, have then chromed, then re-align and re-weld.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is to have them polished, less than $50.. I did it to my C2Turbo tips. It was stainless steel painted from the factory.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default It is sold... to me!

Originally Posted by stan523
Was it by chance the Carmon Red S at Stevens Creek in San Jose?
I also wanted a first-hand look at the X54 pipes, after exhaustive (cough) search, the Stevens Creek car was the only 997S listed with the chrome pipes X54 option fitted.

Dealer must have sold it, in fact-- as of June 2nd that Carmon Red car is no longer listed on Stevens Creek website.
It's not there now cause it's parked in my garage!
I will post the details later tonight.
This is a great car!

Old 06-03-2005, 12:33 AM
vtach88
Advanced

JSMDMD:
Great car. I actually sat in it several times to "try it out" - makes waiting for my own much easier. I promise I didn't break anything! This was several weeks ago. I'm surprised it didn't sell more quickly!
Looks great.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:50 AM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by vtach88
JSMDMD:
Great car. I actually sat in it several times to "try it out" - makes waiting for my own much easier. I promise I didn't break anything! This was several weeks ago. I'm surprised it didn't sell more quickly!
Looks great.
Thanks for checking my car out before I bought it!
Yours will look great too!

Quick Reply: Are the chrome tailpipes available in the US?