Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excellence article..Boxster over 997...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:47 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda like the Cayman, its a neat car. Kinda reminds me of a Nissan 350Z with that hatchback. I still wouldn't buy one as I need the rear seats, but it I didn't, I'd probably still get the Boxster S.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels Jørgensen
So, if you must have a 911 why on earth do you drive a 996?

The posters on your childhood bedroom walls, I'm sure, were not 996s?

If Porsche build a brand new rear-engined car that looked like a BMW M3 but called it the 998 and said it was a 911 - would that make it a 911?

What defines a 911?
I love all 911's, 993, 996, 997 they all have the history, and will continue to do so.

The fact that the basic shape of the 911 hasn't changed, nor it's engine placement makes it a 911. Sure they continue to refine it, but it's still unmistakably a 911. If it looked like an M3 it would loose the physics that make it a 911, so of course that's not a valid argument.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:18 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like this thread served its purpose.....got the emotions flowing!

I think all these P-cars are cool and even loved my dads 928 S which was a blast to drive fast in a straight line and sounded insane!

All I am saying is that it is funny how these idiot journalists try to compare cars that are different prices, serve different purposes and are in different leauges.

I could have a Ferrari if I wanted but need the seats and love the fact that I can get this great car for 72k, put the kids in it, autocross it and take it out with the wife....fits my needs perfectly.\

I know thats why you have a boxster and could have any other P-car, the boxster fits your needs!

Anyway, good day all and happy motoring!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh sure.... bail out now....after lighting the fire. You arsonist!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Renquist
Intermediate

***** waving seems to be quite a common pastime of the prestige car driving world.
At the end of the day if you like buy, if you don't then don't.

What I've noticed from Porsche ownership (In the UK at least) most of the real drivers/enthusiasts are not really bothered with oneupmanship, they are all just into Porsche for the drive, not the chance to look down on someone else for not having a car as expensive as theirs, but you do often see that sort of moron.

Lets just enjoy our cars and all get along.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to start a war, just trying to understand the fascination some people have with this particular number.

IMO, the history, or the soul if you will, belongs to the brand, not the number, just as I don't really see the 964 (I assume you forgot that by accident?), 993, 996, 997, or whatever as "911"s - they have unique numbers because they are different cars.

Oh well, in a few years it won't matter as numbers appear to be replaced by funky animal names. Even I liked the numbers better
Old 05-26-2005, 05:58 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Any one notice that the Boxster in question had a RMS leak. The car required major dealer service before Exellence could put it through its paces.
Jack
Old 05-26-2005, 07:01 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

All I am saying is that it is funny how these idiot journalists try to compare cars that are different prices, serve different purposes and are in different leauges.
To be honest. They are separated by power, aside from the history. The Boxster/S shares a lot of that 40 years of development. I don't think the journalists are idiots. Porsche makes outstanding cars. There's an argument to made. Some like one model others like another. I think the 997 is a great car, just different. Thats my opinion
Old 05-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What people have to remember is that the Boxster helped Porsche out of quite a big hole in the 90s.And allowed them to produce cars like the 996,997 and GT3 which I am fortunate to drive.
So I say all Porsches have their place and the world is better for it.
Shane
Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 AM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had 987S on order for 9 months, kept driving both boxster and 997. Perhaps for many of us who never put car on track, just drive the thing around, it comes down, as it did forme, to which car better meets our needs. I was coming out of G35 coupe, which I loved but wasn't quick enough. Prestige is hogwash, give me a car that does what I want it to and is easy to live with. In the end, I opted for base 997. Am perfectly happy, although I still like the looks of boxster. Had I not 2 kids in college and one in priv. school, why not both?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

I just sold my '01 Boxster S a month ago, and really liked it for the most part, but it just wasn't that practical of a car for me, as far as sports cars go. I've had a 300ZX 2-seater for nearly 20 yrs (my daily driver), and though it only has the two seats it is more practical than a Boxster because of the ample "cargo" space behind the seats. In the Boxster it was frustrating when I had a passenger (usually my wife) and there wasn't room for anything else. If she wanted to remove her coat she would have to hold on to it for the duration of the ride. Also, on trips it was cumbersome to have my camera bag inside the car. Although I had to usually stop the car to take a scenic photo (unless my wife took it while moving) I now had to get out of the car and get the camera out of the trunk to do so with the Boxster. Needless to say I had to pass up a lot of nice shots just because I didn't want to carry the camera inside on my wife's lap (and neither did she) for the duration of the trip.

So for me the 911 is a more practical sports car because of the rear "cargo" area. Besides, cleaning the inside of the rear window in the Boxster was a PIA!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:04 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by Renquist
***** waving seems to be quite a common pastime of the prestige car driving world.

Now that is funny.
Not to go off topic but, I have noticed that the local bimmer drivers wave their ***** a little more than is good for them. Though usually these ******* are so small they are often missed...
Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Okay, on that tangent, why is it that BMW owners don't know how to spell their car's nickname? No, this is not a joke, though in a sense it's a joke they don't know how to spell it right. ... Everybody pronounces it "Beemer", yet they spell it "Bimmer". ... Go figure!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I own both the 996 and the 987S. I gotta tell you, the 987S gives a more "raw" driving experience. That boxer engine is whining right at your behind, vey quick turn-in, very light feel, vey nimble. The 996 is more GT than the 987. As for performace overall, the 987S laps the ring only 1 second behind the 996 C2.

I like the Boxster S as a convertible over the 997 cab, that's why I bought it. OTOH, I would not take the Cayman over the 997. But I can certainly see why people and mags keep comparing the two. Some people WILL opt for the Cayman over the 997. And it won't be just because it's cheaper.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
Okay, on that tangent, why is it that BMW owners don't know how to spell their car's nickname? No, this is not a joke, though in a sense it's a joke they don't know how to spell it right. ... Everybody pronounces it "Beemer", yet they spell it "Bimmer". ... Go figure!
In BMW-speak, a "Beemer" is the two-wheeled variety and a "Bimmer" is the four-wheeled variety. I've owned many of the latter and I still don't know why that naming convention exists.

So, uh, spelling has nothing to do with it.

Quick Reply: Excellence article..Boxster over 997...