Sponsored by:

Got a dash rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 01:39 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got a dash rattle?

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is also slowly losing their sanity while hunting a similar rattle. You never know, this could be it....

I've been hunting this dash rattle down for 8 months and I finally found the little bastard. Thought it was in the driver's dash speaker housing or behind the instrument cluster but, it turns out, it was under the steering column and behind the knee bolster coming from the rust colored electrical clip attached to a clutch actuator switch. To find it just scoot the seat back, follow the clutch lever up to the little plastic plunger switch, and find the rust colored electrical connector powering the switch. I wrapped a piece of electrical tape once around the rust colored electrical connector and it's little yellow clip and... no rattle! It is like having a new car.

Hope that it helps someone.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 05-21-2005 at 01:03 PM. Reason: bolster not bloster
Old 05-21-2005, 03:00 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I just got my car back for the third try with rattle fixes. Apparently the guy removed some of the dash for the area you described. That one seems to be gone now. I'll check the thing you mentioned. Now if they could only get the vibration in the center console and the creaking in the rear near the glass, especially when the car is cold. I've pretty much given up on the dealer and will have to go it alone from here on in
Old 05-21-2005, 11:12 AM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very handy tips. Don't have it yet, but as soon as it pops up, I know where to look for. Maybe I'm going to tape it up already right now, before it starts.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Atlas.
Intermediate

Got a rattle in the door. Took it to my dealer to have it fixed and it came back worse. They fixed it again, but it has re-appeared. I've given up on trying to fix it. Instead, I put it down to the character of a sport car and it no longer bothers me...
Old 05-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My rattles are driving me nuts. The door pockets rattle. Has anyone else dealt with this? I did read that someone found the lids to be loose. How do you pull the door panel? Seems the screws and clips are hidden. My main rattle is the door pockets and one in the passenger side dash. I have stopped it in the past, but now back. Been to my dealer 6 times, no results. I am almost willing to accept, but the car is $80K!. My buddies SL500 is rock solid and so is his new Vette. Any help/ideas appreciated.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:16 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roadking
My rattles are driving me nuts. The door pockets rattle. Has anyone else dealt with this? I did read that someone found the lids to be loose. How do you pull the door panel? Seems the screws and clips are hidden. My main rattle is the door pockets and one in the passenger side dash. I have stopped it in the past, but now back. Been to my dealer 6 times, no results. I am almost willing to accept, but the car is $80K!. My buddies SL500 is rock solid and so is his new Vette. Any help/ideas appreciated.
One way to find out if it's the side pocket lids is to lift them up while driving. If it stops then that's it. The hinge is a plastic piece and I suspect that it isn't secure when the lid is in the down position.

If the dash ones don't stop by securing the vents and speakers with a felt tape to insulate then it's something inside the dash. Someone then needs to get inside to fix it.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:39 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

It took me quite a while to find my one and only rattle - sounded like it was coming from the right side of the dash or right door, but I finally discovered it was the lense on the overhead light, that vibrates very annoyingly sometimes. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet (don't want to bother taking it in to the dealer), but I intend to simply put a little piece of the fuzzy side of velcro tape on it which I am sure will stop the rattle. Velcro tape is great for a lot of little repairs like that!
Old 05-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Atlas.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roadking
Roadking, initially the rattle from the door bins was coming from the lid, but I have found that it's actually something to do with the front of the door bin itself. Try this. Open the lid and pull the front (the part closest to the seat) towards you. See if this stops the rattling. It did in my case. The way to fix it (and I have still yet to do this) is by putting something in the bin itself that pushes the door bin outwards towards the seat. I'm going to put something in there at the bottom of the bin to hold it in this position and hope that it stays. Hope this helps in your case..
Old 05-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

When I pull the lid towards me, the noise stops. I will try your tip. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:45 PM
PV
Pro

I had such a rattle on the right side. Dealer took the panel off. There is some tubing in the door for cables. Those tubes are sometimes loose and to close to the door panel. Good change that this is the same issue. In my case they secured the tubing and since then it is gone.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

after 2580 miles I have now developed a seat rattle, when I hold the passenger seat it stops. it's really starting to annoy me.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:09 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Anyone tried chewing gum to fix 'em
Old 05-23-2005, 02:11 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Jersey bean
I had the same thing with my passenger seat....just re-position the seat

I've also had the driver door rattle.....This has now been fixed, and there were several factors.....There was a rub behind the door airbag (which could be the door bin buzz some of you noticed), this was fixed using felt tape....The memory seat switch panel had a really bad rattle...this was replaced. There was a rub behind the speakers...fixed with felt tape and my dash buzz was the driver's side vent again fixed with felt tape....I'm pleased to say that the car is now rattle free......I think the success of fixing rattles is down to how much effort the dealer is prepared to make. Mine (Beverly Hills Porsche) really went the extra mile to sort them out. Thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 04:28 AM
Rob997
AutoX

I thought I was the only unlucky one with rattles! I have multiple ones...drives me nuts. My x-Ford had fewer rattles. I would turn the strereo up but I want to listen to the motor (after market mufflers installed...nice). I may just remove the cat converters! That'll cure'em.

Quick Reply: Got a dash rattle?