Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005 | 07:22 PM
eyeslasher1
Instructor

You know it is interesting
my first p-cars were a 63 super 90
and a 57 coupe
I never drove these care real hard
but in turns i could always feel the engine acting like a pendulum behind the rear wheels
i braked early and never let my foot off the gas in the turns
the 997 felt similar to that, but alot more civilized, isolated
and not nealry as pendulous (sp)
Old 05-12-2005 | 09:39 PM
PV
Pro

Adding to that: the sensationof sound is in the frequency spectrum more than amplitude. If you look for a lot of amplitude only, you can decide to buy an aftermarket by-pass or just don't buy a P-car and buy something else less sophisticated.
Old 05-12-2005 | 09:41 PM
PV
Pro

Go for another tst drive and hit the 997 or S high in the rpm band, and come back with your experience.

On the other hand: is the new Boxster S not an option?
Old 05-13-2005 | 11:13 AM
eyeslasher1
Instructor

I think i have sort of done the boxster thing.
It is a great car and i have no complaints about it,
but i think it feels a litle cramped (not as open as the 997)and the roadster body is not as stiff as
a coupe and that bothers me
the power always seemed adequate to me, and the steering and driver controls are sublime
Old 05-14-2005 | 12:02 PM
PV
Pro

Go for that extra test drive and rev the motor into the 6000 rpm range
Old 05-14-2005 | 01:53 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Engine Sound: manipulated like a hollywood movie!

Sat next to a Ford Mustang yesterday. Wow! (sarcastic) It just sounded engineered to sound that way. The most typical, mass appeal sound of an engine that sounds like an engine should sound like according to Ford.

So stuuuupid because it is totally faked. Like special effects on big budget Hollywood movies. Like a guy who pays attention to the bulge in his pants.

My point?

Why not pull all the stops? Make the engine as quiet as possible and install a sound system that would simulate ANY engine sound from the outside and inside of the car? You could have a Ferrari sound, a Mustang sound, an air-cooled Porsche, a turbine sound! This sound would be correlated to what the engine is doing (RPMs) of course.

I'd LOVE this option since I could turn it all off and keep it off and speed around town and not **** anybody off because I "sound" like I'm going much too fast. Or I can just leave it on inside the car when I'm feeling immature and want to hear my car as it it were a turbine!

Why not? Would computer generated sound be TOO fake? Meaning the totally engineered sound of fake Mustangs is just fake enough to be allowable?

Old 05-17-2005 | 04:16 PM
911liebhaber
1st Gear

Why don't you try the FVD Export Exhuast without cats or headers the sound is true Porsche and sounds better than PSE.
Old 05-17-2005 | 04:49 PM
texas911
Race Car

So stuuuupid because it is totally faked. Like special effects on big budget Hollywood movies. Like a guy who pays attention to the bulge in his pants.
Are you joking? Porsche spends a lot of money to "tune" the sound of the 911. In which case Porsche is just as guilty as Ford. And how about the fake tail pipes?
Old 05-18-2005 | 05:17 PM
fluid15

Fake engine sound is what Ricers are all about. Ask one of them if they're worried they won't be able to hear the engine and you'll get a blank stare.
Old 05-18-2005 | 05:56 PM
texas911
Race Car

Ricer? What kind of racist bs is that? You need not look past the rennlist 993 board for people who want fake loud sounds for their cars. Everyday there is a post on supercup this and fabspeed that. Even Porsche sell a fake exhaust options. And yes the Porsche Sport Exhaust is pure fashion as it adds NO performance at all.
Old 05-18-2005 | 06:44 PM
fluid15

Point taken. But an air-cooled engine (also the Beetle) has a signature sound to it. And yes, many 993 owners enhance that inherant trait. I can drill my airbox or add Supercup, Fabspeed, RSR, etc to my car BUT it still has the 911 burble. A Ricer adds a whistle to the rear of their car and there is no longer any resemblance to what it was before the change - or the original design.

IMO that's the difference - not racist. I know you're just making a point but I'm just clarifying my comment. Different views are a good thing.
Old 05-18-2005 | 07:22 PM
texas911
Race Car

What??? That's totally a biased opinion! I see no difference between a "tuner" trying to make his car sound sportier and the Porsche owner doing the same thing. Please. Get over it.
Old 05-18-2005 | 07:53 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by fluid15
IMO that's the difference - not racist. I know you're just making a point but I'm just clarifying my comment. Different views are a good thing.
What's racist is the use of the term "ricer'. Do you want people referring to your car as a Krautmobile?
Old 05-18-2005 | 10:04 PM
texas911
Race Car

The term is derogatory, and it has a direct reference to Asians, so thus it is racist. Why do you think you never read ther term "rice" on any automotive publications? It started out as a slight from Harley Davidson owners, calling Japanese bikes "rice burners" and they meant it as a racist remark. Then it went from there.

Why else would we call american cars that are modified "hot rods" or german cars, "tuned"?

Personally I don't see much difference between any of these crowds, they all want the same things. Look at the 993 forum, they all want to lower their cars, or hop up their stereos, or add loud mufflers, change out to bigger wheels, some even add outrageous body kits with giant wings, but how come they aren't called "ricer"?
Old 05-19-2005 | 12:52 AM
MMD
Banned

Yes everybody engineers sound these days. I guess if it's done by Porsche it will never have "wannabe" or "poser" status. I mean Porsche is Porsche.

Done by others (Ford) it seems more embarassingly fake. Difference between say Elle Macpherson getting a boob job and Pamela Anderson's. If the former got one you wouldn't be hyperbolically blown away by it; it would just look great.

Gotta tell ya though, this is probably the last generation of cars from Porsche that I think I will be able to tolerate. Porsche is getting too much direction from the marketing department and the car had never been as fake and gimmick-y as it is now.

Quick Reply: 997 sound