Sponsored by:

Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Car Covers

Just wondering what you guys think is the best cover available for your 997. Johnny Narcosis already indicated his choice:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...01&postcount=6

What about the silver colored synthetic Techquipment cover, anybody care for this one? I've used cotton blend covers in the past and over time they tend to break down and leave "fiber" dust on the car after you remove the cover. Are the multi-layer covers better at holding up over time?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:50 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using the Tequipment cover and so far the fit is perfect and it keeps the P-car clean. The inner part of the cover is soft. I'm sure there are cheaper versions on the amrket, but didn't had a lot of energy at that time to skim the market and safe a few $$$'ers.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
steve775
Instructor

Get the Tequipment cover, fits like a glove, and has a felt underside, made in Italy. Part # 000.044.000.77.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
fast lane
Racer

I'm also very happy with my tequipment cover. It comes wit a nice duffle bag to keep it in also.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The US Tequiment covers are far inferior to the Euro covers (which have a colored Porsche crest and an extremely soft inside lining).

You can get Euro Tequipment covers from the usual places: Brandywine Porsche, Hendrick Porsche, Sunset Imports for cost + 15%.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
steve775
Instructor

Didn't know there were 2 versions, mine has the colored crest on the front, must be the Euro one it says Made in Italy. I bet there is no better than the one I have, cost was over $300.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Is the felt lining throughout the inside of the cover or just in certain areas such as the fender areas?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:31 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I must have the U.S. Tequipment cover, because it only has felt in some areas, not all. It's a nice snug fit, BUT the last time I had it on the tight fit over the rear fenders left a large scratch in the paint, and since then I've been afraid to use it.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:18 AM
jfraser
Instructor

This is the company that makes the euro tequipment cover.......These guys make the covers that ship with Ferraris along with the matching steering wheel & seat covers.....I bought a replacement Ferrari cover from them and they also made me a padded quilted cover that I used when I shipped my 360 from the uk to us....
They seem to have significantly reduced their product range (shame)...but if you want an indoor cover they are the best. You can order direct from them, but when I did, they weren't really geared up for it (I had to wire transfer the money)....very Italian!!

http://www.covercar.com/html_ing/ing_index.htm
Old 04-26-2005, 12:29 AM
OCBen
Banned

I have the Tequipment cover for my Boxster and it's a real tight fit. I think it must have been designed to withstand Category 5 Hurricane winds, 'cuz it really takes quite a bit of effort on my part to stretch it over the last rear fender just so it doesn't touch the paint and thus potentially scratch the surface. It also has limited felt coverage, just for the fender areas. Seems like it would scratch the paint if dirt got on the unlined areas. Maybe that's what happened to you jcnesq?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:02 AM
munro86
Racer

Shake it like a blanket before it goes back on to avoid scratches.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:20 AM
OCBen
Banned

That's not a bad idea. Has anyone ever washed these covers? I've washed my cotton blends before but I think that might have contributed to the degradation of the material.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I like about cotton covers. I've used them for over 20 years now and its so nice to wash it at the same time as you wash your car, so that you're not putting a dirty cover on a clean car. The more you wash it the softer it gets too. I once got one of the new space age covers and you could only wash it in the bath tub using Forula 409! What is that? And you couldn't use a dryer because it would destroy the material.

Go cotton, its the best.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Just wondering what you guys think is the best cover available for your 997. Johnny Narcosis already indicated his choice:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...01&postcount=6

What about the silver colored synthetic Techquipment cover, anybody care for this one? I've used cotton blend covers in the past and over time they tend to break down and leave "fiber" dust on the car after you remove the cover. Are the multi-layer covers better at holding up over time?
Let me throw in my 2 cents on why I choose that 4 layer cover vs. the techquipment cover. My garage has been given over to supersized, 20 lb. cats. They're wicked. They're nasty. They plan revenge. If I like something, they sleep on it. If I really like something, they puke on it... it's atonement thing that I've brought upon myself.

Anyway, without that 4 layer Noah cover life as I know it would not be possible. That cover is so tough that Curly and Moe can jump up on the 997, run all over the 997, and even leave strange, not of this world objects on a 997 and yet there is not a scratch, not a mark, nothing unholy penetrates... all is peaceful though the cover itself is thrashed. The techquipment cover is too thin for my punishments. Interestingly, they only take the time to **** on the Cayenne's wheels... otherwise, nothing. Hmmm.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:01 AM
zacharie
Advanced

If you car stays outside, I would suggest 'Stormproof' from coverking and available from Pelicanparts. As named, it is very efficient on bad weather.
If your car stays in a covered garage, then go for the european Tequipment car cover. It's softer, it's also breatheable.

Quick Reply: Car Covers