Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jfraser
This is the company that makes the euro tequipment cover.......These guys make the covers that ship with Ferraris along with the matching steering wheel & seat covers.....I bought a replacement Ferrari cover from them and they also made me a padded quilted cover that I used when I shipped my 360 from the uk to us....
They seem to have significantly reduced their product range (shame)...but if you want an indoor cover they are the best. You can order direct from them, but when I did, they weren't really geared up for it (I had to wire transfer the money)....very Italian!!

http://www.covercar.com/html_ing/ing_index.htm
IIRC, those are the covers that you can get from Gert at Carnewal.com. Very nice indeed.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Let me throw in my 2 cents on why I choose that 4 layer cover vs. the techquipment cover. My garage has been given over to supersized, 20 lb. cats. They're wicked. They're nasty. They plan revenge. If I like something, they sleep on it. If I really like something, they puke on it... it's atonement thing that I've brought upon myself.

Anyway, without that 4 layer Noah cover life as I know it would not be possible. That cover is so tough that Curly and Moe can jump up on the 997, run all over the 997, and even leave strange, not of this world objects on a 997 and yet there is not a scratch, not a mark, nothing unholy penetrates... all is peaceful though the cover itself is thrashed. The techquipment cover is too thin for my punishments. Interestingly, they only take the time to **** on the Cayenne's wheels... otherwise, nothing. Hmmm.
How about living with 4 Saint Bernards, whose drinking water bucket (looks like a kiddy pool!) is in the garage along with the Porsches?
Ever see the movie Beethoven?
Doggie drool dropped (and flung.....can be found 10' up on the walls when they shake their heads after drinking) everywhere.
Solution?
Install a car lift, so as to put the car out of EASY range! Turbo gets the top bunk, covered and (hopefully out of range), Cup car underneath (dog drool, a million bugs splattered on at 160mph....what's the difference) and the Cayenne just has to suffer thru it all (daily driver/tow vehicle....I sort of feel bad for that one)
Old 04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to add the I use the cotton covers only indoors not for out doors.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I forgot to add the I use the cotton covers only indoors not for out doors.
Do you use an outdoor cover when you park it outside, or do you have garage parking at work?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:39 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
My garage has been given over to supersized, 20 lb. cats. They're wicked. They're nasty. They plan revenge. If I like something, they sleep on it. If I really like something, they puke on it...
Gee Johnny, for a minute there I thought you were the one who got saddled with babysitting Siegfried & Roy's cats while Roy recovers. But then I realized you're from that other town in Nevada. But by the sound of it, looks like your cats can do some serious malling of their own. If it were me and I had to choose between the 997 and the cats? Well, but I suspect you'd have to deal with someone first... like maybe the Queen of the cats??? In that case, good thing you've got your Noah cover.
Originally Posted by ltc
How about living with 4 Saint Bernards, whose drinking water bucket (looks like a kiddy pool!) is in the garage along with the Porsches?...
Man, oh man. Those beasts should be in a corral somewhere....with saddles on! Sheesh! Gotta give it to you guys for loving these animals.... or at least tolerating them.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:22 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just park out side and leave it uncovered. Sometimes covering a car in a public parking lot is just asking for trouble.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the one with the color crest and Porsche name on the rear end. Also didn't know there were more than one version. Comes indeed in a nice simple bag and is indeed around $300. So far I like it. I don't use it outside.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:38 PM
05-997Cab
Intermediate

Question Scratches

Thanks for all the good info in this thread. I am just getting used to caring for my new Porsche and was surprised how many people used covers. I always associated covers with scratches. I had a small plane for a while and learned the hard way what a cover can do to paint when a small wind comes up. Sand is blown under the cover and it just destroys the paint. However, I think I must be missing something here....are you guys talking about only using a cover inside or are the covers made for these cars so tight they do not allow sand to blow up inside the cover while it is on the car?
I park the car underneath a carport but it does not have walls and is near the beach so we do get a lot of blowing sand coming across the parking lot. At least it stays out of the sun all the time I guess.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:53 PM
OCBen
Banned

For a minute there I thought you might live somewhere in the Sahara, what with all that blowing sand around. If it's out of the sun I would just leave it uncovered to prevent that possibility you speak of where the sand may potentially get trapped inside the cover and rub against the paint as it gets buffeted by the winds. No sense turning that cover into a giant sheet of sandpaper. Outdoors I use a cover primarily to keep the UV rays off the paint and exposed dash. But if I can park it in a parking structure I won't cover it. At home in the garage I'll use a dust cover.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:08 PM
PV
Pro

Agree with OCBen.

I use the cover if I park the car for a few days (doesn't happen a lot ). I don't put the cover on if is not just washed.

I would not put it on if sand all over it. On the other hand, I would not like to park it in a sand storm too.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:00 PM
MMD
Banned

I got a Porsche OEM cover at Suncoast for like $100-$120. It is a very lightweight indoor cover. But I use it when I park the car in driveway overnight somewhere or under a tree for a few hours. or to keep prying eyes out etc.

I don;t think I like the idea of parking the car outside for long periods (except maybe in SoCal where it's dry) because of moisture and dust. So for me a bulletproof maxi cover is unnecessary.

Plus you have to consider BULKINESS, my lightweight cover is kept in the car at all times and doesn't take up any space. The more serious multilayered "Noah" weather resistent cover will be very bulky and you'll want to leave it home.

One more important point: carry the california duster too, and wipe the car down with it before putting on ANY cover.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
...One more important point: carry the california duster too, and wipe the car down with it before putting on ANY cover.
That's a really good idea. Of course, you might feel a little uncomfortable if others are around and think you're being a bit ****, but hey once you explain your rationale they'll understand....
Old 05-06-2005, 04:00 PM
PV
Pro

Yes, and even they don't understand, who cares, as long as you understand. I'm beyond the point of making people understand why I do certain things. For instance buying a 911. All you guys/ladies understand that point, but there so many people who ask and ask and and ask why.....
Old 05-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Chip McCoy
Intermediate

I'm with JohhnyN, Noah is a great car cover for the 997S...easy to put on by the "ears", lighter, stronger fabric than the EV4 I had for my old 993...and great against Beech tree sap!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:24 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
That's a really good idea. Of course, you might feel a little uncomfortable if others are around and think you're being a bit ****, but hey once you explain your rationale they'll understand....
LOL! yeah, dusting your car starts people thinking all sorts of things. Sometimes I can almost hear them thinking; then I realize it's me talking outloud to myself. Nah, just kidding.

Quick Reply: Car Covers