Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Marino Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005 | 10:07 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default San Marino Grand Prix

Anyone know if Speed or Fox are showing this race live? I can't find a listing for it. Any help on which channel is showing it live would be much appreciated.

MTIA
Old 04-20-2005 | 10:39 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ON CBS
Sun., Apr. 24 Grand Prix of San Marino 1:00-3:00 p.m. Eastern

(Formula 1 has exercised its option to put four races on broadcast television in 2005. The San Marino, Spanish, Canadian and German Grands Prix will be shown on CBS prior to SPEED's delayed telecasts.)
Old 04-20-2005 | 12:40 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Thanks! Pity it's not live though!
Old 04-20-2005 | 03:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

It will be interesting to hear CBS's color commentary. I can't imagine that CBS can find experienced F1 people from the locals. I personally will miss Matchett, Hobbs, and Varsha over on Speed but I guess the silver lining is that real FIA racing is coming to American broadcast TV.

With any luck we'll get the WRC next!
Old 04-20-2005 | 04:02 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I personally miss Murray Walker and James Hunt, but Martin Brundle, Tony Jardine, and James Allen are probably better than anyone over here...as for CBS they've probably got some drongo from commentating on horseshoe throwing
Old 04-20-2005 | 05:43 PM
Ronnie
Instructor

wow, this is a very encouraging thread.

firstly, we're lead to believe that no one in the US likes F1; so good to see that's not true.

secondly, there are only 5 non-pay tv channels in England which everyone can get and we actually get all the races live on that; so that makes a nice change, as we usually get stuff about half a year after you lot.

also, you guys have heard of the legend that is murray walker. sadly james hunt passed on quite a while ago now.
Old 04-20-2005 | 06:37 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I think you mean "If I'm not mistaken..."

I watched just about every race Murray commented on from about 196X after he took over from Raymond Baxter and John Bolster, until I came over here. Murray was unique and irreplacable. Martin Brundle is also great - very sharp comments. They make Bob Varsha and the boys here look like plastic.

Lucky Canada still gets a UK feed I think.
Old 04-20-2005 | 07:01 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I want the UK feed!

I live for this.
Old 04-20-2005 | 07:21 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

To be fair Matchett is good and a recent "insider". Hobbs is a racer, but not with the same insider status as Martin Brundle. Bob Varsha's not bad, but he's a bit of a Swiss Army Knife that get's used all over the commentary deck...
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:19 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

I think Bob Varsha is excellent. Very knowledgable ... very savvy. The guy they had the year before (2003-2004 Season) Rick Debrulle (sp) was REALLY bad ...
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:45 PM
fahren affair
Pro

...They make Bob Varsha and the boys here look like plastic.

can't say i miss derek daly's histrionics either. it was uncomfortable listening to daly and varsha together--and who cares about the driver's off-track lives? as varsha does, when commentating a race. for that, read the gossip rags like f1 or the like.
Old 04-21-2005 | 09:17 AM
CO997
Racer

Maybe because I've not heard the boys from England do a race I kinda like Bob, Steve, David, and Peter. They have pretty sharp comments, Steve does a great job explaining the technical stuff and David gives us his "made up words" for track events that are pretty funny at times. So while they may not be the best in the world they are light years ahead of Rick Debrulle, and the guys doing IRL and CART. What happened to TK on CART, at least he had some fun while doing it??
Old 04-21-2005 | 09:21 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

I like Matchett and Hobbs too, regarding Matchett, it's always great to have real (and recent) insider commenting these, would be even better if it was recent driver though.
In Finland J.J. Lehto is commenting often, some times Mika Hakkinen or Salo and no Keke Rosberg is back there, he is absolutely the best, every time when commentators try to "keep the momentum up" by coming up with these nonsense scenarious, possible problems etc. he always shuts them up and has no problems of saying what he thinks!
He knows a lot and when it's coming from a guy who was first in the world to take Eau Rouge flat out in F1 car , there's some value to it.

One of Keke's classics; one of the cars is smoking from the back heavily (engine's gone)... Here's the translation from Finnish...
COMMENTATOR: "Wow! One of Jordans is smoking, smoke is coming from the back from of those injectors, nozzles, what would you call them Keke?"
KEKE: "In Formula 1, we call them exhaust pipes"
Old 04-21-2005 | 01:28 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

By the way, for anyone interested, Speed is still carrying the San Marino practice and qualifying sessions, even though CBS has the race.
Consult local listings!
Old 04-21-2005 | 01:48 PM
fahren affair
Pro

He [keke] knows a lot and when it's coming from a guy who was first in the world to take Eau Rouge flat out in F1 car

is that written somewhere? finnish pride maybe. he always was an aggressive driver in his day, and was amussing to watch him 'hang-it-all-out'. only villenueve [gilles] bettered him as the showiest driver of all-time. best (worst?) memory of him was being hit by his moped while he was crusing the paddock at the LBGP in the early '80s. he didn't even say sorry.

rob

Quick Reply: San Marino Grand Prix