Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

System Fault - Haw many were doing oil check 1st time they saw it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts
Default System Fault - Haw many were doing oil check 1st time they saw it?

While I washed my car many times I never had let the oil check run it's course because it was usually at a car wash this winter or a quick wash and rush back int the garage thing. When my SFRTW occured this time it was after the car had been sitting quite a while and I did check my oil level. It was at the 0 countdown that the SF occured. I'm grasping at straws, I know, but as i'm driving a BOAT for the 2nd day i'm curious...

Old 04-19-2005, 12:11 PM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SFRTW message came up the morning after a car washing session--I was also checking the oil level at the time--the SFRTW came up before the countdown finished...pretty sure it was at the zero seconds remaining too.

As an update...the car has been fine for one week( including two car washes ) since the changing of the hood latch/solenoid at the dealer.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:30 PM
CO997
Racer

I'm sure this will not help you all very much but... I only wash my car by hand, usually weekly as I live in FL and drive all year. When I dry the car I always open the hood and use a towel to dry the water there, and there is ALWAYS water there. I almost always let the oil check complete before I start the car, have been in quite a few bad rain storms, and to date I have not had the SFRTW message. After saying that I'm sure I'll get the message this weekend right after I was the car
I'm only chiming in to try to help clear up "what might be causing it" to happen.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Gary,

I had not been in the habit of checking my oil level before the SFRTW message appeared. I.e., I would get in the car and simply start the engine immediately w/o waiting for the oil level check. After washing the car for the first time and opening the hood to dry the channels, I got back in the car and again started the engine immediately and the SFRTW message appeared.

BTW, I now do check the oil level each time. When I turn the key to the first position (w/o starting the engine) I see the oil level start to measure and then before it's done, the SFRTW message appears. I have to quickly toggle the lever located on the bottom left side to get to see the engine oil level finish its measurement. After that I start the car and immediately the SFRTW message appears with the red "!".

Last edited by Balloonmeister; 04-19-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

what does SFRWT mean?

I don't have a 997 I'm new at this
Old 04-19-2005, 04:47 PM
CO997
Racer

I believe it's - System Fault Return to Workshop
Old 04-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Balloonmeister
Gary,

I had not been in the habit of checking my oil level before the SFRTW message appeared. I.e., I would get in the car and simply start the engine immediately w/o waiting for the oil level check. After washing the car for the first time and opening the hood to dry the channels, I got back in the car and again started the engine immediately and the SFRWT message appeared.
Hmmm.. the day my system fault occured was also the first time I had ever wiped down the plastic channels beneath the bonnet. Maybe there is a "SFRTW Button" under there we are hitting!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Hmmm.. the day my system fault occured was also the first time I had ever wiped down the plastic channels beneath the bonnet. Maybe there is a "SFRTW Button" under there we are hitting!
Well, there's clearly something going on here. I'm getting the 'puter reset on Thursday. Then I'm going to wash the car but NOT open the hood until a few days later when it's dry to clean out the channels. I'll see if my SFRTW message appears.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:12 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

i WIPE DOWN UNDER THE "HOOD" EVERY WEEK AND HAVE HAD NO SFRTW..........

TO MANY DAMN COMUTER CONTROLLED THINGS IN THIS CAR....
Old 04-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Uh-oh... its the infamous SFTCLO (System Fault Turn Caps Lock Off)..

Quick Reply: System Fault - Haw many were doing oil check 1st time they saw it?