Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997: Module for Telephone PCM/Pedal placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005 | 12:06 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Default New 997: Module for Telephone PCM/Pedal placement

Just picked up my 997. Got the regular one without PASM as I wanted. Right options for me. I have Module for Telephone PCM - how does this work, which phones are compatible? Also, compared to my 986S and 996GT3 the brake pedal is definitely higher than gas pedal when braking. I'm finding heel toeing difficult compared to what I'm used to. I don't like the rubber inserts on pedal compared to full rubber. Anyone else notice this compared to 996/986? Normal shifter kind of rubbery - I have to get short shift. Otherwise grreat car! Thanks
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riz
Just picked up my 997. Got the regular one without PASM as I wanted. Right options for me. I have Module for Telephone PCM - how does this work, which phones are compatible? Also, compared to my 986S and 996GT3 the brake pedal is definitely higher than gas pedal when braking. I'm finding heel toeing difficult compared to what I'm used to. I don't like the rubber inserts on pedal compared to full rubber. Anyone else notice this compared to 996/986? Normal shifter kind of rubbery - I have to get short shift. Otherwise grreat car! Thanks
First of all forget the crappy implementation of phone in your car.. You will spend $1000.00 and have to swap out your GSM SIM card (IF it works!) to use it. Get a good GSM phone and a BlueTooth headset and you will be light-years ahead of this archaic setup.

As far as the pedals go, get the Carnewal pedals and you will be a lot happier. Between the difference in thickness and the wearing in of your brakes you will find them a LOT better than original. Rennline should be coming out with some quality pedals by Hershey that will be a PERFECT fit in a 997... ask me how I know!

For the shifter, ask your dealer to put in writing that changing to a non-OEM shifter won't void your warrenty...OR put in the OEM short-shift kit. Either way you should be happy from the sounds of it, i'm still holding on that..
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:37 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The telephone is GSM and all you have to do is put a SIM card in the drawer an you are up and talking (Cingular, AT&T, T Mobile).
For me Heel & Toe is a waste of time and a bit of a pain to do since your not into braking HARD, but on the track...NO problem on the 997 and no different than it was with my 996
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
The telephone is GSM and all you have to do is put a SIM card in the drawer an you are up and talking (Cingular, AT&T, T Mobile).
For me Heel & Toe is a waste of time and a bit of a pain to do since your not into braking HARD, but on the track...NO problem on the 997 and no different than it was with my 996
Sorry MJ, but I WISH all you had to do was toss your SIM card in.... even MY bull*%$^ saleman said it would cost "a couple hundred dollars" to turn on... its $1000.00 here in CT...

While i'm at it.. don't buy a car from HOFFMAN PORSCHE in CT... or you WILL be sorry.

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-16-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2005 | 10:08 AM
billc23
1st Gear

Hi Gary, why not buy from Hoffman? I pick up my 996 from in Bridgeport but have used Hoffman for service. I have been pleased with the service and was considering buying a 997 from them. Bill
Old 04-16-2005 | 10:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billc23
Hi Gary, why not buy from Hoffman? I pick up my 996 from in Bridgeport but have used Hoffman for service. I have been pleased with the service and was considering buying a 997 from them. Bill
Glad you asked Bill!

They did this when mounting my rear license plate -

When I brought it back the service manager at first tried to fluff it off by saying "you don't see it with the plate on".. that made me a bit.... anxious. I then got an estimate to replace and repaint the cover. Also told them I would be glad to have then take an undamaged cover off another Guards Res 997S. I showed them the estimate (just under $1509.00), offered to accept $1200.00 in parts/service just to end it and take care of it at my leisure. They said they could patch it up and offered $300 parts/service. I said see you in court. I actually called Bradley Hoffman (listed as owner) before filing a lawsuit as a last gesture and he wouldn't so much as return my call!

Sound like someone you want to do business with? Also be aware that they have let all their corporate entities lapse, so no sure WHAT that is leading up to..

PLEASE go see the guys in Fairfield or the beautiful new delership in Danbury!
Old 04-16-2005 | 11:02 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sorry MJ, but I WISH all you had to do was toss your SIM card in.... even MY bull*%$^ saleman said it would cost "a couple hundred dollars" to turn on... its $1000.00 here in CT...
The way I read Riz post was
I have Module for Telephone PCM
which lead me to believe that the car came equiped with Option 666 and the module was installed, and if that is the case it's drop a SIM card in and go!
If not you, are correct...
I must say that the phone implementation and sound quality are very good, and phonebook and controls appear in the OBC under the tach, keeping your eyes on the road ahead.

Riz will need to clarify this point
Old 04-16-2005 | 11:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

The way I read Riz post was which lead me to believe that the car came equiped with Option 666 and the module was installed, and if that is the case it's drop a SIM card in and go!
You may well be correct MJ and it is I that misread... I took it to mean he had the SIM card drawer version of the PCM and it was like mine.. What does the option cost if you order it with the car?

Also, though I would like it i've decided to simply upgrade my phone to a nice Bluetooth model and go with a headset. I can get a VERY nice PDA running Windows CE, built in wireless and Bluetooth, for under $500.00... The Bluetooth phone to replace my Motorola V400 (V551?) is only a $100 upgrade (+$65 for the headset) also.
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gary-
Option 666 as ordered is $960.
Interesting to note that it is an 8w transmit power as well.
Old 04-16-2005 | 02:00 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

The way I read Riz post was which lead me to believe that the car came equiped with Option 666 and the module was installed, and if that is the case it's drop a SIM card in and go!
If not you, are correct...
I must say that the phone implementation and sound quality are very good, and phonebook and controls appear in the OBC under the tach, keeping your eyes on the road ahead.

Riz will need to clarify this point
Just another converted user of the option 666, GSM module for the PCM. Well integrated and with a suprisingly good audio quality from the microphone...the usual downfall of integrated car phones.

IMHO, it's better than a bluetooth headset as it will mute the audio display the caller or search the phone book all from controls on the steering wheel. BUT, it's not as good as my wife's integrated bluetooth car phone in her Lexus which gives her the option of phones...and was standard...
Old 04-17-2005 | 09:24 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Yes MJones: it did come with option 666. I just want to make use of it now. Thanks
Old 07-17-2005 | 08:22 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Sorry to dreg up an old thread, but what is involved in having this option installed after the fact? I have a 997s with the PCM unit, but dropping the SIM card in did not work...I would like to use the PCM enabled phone as I hate headsets.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2005 | 08:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

A trip to the dealer and about $1000.00.....
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:42 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

On the pedals, I highly recommend the Carnewal pedals (same as Ruf without the Ruf logo). Easy to install and you can probably move the pedals a little to where you want them.

I recently installed the OEM short shifter. On 996, the price difference between B&M and OEM was much larger ($200 v $500), but I think Brandywine Porsche (Pennsylvania) is selling the OEM short shifter on ebay (and probably direct) for only $329. I went with OEM and dealer install which should avoid any warranty issues.
Old 07-18-2005 | 01:46 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

So, with option 666, do you have to have an "unlocked" SIM card?

Quick Reply: New 997: Module for Telephone PCM/Pedal placement